The Olympus OM-D E-M1

post-146250-0-59768900-1382159328_thumb.

Front view.

post-146250-0-74789700-1382159338_thumb.

Rear view.

post-146250-0-70297400-1382159319_thumb.

In the hand view.

Every now & then a camera comes along that catches my eye or ears when I
see it or hear about it and my mind when I read about it. And believe me when
I say that mirrorless cameras with trustworthy/troublefree electronic viewfinders
are the future of digital cameras. Please believe me! Because I reckon within 5 to
10 years all cameras will be mirrorless..even professional Canikons.

What's a Canikon? Either Canon's or Nikon's clumped into a camera bag.

The APS-C vs Full Frame Dilemma...

Camera makers have jumped on Canon's marketing idea of telling the world
they (Canon) use "full frame" sensors. This is really a great strategy and it is
very misleading because what actually is full frame and full frame compared
to what...Medium format (2-1/4 x 2-1/4)? I reckon camera makers should
define full frame as full size 35mm frame instead. I mean my D800 is full frame
however compared to my Hassie H4D-50 which has a 50MP sensor in it...well
full frame descriptions go right out the window don't they. And there are very
much larger full frame sensors out there which only governments have enough
money to buy and stick into things like the Hubble Space telescope or intelligence
gathering satellites with less than quarter meter resolution from 25K miles up.

The two major differences in APS-C & full 35mm frame sensors in cameras
is...resolution for those big pictures when initially shot on RAW and $$$$$.
That's it in a nutshell. Sure there's more but I'm gonna exit before the gear
heads start blasting away the virtues of FX over APS-C when they should be
out shooting pix instead.

Now...back to the Olympus OM-D EM-1....

Every now & then...yes a camera comes along and really grabs my attention.
Olympus has always made a great camera and seem to do more innovations
well ahead of other camera manufacturers. How about a camera that is, as far
as digital cameras go...seemingly indestructable? It's literally waterproof, drop
proof and freeze proof...not that the latter applies to us in LOS but hey...it's
always nice to have. And it's literally dust proof to boot also. It's only APS-C
format...and I initially thought it was FF...but what the hell I don't really care
since it has been compared very favourably to Leica's M model. It's small
form factor makes it ideal for letting the photographer using it to be in front
of the camera and not always behind it...if you know what I mean.

Enough words from me...here's three links about this fantastic little camera;

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/10/12/the-olympus-om-d-e-m1-full-review-the-most-versatile-mirrorless-camera-ever/

Probably the most trustworthy reviewer on the planet...much better than

Ken Rockwell anyday.

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sony_a7_v_olympus_om_d_e_m1_v_canon_eos_5d_mk_iii/

OK website for images & a small bit of words.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m1-full-review-22863

Another OK review page.

I have to attend a business gig in Hong Kong early next month & will head to
my favourite camera store there and have a good play with this litle wonder.

If it really performs as advertised I may just bring one home with me.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Huff is prone to a little gushing and very excitable for my taste. As for the most trustworthy reviewer I would suggest Ming Thein. Probably the best photographer on the planet at the moment. Go through his site and see what he does: all at age 27!

His review of the OM-D EM-1 is here:- http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/09/10/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-1/

reeray.smugmug.com

I have one in my hands right now. It improves the already wonderful E-M5 in many areas. The slight increase in width and the built-in grip means it sits perfectly in the hand, there are more controls and configuration options, it is built like a tank, the EVF is huge, detailed and bright. The IQ on the E-M5 is excellent, this takes it a stage further with the removal of the AA filter. I described the focusing response on the E-M5 as being "effectively instantaneous", the E-M1 is even more effectively instantaneous; quite amazing. Add one of the fantastic primes from Olympus or Panasonic and you have a hell of a camera.

Big Camera are offering 10% discount plus a free 4/3 adapter, a lens bag and an 8GB Sandisk Ultra card if you order during October..... Not sure how many are left for October delivery, four of them have been booked in Pattaya already! And you can pay by credit card with no surcharge.

