Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

Looks like a nice photo of wooden pallets being used INSIDE a cargo hangar NOT inside an aircraft. Just think about this, wooden pallets are usually constructed of poor quality timber and as such regularly splinter and drop nails everywhere. As has been pointed out they are most definitely combustible and their dimensions are not compatible with the purpose built aluminium cargo bins in regular use. No operator, and that includes UPS, would use wooden pallets INSIDE an aircraft LEGALLY. I'm sure there are operators breaking the rules somewhere in this world but they do so at their peril should the FAA or IATA investigate an incident. Now my information has been gathered over many, many years in the aviation industry and flying thousands of hours in cargo aircraft. I think I have said enough on this subject.

I have personally consigned air freight shipments from Houston to among other places, Lima, São Luís, Hull-Humberside, Jebel Ali, Prudhoe Bay, Mumbai, Douala and Karratha. Anything that my freight forwarders pre-assembled on a wooden pallet before sending to IAH was received on the same wooden pallet at the destination. Among freight forwarders I used were Panalpina, Pentagon and BAX Global and the airlines were variously KLM, Air France, FedEx, Qantas, BA, Air Alaska and Continental (now United) plus several others. The pre-palletised (wooden) consignments are carefully dimensioned by the freight forwarder to fit inside the metal skid pallets that contain bulk cargo for loading on the aircraft. Similar to this.

netted-freight-pallet.jpg

I do agree that there's way too much significance being placed on these pallets being spotted during the search for MH370 as there are many, many more wooden pallets used in the maritime industry than in the air freight industry.

Not relating to your comments but an additional point that has been mentioned frequently in this thread, some of my shipments also included Lithium batteries which were always packaged per DOT regulations (maximum size, type and construction of container and type of filler material) and they either went on cargo-only aircraft or as break-bulk on commercial (passenger carrying) aircraft. If packaged properly, these can be consigned on passenger aircraft if the airline permits. However, even if the airline does permit, the Captain has the final authority NOT to permit them on his charge as he reviews passenger AND cargo manifests before anything gets onboard or in some circumstances, gets it offloaded if it came onboard as part of a through-freight consignment.

In every illegally dumped bit of rubbish in the world there is an old tyre, a fridge and guest what, a broken shipping pallet.

There are probably as many broken pallets at sea as blue whales. These are hardly rare bits of flotsam and jetsam.

I think you have grossly underestimated the situation. I think there will be far MORE broken pallets (by an order of many magnitudes), at sea than blue whales ;) Sad but true.

Sorry my mistake. Mixed d metaphor. There are yes, thousands upon thousands of broken pallets in the oceans.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CNN just had a segment in a 777 flight simulator (CNN has had many since this all began). The reporter and the pilot ran through the 90 degree turn and the change in elevation - one to a low altitude from a cruise altitude. The points made were that the programming in the flight simulator was set to make the 90 turn done over an hour so as to not be noticeable to passengers (no real feeling of 'banking' or of centrifugal effect)... Same with the 'dive' -- it was really not a dive -- but a gradual slow descent again taking about an hour. This obviously conflicts with any theory that an incident (fire, explosion) set the autopilot sequence through some fantastical coincidence of the accident. And it does away with the pilot or co-pilot setting such a methodical sequence done in a panic while battling some kind of terrible event. It is obvious by the report - very factual - that the methodical 90 degree turn and the slow well planned changes in altitude were done deliberately with aforethought. Batteries blowing up and other catastrophes ... didn't perform the elaborate autopilot programming - neither did pilots in distress.

Chinese search plane finds objects

That was quick. Maybe they dumped the wreckage out the back of those huge IL76's.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/03/24/15/17/chinese-find-debris-in-plane-search

Does seem a bit off. Why in the bleep would China use a massive cargo plane

for search purposes ? Maybe long range, but still seems odd. Cannot see the US

Navy using a C17 Globe master for search and rescue... :-) Did those IL 76

deliver helicopters when they landed in Australia ?

At this point, if I was a betting man, I'd stick with my hunch that the plane is on the ground in a terrorist friendly area and that the authorities know it. When they show the various satellite photos even I can tell it isn't a plane. I think that's all misdirection.

And I think you know a lot less about aircraft debris than trained analysts across several countries, including the US. Yes - it might be containers, or some other flotsam, but dont you think the people involved might have something beyond the naked eye to analyse those images and calculate the probability of the debris being something from an aircraft ? The US found Bin Laden by focussing on satellite imagery of an unusually tall man walking outside a house in Pakistan - we aren't talking Blinky Bill with a magnifying glass.

You've said a lot of sensible things on this thread. Sadly "found Bin Laden by focussing on satellite imagery" belongs right back in "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith. Having worked for nearly a decade selling mapping technology (specifically raster imagery...i.e. pictures (i.e. remote sensing and aerial photography)) to the British military I can tell you that, though feasible to spot a person, they did not get their ID from satellite imagery. They had a tip-off and then worked with a doctor to put together a fake vaccination programme. During this programme the doctor gained access to the compound (based off the tip-off from the Gitmo detainee) where they suspected Bin Laden to be hiding and used the "screening" excuse to gain DNA information to compare to Bin Laden's late sister (died New York, 2009). There is some uncertainty as to whether they gained the DNA or not (likely secret docs).

