Can you reccommend a specific air purifier?

luther

Very interesting...

So to summarize, an a/c with Filtrete material does a good job of removing the larger PM10 particulates, with average results for PM2.5 removal. The dedicated air filter does a great job with both, according to your results.

More on atmospheric particulate matter here.

Well, perhaps, depending on what you think average results are.

To tell the truth, I am having a lot of trouble getting anywhere close to the "fair" air rating quoted by Dylos when I measure the effect of the AC with 3M at my friends apartment in the city. The Filtrete is presumably working since the particles larger than pm2.5 are much reduced inside compared to the outside, but I see very little effect on the pm2.5 and smaller particles. But I will wait till I have analysed more of the data before I conclude anything. I should also remove the Filtrete from the AC in the city and do some measurements on the AC without Filtrete, like I did in house. The city AC has something called "Virus Doctor", which is supposed to have some extra air filtration effects (and perhaps hives of harmful ozone too? Dunno. :-/) Will see what I have time/motivation to do.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awk, I'd like to suggest the following experiment (if possible) in order to determine how well rain (or a water-based filtering device) may clean air pollution:

1) Open windows in shower room for 1 hour;

2) Close windows in shower room and take particle measurements at that point in time;

3) Run shower for 20-30 minutes whilst taking particle measurements;

4) Post results here.

Since "the site and extent of absorption of inhaled gases and vapors are determined by their solubility in water", this may give us some interesting results and additional food for thought.

my hack is to to use 2 layers of Filtrete over the intake which is on top of my unit.

I use small amount of tape to hold down the edges.

Just off the cuff measurement where I put my eye ball near the A/C's outflow and notice less eye irritation than using the filtrete over the internal filter. My theory is don't suck dirty air into the unit at all.

I might try adding a layer to internal filter next for a total of 3 layers.

It would be interesting to compare the two Filtrete layers in a few days - this will tell us how efficient a single layer of the material is.

If that second layer is found to be clean, then it's likely that the only thing it is doing is impeding a/c airflow.

the second layer gets noticeably darker/dirtier than fresh new paper but significantly less dark than first or primary layer.

I just checked mine after having the 2 layers in place for about 5 days now.

excellent idea to compare the two. thanks!!

Very interesting...

So to summarize, an a/c with Filtrete material does a good job of removing the larger PM10 particulates, with average results for PM2.5 removal. The dedicated air filter does a great job with both, according to your results.

More on atmospheric particulate matter here.

Well, perhaps, depending on what you think average results are.

To tell the truth, I am having a lot of trouble getting anywhere close to the "fair" air rating quoted by Dylos when I measure the effect of the AC with 3M at my friends apartment in the city. The Filtrete is presumably working since the particles larger than pm2.5 are much reduced inside compared to the outside, but I see very little effect on the pm2.5 and smaller particles. But I will wait till I have analysed more of the data before I conclude anything. I should also remove the Filtrete from the AC in the city and do some measurements on the AC without Filtrete, like I did in house. The city AC has something called "Virus Doctor", which is supposed to have some extra air filtration effects (and perhaps hives of harmful ozone too? Dunno. :-/) Will see what I have time/motivation to do.

I was wondering, have you ever tested dyi air purifiers, made of a box fan & a HEPA filter (http://smartairfilters.com/#data) ?

I always to tend think that you get what you pay for, but would be curious to know if you ever tested that method, since you have a measuring device.

We used BlueAir air purifiers where we lived before and were happy with it, but considering the costs per unit, an alternative solution would be nice.

Awk, I'd like to suggest the following experiment (if possible) in order to determine how well rain (or a water-based filtering device) may clean air pollution:

2) Close windows in shower room and take particle measurements at that point in time;

4) Post results here.

Since "the site and extent of absorption of inhaled gases and vapors are determined by their solubility in water", this may give us some interesting results and additional food for thought.

That is an interesting idea. Will perhaps also give an indication on what the effect of the local city workers spraying water into the air is.

I will see if I can do, provided I can seal of my particle counter satisfactory. I am concerned about exposing it to the moistness in the shower room for so long, especially since the fan on the particle counter, which I will need to leave exposed, will be drawing in moist air.

I was wondering, have you ever tested dyi air purifiers, made of a box fan & a HEPA filter (http://smartairfilters.com/#data) ?

I always to tend think that you get what you pay for, but would be curious to know if you ever tested that method, since you have a measuring device.

We used BlueAir air purifiers where we lived before and were happy with it, but considering the costs per unit, an alternative solution would be nice.

Do you mean something like the attached image? Don't laugh if not.

The fan has 3M Filtrete wrapped around most of it, and that is the only diy-thing I have tried (except 3M Filtrete on AC of course).

I included some measurements, as well as a reference to where I got the idea (from a guy who has a lot of information about a similar, but presumably

much more professional diy-setup) in the PDF attached to this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692704-smoke-smog-dust-2014-chiang-mai/?view=findpost&p=7500352

I was running such a fan setup in one bedroom while still analysing whether I should purchase an AC with 3M Filtrete for that bedroom, or an additional Blueair unit. Was wishfully hoping AC with 3M Filtrete would be good enough for a long, long, time. Having already spent 35,000+ on one Blueair unit, I was not happy about doing it again and would much have preferred to buy a decent, and in practice much more usable, AC at half the price.

