Satish appeals to HM the King over Thai govt order to deport him

webfact

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could this be construed as disrepectful, attempting involve the royal family in this political mess?.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A foreigner simply making a plea to stop his deportation? The answer may well be no, but how is merely respectfully requesting disrespectful? I'm sure he's been advised with respect to the detail do's and don'ts. To us it may seem like "politics", but that's because we choose to make it so; to him it's unarguably a personal matter. IF the manner in which he composes, submits, and publicly discusses the request can be construed as an attempt to shame a favorable response, I can see where THAT might border on the inappropriate (in which case, I'm sure it wouldn't/won't get very far at all, he'll have made his situation worse, and the deportation will proceed posthaste, he possibly never to return to Thailand...). I expect he's probably crossed his T's and dotted his I's to the best of any Thai lawyer's ability...

Yep, i guess it would all be done with the upmost respect etc. Im sure his lawyer will be sh@t hot.....for his sake he better be!.

You say it's highly disrespectful to bother the Monarchy when he made a stupid error, so how do you then justify every other person that has made an appeal to the Monarchy for their "stupid errors" such as murder, rape, drugs, lese majeste etc etc? Are they not also then being highly disrespectful to the Monarchy in that case? Yes. he broke "the law" (technically), but it's hardly on the same scale as all the other offences that are brought to the attention of the Monarchy..

Let's not forget, this is not a tourist, or a visitor, this is a man who has lived in and contributed to this country for decades AND has (had) Permanent Residency. His entire family is living here (and I believe most have "citizenship"), does that not afford him some "rights"?

To me, PT/CMPO have MADE this a political issue by cracking down on an easy target, not because it's "right" or "fair", but just because "they can" and need to be seen to be making some kind of progress in dealing with the protestors.

Many of those appeals are for people who claim their innocence, or making a plea for leniency in cases involving life imprisonment or death-sentence. Or in cases where the foreigner simply did not understand the laws of this nation. Crimes also of poor starving people stealing to survive, or murdering in self-defense etc.

Satish knew what he was doing, he got clear warning not to do it. He did not do it to feed his family or defend his life. And he is not appealing to have his life-sentence cut shorter or to avoid execution. He is simply trying to avoid deportation, after he was told that doing something would result in his deportation and he said basically who cares I'm going to do it anyway.

wai2.gif

I think this is wrong - at least wrt the annual Birthday "early releases" - I believe one of the prerequisites is to actually accept your guilt and show remorse for it. Standing on stage professing your admiration for the monarch and wish for peace and an end to corruption hardly equates to sedition! As usual a foreigner is chosen as the attempted media focal point (slight of hand) and demonising - just as they were in the 2010 Bangkok burning events - ignoring all those Thais that were actively chanting sedition (on both sides).

I would imagine that his lawyers have made appeals to all avenues (as indeed they seem to have) - as is part of the legal framework here - and his right to do so. The media are not concerned with court appeal, even though they too have been lodged, but with this one as it is unusual for a foreigner to do so under their own steam (often this is done for foreigners serving long drug offences, but raised by Thai officials and/or Embassies). There should be no criticism of this, if it is not "the done thing" then remove it from the statutes - otherwise, live with it.

If he had openly been seditious in his speech, then throw the book at him. He was not - his "crime" was not adhering to the foreigners-not-allowed-to-be-part-of-the-protest "law" the Government brought in without a parliamentary bill to support it. If he was guilty of the illegal gathering nonsense that has been ignored for both sides even though active for almost 6 months now - then why was he singled out?

To the suggestion that in the UK he would have been deported - all I can say is that is complete and utter ballcocks; there were many protest in London over the last decade or so involving foreigners - especially anti-war protests over Iraq and Afghanistan - even protests about events in which the UK had no part, but just so the people could raise the issue and vent a bit. The only people sought and prosecuted were those that were caught being violent, inciting violence directly or promoting hate speech/crimes (placards with racist / hate / inciting - slogans, outlawed in their own right). Many of those are not deported either due to asylum status and other human rights concerns. Even terrorists, like Abu Hamza (Captain Hook himself) took a decade to deport him because of appeals!