It's not going to help much if you are not familiar with the E-M5; but I have written a little upgrade guide in respect of moving to the E-M1: http://www.microfourthirds.info/2013/10/moving-from-the-e-m5-to-the-e-m1/

Very helpful. Looking amongst all those menu's, is there one where you just set the ISO, WB, EV and press the shutter!

Makes you wonder who's taking the photographs these days - you or the little man at the Olympus factory

LOL

If you are in Aperture mode (for example), the front wheel changes the aperture and the rear wheel controls aperture compensation. Set up two function keys for ISO and WB and you are good to go. Perhaps another for exposure metering type and another to set the focus point back to the centre position. Oh, and how about one to initiate zoom in or focus peaking for manual lenses that have no connection with the camera.

Like the E-M5, it's a little bugger to set up exactly how you want it; but once done you should be able to do most of whatever you need to do without lifting your eye from the viewfinder.

It does look an interesting camera I must admit, but far too many set up options. I guess the argument would be " you don't have to use them" but knowing they were there would just be too tempting, and I could imagine spending days (read forever) pondering on the optimum setting and never being sure I'd got it right. Too many choices would confuse this old head but for others I guess this is what you're paying for, and if you find them useful, all well and good.

I imagine the next generation of cameras will have the facility to just strap it around your neck and it'll automatically take a shot that it considers interesting. The wi-fi SDHC card will automatically download to your computer, optimise, and immediately upload to multiple forums.

Untouched by human hand or brain!

It can't be far off - can it?

I agree with fimgirl about the number of set up options and I also

agree with FR concerning basic set up. That's why I'll have a play

with one in HK...just one reason actually...there are more running

around my head...like how does it "feel" in my size 12 hands for

example. I mean...with the winder on my M6 and the grip on my

M9 these cameras are almost comfortable...almost but not

perfect in "feel" unless the big 90mm is attached. If I do bring the

E-M1 home with me there will be a very low shutter count D7K

in as new condition, body only, posted somewhere in this Photo

section of TVF....kinda cheap too.

My reason for starting this thread was that I once had an Oly E-3

and loved it although it felt small in my mits. Now the missus has

it and loves it so much I get the "buy a new one" line if I wanna

have a play...as if I need another camera. And I reckon other folks

may also have an interest in it...so...here we are...let the flood

gates open!

I've been looking to upgrade my Lumix G2 for a while and as I have a range of Olympus/Lumix lenses I almost got the em-5. Then I saw the Lumix GX7. Nice!

Now there's the OMD em-1.

I reckon the em-1 is close to ideal, but .....

- the Olympus is a bit more expensive. As WIFI is one of the main benefits I'm after ..... as well as better dynamic range than the older sensor of the G2 - I was wondering if a deal on a Lumix G6 is a good option?

GX7 32000 THB body only

OMD 1 36000?

G6 22000

E-M1 is 49k although Big Camera are currently offering a 10% discount.

Does the E-M1 use the same battery grip and grip strap as the E-M5?

http://reeray.smugmug.com/

Not sure what you mean by grip strap. The E-M5 had an optional grip and battery pack that came together as a set. In this shot the E-M5, on the left, is fitted with the optional grip:

10356309555_e75606d77c_z.jpg

P1190432 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

The battery pack made it much larger and I personally never used it (but you could not buy the grip separately).

The standard E-M1 has a very chunky grip as part of the bpdy (see above) so no need for anything extra. I believe you can buy an add-on battery pack similar to the E-M5 but have not seen any photos yet and I personally would not want one.

I would like the E-M1 though; wish my order would arrive!