I agree that Blueair is very costly. Suspect I am paying quite a bit extra for the "Made in Sweden"-effect. Though now it is of course no longer made in Sweden. The price however is the same as it was when it was made in Sweden I believe.

post-42228-0-47818000-1394552939_thumb.p

Edited by Awk

The fan has 3M Filtrete wrapped around most of it, and that is the only diy-thing I have tried (except 3M Filtrete on AC of course).

I included some measurements, as well as a reference to where I got the idea (from a guy who has a lot of information about a similar, but presumably

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692704-smoke-smog-dust-2014-chiang-mai/?view=findpost&p=7500352post-181209-0-63156800-1394589228_thumb.post-181209-0-63156800-1394589228_thumb.

I was running such a fan setup in one bedroom while still analysing whether I should purchase an AC with 3M Filtrete for that bedroom, or an additional Blueair unit. Was wishfully hoping AC with 3M Filtrete would be good enough for a long, long, time. Having already spent 35,000+ on one Blueair unit, I was not happy about doing it again and would much have preferred to buy a decent, and in practice much more usable, AC at half the price.

I agree that Blueair is very costly. Suspect I am paying quite a bit extra for the "Made in Sweden"-effect. Though now it is of course no longer made in Sweden. The price however is the same as it was when it was made in Sweden I believe.

Hi Awk,

Not laughing, we all try to find a solution to the pbm. What I was referring to looks a bit more "sophisticated" but idea remains the same. You probably did not get the link I posted: using a fan + a HEPA filter. Hopefully the attachment works this time.

And here are 2 links:

http://smartairfilters.com/#data

HEPA filters are more advanced than 3M Filtrete. Blueair, IQair, etc... all use HEPA filters

Well I guess, I'll have to try it for myself and buy the Dylos device to measure. Did you have to buy the device from overseas or it can be found in Thailand ?

You could I guess buy the replaceable filter from the Hatari for 500 baht and add it to a fully sealled boxfan. Only problem I would see is posible load on the fan and life and noise as I understand most fans use bush bearings and not ball bearings.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692704-smoke-smog-dust-2014-chiang-mai/?view=findpost&p=7500352attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-12 at 8.52.11 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-12 at 8.52.11 AM.png

Hi Awk,

Not laughing, we all try to find a solution to the pbm. What I was referring to looks a bit more "sophisticated" but idea remains the same. You probably did not get the link I posted: using a fan + a HEPA filter. Hopefully the attachment works this time.

And here are 2 links:

http://smartairfilters.com/#data

HEPA filters are more advanced than 3M Filtrete. Blueair, IQair, etc... all use HEPA filters

Well I guess, I'll have to try it for myself and buy the Dylos device to measure. Did you have to buy the device from overseas or it can be found in Thailand ?

I think the url you posted (not the one to youtube) is from the same guy I mention in my pdf, from where I got the idea.

The youtube test is of somewhat limited interest, imo, because as the guy at smartairfilters say, you need to know how the air at the output of the air purifier correlates with the air in the room. E.g., at the output of the Blueair I can get down to 20-30 particles at times, but if I move the particle counter somewhere else in the room, it will show a minimum of 10 times that amount. But it is a start of course, as if the air coming out of the purification device (be it diy or off the shelf product) is of inadequate quality, then that device probably does not work well enough for practical use. Amongst other things one needs to at least account for new, presumably dirty, air continuously seeping in of course, so the rate the device filters the air at needs to be high enough to not be overloaded by new air constantly coming in. I've worked in Beijing myself for some months, and in my experience, the quality of the homes there is much superior to the ones in Thailand, at least as far as isolation goes. This is necessary to reduce heating costs during winter of course, and presumably it also means that there is considerably less air from the outside continuously seeping in, compared to the average home here in Chiang Mai.

And no, I have not tried using a real hepa filter attached to a regular fan myself, only tried the 3M Filtrete I show in the photo.

I ordered the Dylos device from Dylos in USA, when working abroad last year. Think that is the same device (but different model perhaps) the guy at smartairfilters is using, who also seems to have published quite thorough tests.

PS: if ordering, try to get them to mark it as some sort of portable computer (which it after all is). There is no tax on that in Thailand, apart from the 7% VAT. Oh, and voltage is an issue of course.

Edited by Awk

4) Post results here.

That is an interesting idea. Will perhaps also give an indication on what the effect of the local city workers spraying water into the air is.

I will see if I can do, provided I can seal of my particle counter satisfactory. I am concerned about exposing it to the moistness in the shower room for so long, especially since the fan on the particle counter, which I will need to leave exposed, will be drawing in moist air.

Unfortunately I do not think I will do that. I sent an email to Dylos slightly after posting the above, and got a reply back from them that they think it is likely that some condensation will occur internally under those conditions, and a subsequent risk of damage under prolonged use. Sorry. :-/

• 1 year later...