• Like 1

Issue of racism comes up again. You know the really really odd thing is if satish became say chinese nobody would be called a bigot.

If he was Chinese, one wonders if there would ever have been a case. If he was unknown, and given his eloquence in Thai (of course given he has lived here most of his life - over half a century). most would assume he was Thai anyway; if he was recognised as being Chinese, then he would undoubtedly be a big0wig, and I doubt Thailand really wants to start p!ssing on the saviour's shoes!

So, "bigot" I doubt would come in to it - more perhaps that xenophobia and scapegoating beats all bar p!ssing off China.

Edited by wolf5370

Could this be construed as disrepectful, attempting involve the royal family in this political mess?.

Construed by whom? It has already been construed as disrespectful by a number of posters on this thread. If you mean construed as disrespectful by officials, I'm sure Lese Majesty charges will be filed if he is being disrespecful to the Royal Household.

Construed by whom? It has already been construed as disrespectful by a number of posters on this thread. If you mean construed as disrespectful by officials, I'm sure Lese Majesty charges will be filed if he is being disrespecful to the Royal Household.

I'm just wondering about Thai people in general thats all.

Of all the news stories, this one doesn't rate very high. In my experience with a wide range of Thai people, they generally don't follow the news any more than Americans do. I would bet that less than 3% are aware of this story and even fewer have given it much thought, if any. This is probably news in the Thai-Indian community and with political 'junkies' in the rest of the country. I'm only interested because Chalerm has gotten himself involved. There are some pretty low-life scum (in prisons) petitioning the King and people don't seem to think that to be disrespectful.

This will set a precedence and the royal household could be flooded with all types of appeals in the future. They are going to be extremely busy.

It also drags the household into politics, this appeal should not have been lodged. He should have just left and hoped the environment would improve enough to let him back in later.

• Like 2

Issue of racism comes up again. You know the really really odd thing is if satish became say chinese nobody would be called a bigot.

If he was Chinese, one wonders if there would ever have been a case. If he was unknown, and given his eloquence in Thai (of course given he has lived here most of his life - over half a century). most would assume he was Thai anyway; if he was recognised as being Chinese, then he would undoubtedly be a big0wig, and I doubt Thailand really wants to start p!ssing on the saviour's shoes!

So, "bigot" I doubt would come in to it - more perhaps that xenophobia and scapegoating beats all bar p!ssing off China.

Now now calm down. You sure satish has eloquence in thai? because according to the article his thai isn't really that good and has some type of weird accent assumingly spoken with some indian accent in it and his name obviously isn't thai all of this is to paint a picture of him being singled out. If he speaks thai eloquently then the article about him being singled out is wrong.

Anyway you need to differentiate thai chinese with chinese. I am now painting a picture of satish as a chinese with a chinese name something like wong, chen, lim and not a thai chinese with a thai name. This chinese person would be singled out cos he isn't a thai but the racism shtick wouldn't be used.

Original thais came from china so they have an east asian look but still they look rather distinct from chinese although some southern chinese do have a thai look.

This will set a precedence and the royal household could be flooded with all types of appeals in the future. They are going to be extremely busy.

It also drags the household into politics, this appeal should not have been lodged. He should have just left and hoped the environment would improve enough to let him back in later.

Nonsense. It's a completely logical course of action, so long as it was taken with due regard for procedure & protocol. 'Doesn't drag anybody into anything. He's just asking. 'Seems unlikely the request will be granted, but what the heck is so evil about merely making the request. I doubt many Thais even think it's a big deal.

I think this is wrong - at least wrt the annual Birthday "early releases" - I believe one of the prerequisites is to actually accept your guilt and show remorse for it. Standing on stage professing your admiration for the monarch and wish for peace and an end to corruption hardly equates to sedition! As usual a foreigner is chosen as the attempted media focal point (slight of hand) and demonising - just as they were in the 2010 Bangkok burning events - ignoring all those Thais that were actively chanting sedition (on both sides).

