Name change after the wedding. Any benefits / drawbacks?

Shurup

The name change will be done on her house book and ID at the time you get married if she chooses to do it. The rest will not be that hard to change.

The complication is that her passport will have her maiden name unless she changes it when you are married. I can see this leading to complication for visas and etc..

There is no negative side to changing her name in my opinion. My wife had no choice when we got married and has had no problems.

Hi

How long after marriage does she have to change the maiden name on the passport, house book, and ID? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Incredible how easy it is to change everything in Thailand too. I think my wife had a new everything in just days or weeks all with her new last name. She has never had any issue with being accepted as Thai and never been a negative and this is only an assumption but assume makes traveling an visa's easier the longer she has had your last name ... not like they are going to put her at the top of the list for having a farang name but just more believable the marriage is real, I assume.

Many Thais change their first and/or last name legally (usually for better luck) but interesting they wouldn't let my adult step daughter change her name to mine when she told them the reason she wanted to. Had she just said she liked that last name it would not have been a problem. Not a big deal for her but she was down there doing the name change with her mom and figured she would do it too. My wife even changed her first name legally to a more western name ... not a common one but easy spelling and sounds western.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

• 5 months later...