Buying a new camera, where and what do you advise?

junglechef

Looking for a good quality camera, either a SLR or high end Point and Shoot. Will be used mainly for uploading on internet (Facebook) and keeping in my laptop. Want something small enough so easy to carry around and if could put into a backpack and take cycling even better. I don't use to many of the fancy settings but like the useful functions and movie mode would be great. Price not too much of a concern. Any help would be appreciated.

As mentioned, Photo Bug. Also Big Camera at Central Festival I believe has a lot of choices. You might look at the Panasonic GX7 (mirrorless micro 4/3). Fairly compact similar to the RX100 but larger sensor.

• Like 2

After having compact sonys for years, I decided Thailand deserves a better camera.

After reading reviews and advice opted for the entry level nikon slr.D3100

It looks the part but after one year still too many dials and buttons for me.

Tend to use the auto focus or the close up auto. Photos I create are fantastic especially insects and reptiles in the garden.

Camera has full editing facility, battery lasts for hundreds of photos.

Not as convenient as a mobile phone camera in that you need a bag to carry it. Think here it is 15k

Canon do an equivalent, same price and spec.

And yes it has movie mode but I never used it.post-150623-13941092326045_thumb.jpg

The beer bottle is simply for scale!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the sony and cannon are the two I've seen rec in reviews. I've done business with photobug previously and have been more than satisfied and plan on stopping in tomorrow. Still open to any and all opinions but will take these into serious consideration.

I'm retiring my SLR Cannon 300D I bought in BKK 10 yrs ago. It had a good life and served me well, before that had top of the line pocket sony. But as technology has gotten so much better I thought that going back to point and shoot might be as good as I need. As I always wanted a Nikon I thought that's what I'd get next ( I love the sound if the shutter) but they don't seem to be rated in the category but the one hand mid-size is with considering and will check them out too on your generous advise.

Look at the Sony cyber-shot DSC-HX20V. It has 18mp and 20x optical zoom and takes an excellent shot and fits easily into the front pocket. Not sure of local price but paid around 10,000baht in Singapore a year ago.

• Like 1

I have an unusual recommendation: the LG G2 smartphone 32 GB. Its 18 MP camera with autofocus is great. Its image stabilizer is good so you can take pictures of the text on labels, etc. and they are clearly readable. The phone will also translate text from just about any language into any other that you choose. It's expensive at more than 17,000 THB but you get a good camera and a great phone as well in a very portable size. Take a look at one. You'll be amazed! If you have the Cameraroll add-on to Microsoft OneDrive, your photos will be uploaded automatically to OneDrive once you set it up. No need for SD cards!

• Like 1

I'm retiring my SLR Cannon 300D I bought in BKK 10 yrs ago. It had a good life and served me well, before that had top of the line pocket sony. But as technology has gotten so much better I thought that going back to point and shoot might be as good as I need. As I always wanted a Nikon I thought that's what I'd get next ( I love the sound if the shutter) but they don't seem to be rated in the category but the one hand mid-size is with considering and will check them out too on your generous advise.

Presuming you might go DSLR again?

Take a look at this website and see how high the sensors are rated http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings

Obviously the lens is just as important but you might find it helpful, some of the cheaper cameras like the Nikon 5200 3200 have fairly impressive sensor ratings for the price.

You can also check lenses on there at various apertures and choose what body and check overall sharpness details etc...

The sony rx-100 as stated is a good point and shoot so is the canon S95 although its a few years older and probably superceeded (typo?) by a newer better model.

• Like 1

Just bought canon S120. Has wifi so you can upload your photos to your phone and facebook straight away.

Bought it for the wife for christmas so I wouldnt have to carry the damn nikon D90 around on holidays etc.

S120 just slips into your pocket.

14990 in nearly all camera stores in Thailand

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

• Like 2

All the cameras folks have listed here will do you well.

If money isn't any option I'd like to add the Olympus

OM-D-E-M1 and a couple lenses of your choosing.

here's a link to a decent review/field report...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus_om_d_e_m1_rolling_field_report.shtml

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Keep Shooting!

• Like 1

Yes I've heard the Olympus is the best, I believe it was launched in Thailand 2 days ago. Thanks for the link! Have to go put them in my hands and decide as I want to take it with me on my mt bike trips in the wilderness so the Sony might be a good way to go also.

Edited by junglechef

Yes I've heard the Olympus is the best, I believe it was launched in Thailand 2 days ago. Thanks for the link!

Actually it was launched a few months ago as I have the OM-D EM-1 since then. It is a top camera and rated the best in its class but not exactly pocket portable. Certainly more portable then a full dSLR and performance has proven to meet or exceed many dSLRs. It is a pro camera and the weight and build quality attests to that. You might peek around in the Photography forum, specifically the subforum on hardware where there is a topic on it and examples from members using it.