I would imagine that his lawyers have made appeals to all avenues (as indeed they seem to have) - as is part of the legal framework here - and his right to do so. The media are not concerned with court appeal, even though they too have been lodged, but with this one as it is unusual for a foreigner to do so under their own steam (often this is done for foreigners serving long drug offences, but raised by Thai officials and/or Embassies). There should be no criticism of this, if it is not "the done thing" then remove it from the statutes - otherwise, live with it.

If he had openly been seditious in his speech, then throw the book at him. He was not - his "crime" was not adhering to the foreigners-not-allowed-to-be-part-of-the-protest "law" the Government brought in without a parliamentary bill to support it. If he was guilty of the illegal gathering nonsense that has been ignored for both sides even though active for almost 6 months now - then why was he singled out?

To the suggestion that in the UK he would have been deported - all I can say is that is complete and utter ballcocks; there were many protest in London over the last decade or so involving foreigners - especially anti-war protests over Iraq and Afghanistan - even protests about events in which the UK had no part, but just so the people could raise the issue and vent a bit. The only people sought and prosecuted were those that were caught being violent, inciting violence directly or promoting hate speech/crimes (placards with racist / hate / inciting - slogans, outlawed in their own right). Many of those are not deported either due to asylum status and other human rights concerns. Even terrorists, like Abu Hamza (Captain Hook himself) took a decade to deport him because of appeals!

Thankyou for this reply to my post.

Re; the nature of his protest. I myself attended the gigantic Anti-Iraq-Invasion protest against the thoroughly slimey war-criminal and outright betrayer of nation, Tony Blair.

When this Indian gentleman was going onstage he was endorsing the Suthep-led overthrow movement. At the time, this movement had already seen student-leaders openly calling for the kidnap of the PM and her family. This movement had called for the toppling of the electoral system. This movement had members saying that [paraphrased] "poor farmers are too stupid to know who to vote for." This movement was blocking voting booths, intimidating and beating-up voters.

You will certainly see, that this is not the same type of protest as a protest against the proposed invasion of a sovereign nation which has committed no action against your own nation. Suthep's protest movement is more properly called an overthrow movement, or a revolutionary movement, as he wanted to replace the democratic voting system with an unelected Chairmanship type of deal.

You will also see that a foreigner taking part in a movement that seeks to topple the electoral system of this nation, and fully supports a movement that condones the kidnap of state members and their families, beats up voters and blocks the voting process, and claims that many poor agrarian citizens are too stupid to be allowed the vote, and seeks a new kind of unelected ruler - this foreigner is WAY outside of his rights as a visitor - even a long term visitor etc. His actions have to be viewed as a threat not only to PTP, but to the political system itself, and the stability and democratic foundations of the nation itself. It is not comparable to anti-war protests or suffragettes or any other stuff we could toss in there for lols. The group he sided with were acting directly in ways that are potentially destabilising to the security and equilibrium of the nation and that is not acceptable at all.

When this Indian gentleman was going onstage he was endorsing the Suthep-led overthrow movement.He did not endorse Suthep; he called for the end of the corrupt Thaksin regime which you should be embarrassed to represent. At the time, this movement had already seen student-leaders Not Mr. Satish?openly calling for the kidnap of the PM and her family. This movement Not Mr. Satish? had called for the toppling of the electoral system. This movement Not Mr. Satish? had members saying that [paraphrased] "poor farmers are too stupid to know who to vote for." This movement was blocking voting booths, intimidating and beating-up voters. Whatever the 'overthrow movement' did or didn't do, you can't lay all that on Mr. Satish.

You will certainly see, that this is not the same type of protest as a protest against the proposed invasion of a sovereign nation which has committed no action against your own nation. Both protests are the same in the fact that both are legal and peaceful; obviously the cause and goals are different. Suthep's protest movement is more properly called an overthrow movement, or a revolutionary movement, as he wanted to replace the democratic voting system with an unelected Chairmanship type of deal. I don't agree with Suthep's ideas but he is not calling for a different type of government. What he is calling for is a temporary, interim jurisdictional body to make rules that create an environment for less corrupt elections and less corrupt future governments. Not that I agree with Suthep but you are doing your best to mischaracterize what he has stated he wants.

