BTEC HNDs in Thailand – an International Student’s Perspective

IVBE

21-year-old Matt Svenningsen is a British passport holder of Danish descent. He was brought up in Swaziland and educated in South Africa. While his background might seem pretty exotic, it has caused him a number of problems as far as higher education is concerned.

“I went back to the United Kingdom under the impression that I would be eligible for a student loan,” Matt told us. “But to cut a long story short, because of my history, I wasn’t. The only real option open to me was paying 9,000 pounds a year in course fees, which at the time, just wasn’t an option at all.”

1891296_599828143433013_944117091_n.jpg

With his higher education plans put on the backburner, Matt came to work in Thailand and with experience working at private schools in the United Kingdomquickly found a job working as an assistant Housemaster at The Regent’s International School in Bangkok. It was here that he first heard about Regent’s International College and the BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) qualifications it offers.

The BTEC HND is a British qualification tied to the United Kingdom's vocational education system. The qualification was shaped using input from British industry and commerce and designed to meet the UK's need for skilled, competent people in the workforce. People in the UK that are motivated to enter the job market often take HNDs instead of full degree programs. Being tied to the UK's vocational education system, the HND is recognized internationally, meaning the qualification helps people move into the job market in a wide range of industries and countries.

Being tied to the UK's vocational education system, BTEC HNDs are recognized internationally. Over 250 universities and educational institutions recognize the qualification, meaning that with a BTEC HND you can complete a degree in countries that include the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the EU, Hong Kong, and Singapore, although whether your can move directly onto the final year of a degree program depends on the program and the country. HND holders might move onto the second of a four year program in the United Sates, for instance.

“The BTEC HNDs on offer here in Thailand have been a bit of a godsend actually,” suggested Matt. “Right now I am taking an HND in Business Management. It’s a two-year course and at the end of that I will have a qualification that will allow me to go back to the United Kingdom and move directly onto the final year of a Bachelor’s degree program. I will finally get the degree I have been looking for. Studying at Regent’s International College is very affordable, and by taking the first two years of a British degree in Thailand it puts getting a degree well within my reach.”

Taking a BTEC HND in Thailand over two years and moving onto a degree at a British university offers a cost saving of around 30% over studying entirely in the United Kingdom. At current exchange rates fees of around 250,000 Baht a year represent about half the cost of course fees at a British university. When you take into account the cost of accommodation in the United Kingdom and the cost of living, studying an HND in Thailand offers those interested in studying at a British university substantial savings. But what about quality?

“I am very happy with the education I am receiving from Regent’s International College. I can see the relevance of everything I am studying as it applies to the real world. It’s all very practical, and I am especially pleased by the fact that the teachers on the course are not straight out of college. They’ve all been involved in business in one way or another and they know their stuff. If I have a query they can use their experience to make things clear.”

So what is next for Matt after his BTEC HND in Thailand? “I am looking at a number of Bachelor degree courses in the UK at the moment. I am looking at the University of Sussex, and the University of Salford has a Business Accounting course that is interesting – after my HND I’d be going onto the third year of a four year program. Fortunately, there are a number of options open to me now.”

Those interested in learning more about BTEC HNDs in Thailand should visit the IVBE website, send us a Private Message, or leave a comment below.

• 2 months later...

BTEC HND's are progressively being phased out (dumped) in British universities in favour of Foundation degrees or other. As more and more institutions receive university accreditation, the bidding down of entry qualifications particularly at clearing have killed the HND. There are, however, a number of overseas institutions offering HND 'equivalent' courses whose sole purpose is to secure direct entry to year 3 of a degree preferably with a franchise partner. Standards are quite variable, the entry criteria iffy and if a private college don't ask about IELTS.