Here is the link - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/675666-the-olympus-om-d-e-m1/

I tend to think far too long when trying to select a new camera. People at photography and Arts forum has been a great source if advices and general information of the topic.. Many of them have been commenting here already.

As others already mentioned, for the pocketable cameras Sony RX-100 and Canon S95/S100/S110/S120 are great cameras and have excellent image quality/volume ratio.

Super zoom / bridge cameras can be very handy all-around cameras with less weight compared to the dslr's and micro/thirds. I had Canon SX50HS for a year and loved it for it's 50x optical zoom.

Now got the previously mentioned Olympus older brother OM-D EM-5, which was less than half the price (30.000B) of the OM-D EM-1 75.000B price tag.

You can look at the Samsung range with wifi or also the Nikkon V1. My wife got the Nikkon J 1 which is the model before the V 1 and it takes great photo's, light weight, two lenses etc. Depending on the quality photo's you need, you can look at the Olympus u-tough its water proof, shock proof and the newer versions got wifi. I've got the old version and its great for snorkeling, songkran, a more active lifestyle camera. If you go for a bigger camera there is a small shop in Fashion island (3rd floor around the corner from Big camera) that normaly have good prices on Nikkon's and Cannon's (SLR), normally better prices than the bigger shops. If you are going to spend B 30 000 upwards it could pay you to buy in KL, prices are about 40% lower than in Thailand.

Lumix LX3 is still just about the best, most useable camera I've ever owned. Originally about 20k comparable models are now between 10 and 17k.

this model spawned a whole generation of high-end compact digitals. Virtually every manufacturer does one now.

Things to look for (or not)

DON"T think that millions of mega-pixels makes a better camera...if the hardware and Sensor aren't any good it doesn't matter how many pixels they claim, it won't make a blind bit of difference.

ZOOM - how much zoom do you REALLY need? - again this can be a bit of a "testosterone thing" too - More zoom, more megapixels must mean better camera....not so.

Lumix arre fitted with Leica lenses and have relatively large sensors - the wide angle on the LX3 and picture quality is astounding. But it had almost no zoom....this never really became a problem for me. Later models LX5/7 etc. had more zoom available.

LOW LIGHT - a good sensor will perform well in low light.....it is amazing what great photos you can get inside or at night with no flash.

FLASH - Check if there's a hot shoe for an external flash; not all cameras have one these days.....will you ever need one if not the cameras available are eve more compact.

ACCESSORIES - most of the hi-end compacts have a range of accessories (telephoto, flash, viewfinders etc) HOWEVER - you may well find that these are not available in Thailand. Check out this if you feel the need for bolt-on goodies.

MANUAL OPERATION - Most of this type of camera have a good range of manual overrides sop you ca play with DOF etc....check what they can/can't do.

BTW - I'm not recommending Lumix in particular - I think you are spoiled for choice in this part of the market at present and prices are coming down.

If you already have a particular brand of Camera you are used to, it can make sense to stick with that brand - for a start your computer software will be installed for that brand and you won't have to re-learn interfaces etc.

The reason for the fall-off in hi-end compacts is partly due to the publics overwhelming desire for MACRO/FOUR-THIRDS - If you feel you want interchangeable lens and the like, maybe a 4/3s system would suit.

However once you buy one of these, that is only half the price or less - you'll end up paying 2 or 3 times that in lenses, filters etc....... also you'll suddenly find your camera equipment isn't half as compact as you'd hoped.

COMPATIBILTY - it is worth considering she buying a 4/3 or similar how restricted the range of accessories is....Are you restricted to only one brand/range (Sony for instant) Olympus and Lumix share the same technology and a lot of their stuff is interchangeable. I believe you will also find a few spurious manufacturers who make stuff too.

Again you need to check if these cameras have hot shoes and what they will and won't do.

I have a 4/3 Lumix which I love but it simply doesn't get the usage that the LX3 gets - it is compact light takes excellent photos and can be carried always.

one other tip - one might consider getting a waterproof camera bag - they are usually safe to about 3 or 5 metres and great if you are doing a lot go "outdoorsie" stuff.

Edited by wilcopops

If you're mainly shooting for facebook uploads or general sharing, several phones on the market now take very good photos (after a bit of touch-up with Photoshop). I have a Samsung S4 Mini and since I bought it I seldom bother to lug my Cannon camera around anymore. The main pro is that you always have your phone with you. The main con being no optical zoom.

I have the Nikon D 80 . Nikon is a good buy in Thailand ( They are made here )

May sounds like a weird question - but do you like 'bokeh'? You know that nice effect for portrait shots where the background is all fuzzy and the subject seems to really stand out. Or those cool blobs of bright light from out of focus lights in a night shot.