You will also see that a foreigner Mr. Satish has lived in the Kingdom for 65 of his 70 years and speaks the Thai language perfectly. I imagine many in the audience were unaware of his non-citizenship. taking part in a movement that seeks to topple the electoral system of this nation, No one is trying to topple the electoral system (is it really necessary to lie?) and Mr. Satish? fully supports a movement that condones the kidnap of state members and their families, Mr. Satish? beats up voters and Mr. Satish? blocks the voting process, and Mr. Satish? claims that many poor agrarian citizens are too stupid to be allowed the vote, and Mr. Satish? seeks a new kind of unelected ruler - this foreigner Permanent Resident is WAY outside of his rights as a visitor Being a visitor connotes one who comes with the intention of leaving - even a long term visitor Being a visitor connotes one who comes with the intention of leaving etc. His actions have to be viewed as a threat A 70 year old businessman? really? not only to PTP, A 70 year old businessman? really? but to the political system itself, A 70 year old businessman? really? and the stability and democratic foundations of the nation itself. A 70 year old businessman? really? It is not comparable to anti-war protests or suffragettes or any other stuff we could toss in there for lols. The group he sided with were acting directly in ways that are potentially destabilising to the security and equilibrium of the nation What they are, really is destabilizing to Thaksin's stranglehold on Thailand and the public treasury and that is not acceptable at all. to us Thaksin Lakeys.

So, Yunla, hyperbole much?

Edited by rametindallas

When this Indian gentleman was going onstage he was endorsing the Suthep-led overthrow movement.He did not endorse Suthep; he called for the end of the corrupt Thaksin regime which you should be embarrassed to represent. At the time, this movement had already seen student-leaders Not Mr. Satish?openly calling for the kidnap of the PM and her family. This movement Not Mr. Satish? had called for the toppling of the electoral system. This movement Not Mr. Satish? had members saying that [paraphrased] "poor farmers are too stupid to know who to vote for." This movement was blocking voting booths, intimidating and beating-up voters. Whatever the 'overthrow movement' did or didn't do, you can't lay all that on Mr. Satish.

You will certainly see, that this is not the same type of protest as a protest against the proposed invasion of a sovereign nation which has committed no action against your own nation. Both protests are the same in the fact that both are legal and peaceful; obviously the cause and goals are different. Suthep's protest movement is more properly called an overthrow movement, or a revolutionary movement, as he wanted to replace the democratic voting system with an unelected Chairmanship type of deal. I don't agree with Suthep's ideas but he is not calling for a different type of government. What he is calling for is a temporary, interim jurisdictional body to make rules that create an environment for less corrupt elections and less corrupt future governments. Not that I agree with Suthep but you are doing your best to mischaracterize what he has stated he wants.

You will also see that a foreigner Mr. Satish has lived in the Kingdom for 65 of his 70 years and speaks the Thai language perfectly. I imagine many in the audience were unaware of his non-citizenship. taking part in a movement that seeks to topple the electoral system of this nation, No one is trying to topple the electoral system (is it really necessary to lie?) and Mr. Satish? fully supports a movement that condones the kidnap of state members and their families, Mr. Satish? beats up voters and Mr. Satish? blocks the voting process, and Mr. Satish? claims that many poor agrarian citizens are too stupid to be allowed the vote, and Mr. Satish? seeks a new kind of unelected ruler - this foreigner Permanent Resident is WAY outside of his rights as a visitor Being a visitor connotes one who comes with the intention of leaving - even a long term visitor Being a visitor connotes one who comes with the intention of leaving etc. His actions have to be viewed as a threat A 70 year old businessman? really? not only to PTP, A 70 year old businessman? really? but to the political system itself, A 70 year old businessman? really? and the stability and democratic foundations of the nation itself. A 70 year old businessman? really? It is not comparable to anti-war protests or suffragettes or any other stuff we could toss in there for lols. The group he sided with were acting directly in ways that are potentially destabilising to the security and equilibrium of the nation What they are, really is destabilizing to Thaksin's stranglehold on Thailand and the public treasury and that is not acceptable at all. to us Thaksin Lakeys.

