Buying a new camera, where and what do you advise?

junglechef

Just one small point to add.

Many years ago I was using several point and shoot cameras before I bit the bullet and went for a SLR. What concerned me at the time was the speed of bootup. If the camera is in your hand but switched off, it needs to be booted up and ready by the time it's viewfinder is at my eye. I ended up with a Konica Minolta Dynax 5D which did just that. It has far too many knobs ,buttons and menu choices but achieves everything I need it to do. Still got it but they went out of business quite some time ago.

I have been into cameras all my life.

http://stevekeeling.smugmug.com/

The above shots were taken with all sorts of gear - Olympus miu, Canon S110, S5, G12, EOS 20D, 40D, 60D, 7D and 5D3. For what you want any of the modern cameras are very capable of a good shot. The Canon 120 is cheap and excellent for close up and low light work and very portable. Then The Canon G series. Or the Olympus 4/3 if you want interchangeable lenses. I am a full SLR tragic but always carry a small point and shoot - at the moment an old S110 with a 1.2 lens). All the previous posters have merit.

My advice is keep it simple and go for a fast lens if possible. Don't worry about megapixels - they are a sales tool to some degree. I took award winning portraits with an old 4.2 MP Olympus some years ago and they were great pics because of the fantastic Olympus chunk of glass on the old E10. Panasonic, Canon, Pentax, Olympus and Nikon are all great (I am not so keen on the Nikon sub DSLR for some reason). Just had a go with a friends new Canon G16 - nice!

Sometimes the person behind the camera is more important than the camera itself. So whatever you get - read the manual.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you want to take photos for posting on the web or Facebook then a Nikon Coolpix 16MP will be great. Check out my photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/markeewan/ This camera will cost you around 2000 Baht at Central Festival Photo Hut

The only thing you will not be able to do is control your depth of field, but you will be able to practice your composition technique.

As 95% of photography is composition if you are just starting out then get a cheap point and shoot to find out what your photography preference is, then go for a Nikon or Canon DLSR or mirrorless camera to do more fancy things.

Some great photos on your link, great work! Can I ask the model of camera please? Maybe I am mis reading but I read this as 16 mega pixels but not a model number? My coolpix just gave up on me as I'd crossed the Mekong into Laosbah.gif

If you're mainly shooting for facebook uploads or general sharing, several phones on the market now take very good photos (after a bit of touch-up with Photoshop). I have a Samsung S4 Mini and since I bought it I seldom bother to lug my Cannon camera around anymore. The main pro is that you always have your phone with you. The main con being no optical zoom.

I'd say that any amateur or snapshot photographer still using Photoshop needs to think again. There are so many editors around these days that are far more useable than the unwieldy adobe CS family.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info, considering the cannon G15 (1/2 the price of G16 now) at 9000 bht. Been taking pics all my life and a cell phone just doesn't cut it esp in low light. Having to learn all the new tech such as mirror less to finally decide and would love to compare my final choices together (sony rx II) but haven't found anywhere yet to do that. Will try the main Siam TV. Appreciate all your responses and will keep reading them until I buy and post what I have.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info, considering the cannon G15 (1/2 the price of G16 now) at 9000 bht. Been taking pics all my life and a cell phone just doesn't cut it esp in low light. Having to learn all the new tech such as mirror less to finally decide and would love to compare my final choices together (sony rx II) but haven't found anywhere yet to do that. Will try the main Siam TV. Appreciate all your responses and will keep reading them until I buy and post what I have.

G15 is very big! - but it does have a viewfinder.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

May sounds like a weird question - but do you like 'bokeh'? You know that nice effect for portrait shots where the background is all fuzzy and the subject seems to really stand out. Or those cool blobs of bright light from out of focus lights in a night shot.

If you want that effect - you need a camera with a large-ish sensor - as this allows you to control depth of field (what's in focus and what is not). Any DSLR or the Lumix GX7, Olympus EPL's, Fuji x100, E-X2 and the Canon GX1 can do this trick as they have decent sized sensors. There's also the added benefit of less noise in low light shots. The Sony RX100 can also do a decent job of bokeh and low light - but not quite up to the others as it's sensor is a bit smaller.

If bokeh and low light are not your priority - and you only need small size photos for web use and viewing on screen - then as others have said why not go for a good camera phone? Nokia are the best but the new Sony Xperia Z2 due out next month is even waterproof for your trips out.