If you want that effect - you need a camera with a large-ish sensor - as this allows you to control depth of field (what's in focus and what is not). Any DSLR or the Lumix GX7, Olympus EPL's, Fuji x100, E-X2 and the Canon GX1 can do this trick as they have decent sized sensors. There's also the added benefit of less noise in low light shots. The Sony RX100 can also do a decent job of bokeh and low light - but not quite up to the others as it's sensor is a bit smaller.

If bokeh and low light are not your priority - and you only need small size photos for web use and viewing on screen - then as others have said why not go for a good camera phone? Nokia are the best but the new Sony Xperia Z2 due out next month is even waterproof for your trips out.

Or a waterproof compact such as the ones from Olympus or Lumix?

When I was a young bloke I was mad keen on photography. Owned a string of cameras from a humble Pentax to a big Hasselblad.

Got quite involved, even did my own colour processing. But my favorite camera was a simple Minolta SR-101. I used it for decades.

When digital cameras came along I hesitated, as frankly I was confused by all the options.

Eventually I jumped in and bought a little Minolta DiMAGE X20, simply because of my fondness for my old Minolta.

That little Minolta was wonderful. Its folded optics meant that it was very small, but gave excellent results, and it had an amazing Macro facility.

Unfortunately it eventually developed faults, but I was able to repair it a number of times by buying dead ones on ebay and swapping the bits around.

It survived many trips to LOS but was eventually drowned one Songkran.

So i read all the reviews and eventually bought the well regarded Cannon S90.

Long story short: I hate the bloody thing.

It has an overly complex and messy menu system with essential functions completely missing in some modes.

It has a lousy auto-focus which is slow and frequently balks when I need to take a candid shot.

And many of the shots it does take are out of focus.

I'm sure that it's an excellent camera, and of course it's all my fault.

These days I simply want a quality "point and shoot" camera which works.

So many of my electronics gear seems to have excessively complex and illogical menu systems.

Unless I use them daily I forget the finer details.

I hope that one day I'll find another digital camera that I like.

Edited by jackflash

When I was a young bloke I was mad keen on photography. Owned a string of cameras from a humble Pentax to a big Hasselblad.

Got quite involved, even did my own colour processing. But my favorite camera was a simple Minolta SR-101. I used it for decades.

When digital cameras came along I hesitated, as frankly I was confused by all the options.

Eventually I jumped in and bought a little Minolta DiMAGE X20, simply because of my fondness for my old Minolta.

That little Minolta was wonderful. Its folded optics meant that it was very small, but gave excellent results, and it had an amazing Macro facility.

Unfortunately it eventually developed faults, but I was able to repair it a number of times by buying dead ones on ebay and swapping the bits around.

It survived many trips to LOS but was eventually drowned one Songkran.

So i read all the reviews and eventually bought the well regarded Cannon S90.

Long story short: I hate the bloody thing.

It has an overly complex and messy menu system with essential functions completely missing in some modes.

It has a lousy auto-focus which is slow and frequently balks when I need to take a candid shot.

And many of the shots it does take are out of focus.

I'm sure that it's an excellent camera, and of course it's all my fault.

These days I simply want a quality "point and shoot" camera which works.

I own so many pieces of electronic gear which seem to have excessively complex and illogical menu systems.

Unless I use them daily I forget the finer details.

I hope that one day I'll find another digital camera that I like.

Perhaps it's our age - but I agree 100%!

But ..... have you looked at the Fuji X100 and X-E2? Set aperture using a proper aperture ring on the lens. Set shutter speed with a proper dial on the top plate. Adjust exposure compensation with a simple dial showing + and - . Or just set it to auto.

Yes it has an on-screen menu and WIFI if you need to delve into the settings - but 99% of the time you can use proper manual controls.

If I'd not already invested in micro 4/3 lenses I would buy the X-E2 tomorrow.

For the OP - worth looking at the X100 to see if it fits your needs?

Olympus use to be years ahead with digital camera technology but I am not sure after the recent crisis in the company if they are still up to par. I have a 13 year old Olympus with one of the best zoom lenses out there(10 x optical- only 2.1m/pix) for point and shoot can't beat that. But depends on your budget- I spend 50K on the EOS 7 D but don't take it on bicycle/motorcycle trips due to size)

The Panasonic Lumix range are well worth looking at , small, lightweight , lotf different modes and even with a small zoom lens fits quite easily into a bum bag. While you're at it it's worth looking into "eye fi" which makes the downloading so easy that even I can do it.

If you want to take photos for posting on the web or Facebook then a Nikon Coolpix 16MP will be great. Check out my photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/markeewan/ This camera will cost you around 2000 Baht at Central Festival Photo Hut

The only thing you will not be able to do is control your depth of field, but you will be able to practice your composition technique.

As 95% of photography is composition if you are just starting out then get a cheap point and shoot to find out what your photography preference is, then go for a Nikon or Canon DLSR or mirrorless camera to do more fancy things.

• Like 1