Anyone using Apple TV in chiang mai?

mr chow

forget TRUE! ,I'll be returning in June and I'm thinking of bringing my Apple TV. With my netflix it's $8 a month plus the cost of Basic Cable. Is anyone doing it now? Feedback?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I use Apple TV in chiang mai. I watch hockey, you tube etc. I don't think Netflix is available in thailand. I may be wrong

I think you can get netflex but have to set up a VPN.......a friend is working on this now. Will update.

I use Apple TV in chiang mai. I watch hockey, you tube etc. I don't think Netflix is available in thailand. I may be wrong

I think you can get netflex but have to set up a VPN.......a friend is working on this now. Will update.

Yep - but I think you have to set up the VPN on your modem / router as I don't believe the Apple TV itself has an option to allow you to set up VPN

You can setup the Apple TV to use the apple account you have set up in your home country so that you can use your Home Counties iTunes Store for rentals and purchases rather than the Thai iTunes Store (which I believe is a bit sparce)

Here is some more info:

I am not sure about Netflix without using a VPN. I tried the free 7 day trial (without VPN 2 years ago) and it didn't work.

But many many of the other applications on the apple TV do work.

I use the Hola unblocker to stream free TV and movies to the apple TV from my mac laptop.

You don't need to use a cable if you are using an IPAD, iphone or mac. You can select send to apple TV and it will do it wirelessly.

I use it as a second monitor for my mac laptop works great!

The quality of youtube videos is incredible when you stream them from ipad to apple TV. You can also play games, but not all applications support native mirroring on apple TV.

Your TV MUST have an hdmi connector so that you can plugin the apple tv to it.

Keep in mind that your wireless should be high speed for it to be very smooth. Ideally, you should plug the apple tv using the network cable to the back of the wireless router.

I have connected the 7.1 Digital output from the apple TV to a sound system. So you can play all the music or videos from an itunes library with great sound quality!

I have a dedicated itunes computer (actually just a virtual machine) that I store all my movies and music, which I access from my apple TV.

The only drawback to the apple TV is that it only plays the video and audio formats supported by Itunes.

Thank you very much for all the info. My name is mike . Either way I owe ya a dinner .Again, thanks

Edited by onthedarkside
self promotion of own business removed

Apple TV will play any format if you use Plex media player instead of iTunes. It takes a bit of setting up though. I use this to watch on my iPad, the app was $4 or so.

Latest Apple TV. Googling it will take you to the Apple TV sub forum on the plex forum. Instructions are Ina sticky at the top.

• Like 1

I just checked with Netflix and all I got was it is unavailable in your country.

Not been even reasonably close to being a techy maybe some of the other posters have the answer. I just know that on my true home page it has Netflix and that is what I got when I hit on it.

How do you find the quality of the picture on your Apple?

Netflix in Thailand is quite easy to get through either your computer, tablet, smart TV or Apple TV via what is called a Smart DNS. It work's similar to a VPN but you don't lose much of your bandwidth. You can subscribe to a couple of sites for a smart DNS on a monthly/yearly subscription. I think it's around 5 GBP a month and will work on all your devices. I use overplay.net for the smart DNS but there other websites you can use.

Once you have subscribed just input the new smart DNS into your internet settings into all your devices and then you can access netflix, hulu, bbc iplayer, itv etc....

For Apple TV you need to setup either a US or UK iTunes account.

For smart Samsung TV users input the smart DNS into the TV and then change your TV's region to which ever country you would like the Apps for. UK will give you netflix, bbc iplayer, itv, ch4 and ch5. Just follow this link on how to change the tv's region https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1244175-how-to-change-region-on-a-samsung-smart-tv

Or for free you can use the Hola Unblocker software which allows you to watch all the above on your PC.