Searching back through my photos; these are the component of the add-ons for the EM-5:

8431155087_cbb8503e4d_z.jpg
P1160975 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

And this is the E-M5 fully loaded:

8431154467_6a83044f61_z.jpg
P1270041 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

The battery pack includes two additional function switches and a shutter button. The battery pack for the E-M1 seems to offer similar functionality:

http://reefphoto.com/shop/images/oly.V328140BU000.jpg

Grip strap = wrist strap. fixes to the side, hand slips through and safe and secure for quick fire street/grab shots.

So, are we saying the bolt on extras are compatible with both models?

No. There is no additional grip for the E-M1 because, as mentioned above, it doesn't need one. The battery packs are different because they have to conform to the different shapes of the cameras, and the E-M1 version looks like a more substantial build, as you should expect.

• 1 month later...

Just about to start a new topic on the OM-D EM-1 so good thing I looked first. smile.png

I'm now leaning heavily towards this one after reading many reviews and watching YouTube videos. As much as I like the Sony A7r, it is not realistic for me at a financial level. 1st, the price of the body only than having to get all replacement lenses including fast primes adds up to scary prices for me. Sony lenses are some of the most expensive and add FX lenses fast primes and you have both size and weight issues over micro 4/3 lenses. Oly and Panasonic make some of the best lenses out there and a very large selection.

The EM-1 allows me to keep my lenses plus get a camera that has significant improvements in IQ over my current Panasonic GH2. These include:

1. 5 axis in camera stabilizer with 5 stop effectiveness. One reviewer was shooting at 1 and 2 second handheld and he was astonished at the lack of blur in the images. Another one ran a test putting it on a monopod and started shooting at 1/3 second stepping up to a full 6 seconds and all came out sharp. This allows lenses without built in IS to work stably on the EM-1.

2. Hybrid phase based and contrast based auto focus for super fast focusing. Can use the Oly 4/3 lenses with adapter and have phase based auto-focusing for them.

3. New sensor with rather outstanding high ISO capability. I used dpreview Studio Shot comparison to see how it stands up to the a7r and of course there are differences but found them not highly significant and not worth the many thousands I would have to spend going from one system to another. The a7r is 36Mpixels and the EM-1 is 16Mpixels. Doing a little calculation the difference in actual photo diode density is only 25%.

4. Shutter speed now up to 1/8000 second. Bulb mode up to 30 minutes as opposed to the 128 seconds on the GH2.

5. 10fps burst mode.

6. Size very close to the GH2. Plus all metal with magnesium alloy frame. Dustproof, freeze proof (would say a non-issue here) and splash proof. So a video of someone taking his and putting it under a running water tap and drowning it while taking photos. biggrin.png

7. The EVF is now considered the best and largest there is with 2.36Mpixels.

8. Horizontal and vertical level gauge.

9. Wifi with photo transfer and remote control from phone/tablet.

10. Built in intervalometer 1-999 frames 1sec to 24 hour intervals.

11. Very large compliment of high quality micro 4/3 lenses available from Olympus or Panasonic. Plus 4/3's can be used with an adapter and exploit the phase detection autofocus and in camera IS.

Basically a whole heap of advances over my GH2. The weakness is the video whereas that is the GH2's strength. However, after nearly 2 years I've taken very few videos and my thoughts of being a videographer has faded. biggrin.png

Now Oly is coming out with the new PRO series (similar branding as the Canon L series) I will be adding the new 12-40mm f/2.8 constant aperture as I have no proper walk around lens. The 14-140 I have is too heavy and large for comfort when doing a walkabout.

I have the EM-1 and 14-40 lens queued up in the shopping cart and waiting to add a tripod but haven't quite pushed that order button yet. biggrin.png

Which tripod and head?

Not fully decided but leaning toward the Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT carbon fiber legs and the Benro HD3 3-Way Panhead. Definitely open for suggestions though.

That PoS 3 Legged Thing's near fallen apart now. Useless. So that's off the list.

Any Induro on there? Sunshine recommends.

Or Giottos, I found those to be good.

Archived