Yes, your post is based on your key belief that once Suthep's chosen people assume control of the nation via an unelected Assembly, having already blocked voters (and attacked them), and publicly stated they do not trust poor northern people to know who to vote for etc., you are making an assumption that Suthep's Assembly will in the future relinquish power, and allow voting again. I do not share your faith. More so, Suthep has given "vagueness" a whole new dimension in his sketchy reform plans. So far it is very vague plans, and vague assurances that at some vague point in the future this group will willingly relinquish the Assembly power that he fought so hard for and people died for.

So I dispute this idea entirely, and so I see replacing the election system with this assembly system as a highly risky one, and also I see it as an action against the nation itself, and that when foreigners are ordered to not get involved in this kind of serious overthrow process should not get involved. That is my personal view, and was echoed by the Govt this year.

Yes, your post is based on your key belief that once Suthep's chosen people assume control of the nation via an unelected Assembly, having already blocked voters (and attacked them), and publicly stated they do not trust poor northern people to know who to vote for etc., you are making an assumption that Suthep's Assembly will in the future relinquish power, and allow voting again. I do not share your faith. More so, Suthep has given "vagueness" a whole new dimension in his sketchy reform plans. So far it is very vague plans, and vague assurances that at some vague point in the future this group will willingly relinquish the Assembly power that he fought so hard for and people died for.

So I dispute this idea entirely, and so I see replacing the election system with this assembly system as a highly risky one, and also I see it as an action against the nation itself, and that when foreigners are ordered to not get involved in this kind of serious overthrow process should not get involved. That is my personal view, and was echoed by the Govt this year.

I'd love to see you quote me to substantiate your claim that I do/have ever supported Suthep's aims. I don't/can't know if he will be true to his word and you don't/can't know that he won't. I don't believe in psychics and certainly don't believe your predictions. I, for one, have very grave doubts that the educated protesters in Bangkok will allow one dictatorship (Thaksin's) to be replaced by a Suthep dictatorship. Most of those protesting the Thaksin puppet regime have zero love for Suthep, but he is all they have to lead the protest which is, so-far, doing the work needed to throw a monkey wrench in PT party's plan to amnesty Thaksin and the current government's corrupt practices and deeds. As for 'foreigners', if I had lived, since age five, for 65 years in a country, I would hardly consider myself a foreigner. If Mr. Satich forgot his place, Chalerm has reminded him that he will never be Thai and that his rights, no matter how long he has lived here or how much he has contributed to Thailand, are very limited. If the courts, and NOT Chalerm, decide he must leave, I'm fine with that. It's the process that stinks and this government, as all Thaksin and Thaksin puppet regimes, has problems following proper process. Just because they got more votes than the opposition two and a half years ago does not give them license to short circuit proper process or give them carte blanch to do as they will with the public treasury. This puppet government will soon find there are limitations to their corrupt ways as expressed by the proper process of trials for Ms Yingluck and all the Thaksin Lackeys in the caretaker government.

Edited by rametindallas

Can satish speak india language?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am sure he speaks one of the 22 languages scheduled (by the 8 the schedule of the Indian Constitution) and also English is used widely.

• Like 1

Indeed, if it was deemed disrespectful, word would have been given not to bother turning up...

Of all the news stories, this one doesn't rate very high. In my experience with a wide range of Thai people, they generally don't follow the news any more than Americans do. I would bet that less than 3% are aware of this story and even fewer have given it much thought, if any. This is probably news in the Thai-Indian community and with political 'junkies' in the rest of the country. I'm only interested because Chalerm has gotten himself involved. There are some pretty low-life scum (in prisons) petitioning the King and people don't seem to think that to be disrespectful.

Yep, could be right there. I haven't seen much of it in the news, just where they submitted the petition, yesterday or the day before.

Those in prison i guess are the chancers hoping for a break on his birthday.

IMHO, Indian belongs in India.

Let's just hope the thai government/immigration don't pick up on that sentiment as it could end up as:

British belong in Britain

Americans belong in America

Etc

Edited by Soutpeel