Or a waterproof compact such as the ones from Olympus or Lumix?

I very much prefer my SONY alpha-77VQ and its multitude of inexpensive lenses for my "bokeh" and other interesting settings as all SONY bodies on SLRs have anti-shake built-in, so no crazy over-priced Canon, etc lenses, . I shoot a lot at night to still photo local punk rock bands often at outside late night venues and when my pics and or video (I use the alpha-77 as a backup hi-def video cam sometimes) get posted online on Facebook, my websites, G+, etc... A lot of folks are overwhelmed with the images or video.

"Bokeh" is usually achieved by playing with depth of field or focus which is easily achieved on any camera with the appropriate manual overrides.

There are increasingly sophisticated bits of software to achieve this or similar effects.

Edited by wilcopops

Courtesy follow up. Bought the Song RX100 II as it got all the rave reviews for a point and shoot. As my girlfriend also wants a camera I'll buy myself another one, perhaps the Olympus OMD EM10 when it comes out, and I'll borrow the Sony for my more photogenic cycle rides as I can carry it in my bag, if I feel the need for something more. So for our upcoming vacation I think we have something that will suit all our needs. Purchased at Photobug on Chang Klang near Tanin Market as the owner was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and had no attitude nor sales pitch/push. He also gave me a good trade in for my old camera so it made the decision to buy the most expensive in it's category an easy choice. Thanks for all the feedback.

• Like 2

Courtesy follow up. Bought the Song RX100 II as it got all the rave reviews for a point and shoot. As my girlfriend also wants a camera I'll buy myself another one, perhaps the Olympus OMD EM10 when it comes out, and I'll borrow the Sony for my more photogenic cycle rides as I can carry it in my bag, if I feel the need for something more. So for our upcoming vacation I think we have something that will suit all our needs. Purchased at Photobug on Chang Klang near Tanin Market as the owner was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and had no attitude nor sales pitch/push. He also gave me a good trade in for my old camera so it made the decision to buy the most expensive in it's category an easy choice. Thanks for all the feedback.

Looks like a good choice - the Sony reads well. one thing I loved about my Lumix was the incredible wide angle lens fitted as standard. Does the Sony do that?

• Like 1

Sony 22,000 bht, not sure of how wide the angle is, guess I would need the specs on both the Lumix and Sony to compare are but if i recall correct, as I was inundated with all sorts of info during my shopping (much of it learning what it meant as I went), that the Sony less wide angle and more suited to landscape if I understood correctly. I did realize everything has a trade off, the Canon good for up to 2cm close but how much does all that matter with regular usage? I'm sure many of my options I would have been happy with but went with the Sony as it had a sensor 25% larger than other top ones, which I was lead to believe makes a big difference in overall picture quality.

Edited by junglechef

Sony 22,000 bht, not sure of how wide the angle is, guess I would need the specs on both the Lumix and Sony to compare are but if i recall correct, as I was inundated with all sorts of info during my shopping (much of it learning what it meant as I went), that the Sony less wide angle and more suited to landscape if I understood correctly. I did realize everything has a trade off, the Canon good for up to 2cm close but how much does all that matter with regular usage? I'm sure many of my options I would have been happy with but went with the Sony as it had a sensor 25% larger than other top ones, which I was lead to believe makes a big difference in overall picture quality.

Sensor size is FAR more important than pixel numbers.

wide angle is great for urban/street/architecture and macro.

I use autopano app for panoramas and landscapes.

I have a X3 telephoto but don't use it anymore as I use the GX1 for that sort of stuff.

As a pro photographer & retailer for over 50-years I am making an unorthodox recomendation. The 'top of the range' Fujica is rarely mentioned but is siutable for pro photography (plus video work too if you attach a light & extension microphone). The Chinese made one sells for around $350 but has an annoying undersized 2.5 mm micrphone socket and quality could be a concern?? However the Japanese made equivalent with a 3.5mm mike socket is an excellet product at around $650 and both have similar very versatile zoom lenses.

I was looking at the Canon s110, mainly as I know several with cameras from this series. Compact, plenty of features.

Now I see the Powershot SX510 for about the same price. Bulkier, seems like a better flash and lens system.

post-84769-0-67192900-1395103598_thumb.j