Traffic police

namdocmai

Do you guys also have problems with understanding the handsigns of the traffic police/security guards/road workers and anybody else that wants me to stop?

I never understand their signals, some use a flag, some do it by hand but in Europe an open hand shown means you have to stop. Here they all just do something and then i should understand what they want me to do. I bet they never got any instructions how to arrange traffic, just do something.

Also i don't understand who is allowed to stop me and who not. If i pass the Toyota-dealer at the highway the security from Toyota stops all traffic when a customer comes out of their driveway, is he allowed to do that?

Also i don't understand who is real police and who is not, how can we know if it is a real Thai policeman or just some Somchai that bought a police-uniform on the market?

Do you stop for all the people that think they are allowed to stop traffic?

There is an RTP traffic policesc hands signals guide available. I must track it down and yes there is some disparity in the signals. The one road rule that I take in with extra precaution is the give way on roundabouts. If you re on the roundabout, you give way to entering traffic. Complete opposite to every other country I've driven in.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well the real Police wears brown uniforms and have guns, but the ones who arrange traffic can wear anything.

I saw a real Trafficpoliceman on tv yesterday and he also weared a yellow fluorescent vest and a white helmet with the visor closed. My wife said he is a real one.

Those Police-jackets/sunglasses/belts can be bought in the MBK so i guess anybody is allowed to wear them? Also anybody is allowed to stop traffic on big busy roads if he thinks it is necessary?

It is very confusing to me and at night i won't stop for anybody who tries to stop me. I want to be sure it is Police but don't know how to recognise them.

too many uniforms is the problem -even amonst the police itself there must be a dozen differnt uniforms and some wear dark boilersuits

with police on the back in white

some wear almost black uniforms ,some wear dark brown ,some light brown with a white hat

even the real cops dont always carry their guns ,ive seen them before directing traffic with an empty holster :o

+ every security guard who thinks hes a police because he also wears a uninform adds to the general chaos

The one road rule that I take in with extra precaution is the give way on roundabouts. If you re on the roundabout, you give way to entering traffic. Complete opposite to every other country I've driven in.

Incorrect. The road rules are the same as back home in this regard, although a lot of Thai's do it the wrong way out of ignorance or trying to be polite. There is even a "yield" sign at many roundabouts if you look carefully. If you yield to the traffic entering the roundabout, the roundabout gets gridlocked. I see it happen quite often at the smaller but busy roundabouts here.

Title 6: Driving through Junctions or Circles

Section 73 (500 - 1000B)

If there's no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

Well you might have found the legislation (link?) to the difference but please come up to chiang rai and enforce your legal rights at a roundabout and see what hapoens.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On the roundabout issue NomadJoe is dead right. Basically give way to the right. However its no consolation when some halfwit plows into you on a roundabout. It happened to me last year, the other bloke was in the wrong as the police stated, but it still took 4 weeks to get my car fixed.

The one road rule that I take in with extra precaution is the give way on roundabouts. If you re on the roundabout, you give way to entering traffic. Complete opposite to every other country I've driven in.

Incorrect. The road rules are the same as back home in this regard, although a lot of Thai's do it the wrong way out of ignorance or trying to be polite. There is even a "yield" sign at many roundabouts if you look carefully. If you yield to the traffic entering the roundabout, the roundabout gets gridlocked. I see it happen quite often at the smaller but busy roundabouts here.

Title 6: Driving through Junctions or Circles

Section 73 (500 - 1000B)

If there's no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

So you ride according to these rules here?

Just go with the flow man and dont get tired.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Happened twice to me yesterday on the same strip. Two lanes were coned off into the left, Captain Twinkie was giving some direction to random riders, Somchai was pretending to check extorting money from the locals, I tucked in behind a car, then just as I saw the whites of Twinkies eyes, I pulled out and wheelied past him giving him my special one finger salute.

Was that the kind of hand signals you were refering to in the OP ?

• Like 1

Check out Lopburi for ridiculous roundabouts. 3 huge and I mean huge roundabouts in a row on the main road through town. Probably some of the most dangerous riding to be had. The Dolphin roundabout in Pattaya is a breeze in comparison.

Happened twice to me yesterday on the same strip. Two lanes were coned off into the left, Captain Twinkie was giving some direction to random riders, Somchai was pretending to check extorting money from the locals, I tucked in behind a car, then just as I saw the whites of Twinkies eyes, I pulled out and wheelied past him giving him my special one finger salute.

If they see you giving a finger they follow you to the place you stop for a shit!

Been there done that stupidity.

So dont recommend anyone such action plus dont believe this post too.

Edited by ll2

Just ignore them. I used to stop but nowadays I'm not prepared to subsidise their wages.

good point just play dumb and go by them and if you spot them early enough move to the far lane and tuck behind a vehicle... I used to stop too...

If they see you giving a finger they follow you to the place you stop for a shit!

Lets face it, the only thing these guys care about is extracting money from the next stupid person who stops. Do you really think they remember that I just flipped them the bird, No, they are looking ahead to the next pay out. They neither remember or even care .. and what exactly are they going to chase me with, 2 up on their Honda Wave, I mean down here they have to be to told to change the red light.

You dont beleive me, thats up to you ..

I always stop when the police wants me to, happened many times on the same spots so now i know where they like to collect their teamoney and what time of the day (only in the morning). I just avoid those roads now or take the most right-handed lane.

When they stop me i only speak fast crappy english and never answer their questions the first time he asks. I just act like i don't understand their english. I get my cellphone in my hand and then after checking my papers they let me go. Most of the time they allready stopped another victim by then without a helmet or something so that's easy money for them.

Yesterday i had a pickuptruck behind me on the highway and he used flashing blue and red led-lights who were mounted in his grill. I let him pass but then found out he was just a pickup-truck, no police or rescue or whatever.

Later a motorbike was trying to pass me from behind and i heard a siren suddenly, that was him horning to me that he wanted to pass me on the left side.

In Europe ONLY the police is allowed to carry blue lights/sirens on a vehicle so it is very clear.

Well Thailand would be so much safer if they got a professional Policeforce with simple rules.

Lets face it, the only thing these guys care about is extracting money from the next stupid person who stops. Do you really think they remember that I just flipped them the bird, No, they are looking ahead to the next pay out. They neither remember or even care .. and what exactly are they going to chase me with, 2 up on their Honda Wave, I mean down here they have to be to told to change the red light.

...after this post,I believe you...but I wouldn't do it,they have guns,you know..tongue.pnglaugh.png

Well, you continiue this way. Dont stop. But one day, they will beat your ass hard once you give this finger to the wrong person or they might be looking for a thief, murderer or terrorist and if you run, they shoot your ass!

Just plain stupid. For a mere 50 - 100 thb tea money - and mostly i dont pay even i stop, you risk your life.