However the evidence gathered on the ground was what confirmed Bin Laden's presence at the compound. The US still took a risk on the information not being correct...and then made quite a few mistakes on the mission (losing a helicopter is 1).

Crossing into another country without permission and attacking a compound is a politically risky maneuver and was based off as much evidence as possible. Certainly a grainy 20cm x 20cm pixel (probably about all they have right now as commercially data is only 50cm (full colour), that was the resolution of aerial photography 10 years ago, google Earth is mostly 20cm x 20cm aerial) black and white sat image is not what they based that decision off. When you see higher resolution satellite imagery it is B&W imagery which has been "coloured" by adding geographic models and then taking colours from available aerial photography (a routine created by a friend of mine for his company in Stuttgart that gained so much attention he now works for JPL).

Interestingly that brings me onto all this satellite data that they are having problems working with. Above is the answer as to why, sorry I haven't given it earlier.

I accept that this my knowledge is 10 years old but I am happy to confirm all this by asking my friends who are still supplying key government agencies across the world with their data (including the military) and working with JPL on the Mars projects currently.

The best imagery I EVER saw was aerial photography of London shot at 400m from a helicopter. Curiously enough the governments couldn't afford it and it all ended up in a VERY expensive coffee table book. They achieved (at best, flying a helicopter is not THAT exact) 100 microns (.1mm) though most of the imagery was re-sampled to 1mm due to camera stability and making sure the final images were of an even standard.

That was quick. Maybe they dumped the wreckage out the back of those huge IL76's.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/03/24/15/17/chinese-find-debris-in-plane-search

Because it's specially converted for SAR. Who knows what electronics it's gone it it? (Probably copied from the US Spy plane they dismantled a couple of years ago biggrin.png )

Well...another day...more mis-disinformation, more waiting,

more conspiracy theories...more BS all over the place...

I feel sorry for the SAR crews but they have a job to do

& they're doing their best at it. However....

post-146250-0-81743900-1395643387_thumb.

Hey! You're looking in the wrong place...it's over there...

I think...

CNN just had a segment in a 777 flight simulator (CNN has had many since this all began). The reporter and the pilot ran through the 90 degree turn and the change in elevation - one to a low altitude from a cruise altitude. The points made were that the programming in the flight simulator was set to make the 90 turn done over an hour so as to not be noticeable to passengers (no real feeling of 'banking' or of centrifugal effect)... Same with the 'dive' -- it was really not a dive -- but a gradual slow descent again taking about an hour. This obviously conflicts with any theory that an incident (fire, explosion) set the autopilot sequence through some fantastical coincidence of the accident. And it does away with the pilot or co-pilot setting such a methodical sequence done in a panic while battling some kind of terrible event. It is obvious by the report - very factual - that the methodical 90 degree turn and the slow well planned changes in altitude were done deliberately with aforethought. Batteries blowing up and other catastrophes ... didn't perform the elaborate autopilot programming - neither did pilots in distress.

Here CNN is saying turn took two minutes and pretty much contradicts everything you say they said.

----------

Military radar tracking shows that the aircraft changed altitude after making a sharp turn over the South China Sea as it headed toward the Strait of Malacca, a source close to the investigation into the missing flight told CNN. The plane flew as low as 12,000 feet at some point before it disappeared from radar, according to the source.

The sharp turn seemed to be intentional, the source said, because executing it would have taken the Boeing 777 two minutes -- a time period during which the pilot or co-pilot could have sent an emergency signal if there had been a fire or other emergency onboard.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/23/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/

Edited by F430murci

Correction to above - the time of turn was approximately 2 minutes (which is a slow turn). The 1:40 minutes time was for decent to 12,000 feet (also slow).

I really hope you guys are just drunk. Really? Dumped wreckage in the water. No frickin way.

Definitely odd to say the least. I was wondering if Australian customs officials would have the right to board and check the aircraft's cargo out on arrival. Strictly for quarantine matters of course. Or would they be subject to some sort of mutually agreed upon immunity on diplomatic grounds ?

Definitely odd to say the least. I was wondering if Australian customs officials would have the right to board and check the aircraft's cargo out on arrival. Strictly for quarantine matters of course. Or would they be subject to some sort of mutually agreed upon immunity on diplomatic grounds ?

This article seems particularly appropriate, but your new theory beats the comical stuff they came up with.

----------

Flight 370: Facts few, imaginations run wild

. . .

It was a rogue pilot. Or was it a hero pilot? Terrorists took over the plane. Or were they air pirates? Space aliens? Maybe the crew flew the plane into Pakistan. Or a black hole? Somebody shot it down. Aha! We can't see the plane because it's invisible! No, it's a sign from God that the Rapture is coming! The Illuminati are behind this! And last but not, least here's that old Internet standby so popular among conservative conspiracy theorists: It's Obama's fault.

Pop-culture aficionados have weighed in, too, with comparisons to the television series "Lost" and "Fantasy Island." Singer Courtney Love went to her Facebook fan page and posted a helpful map drawn on a satellite photo; she said it showed the wreckage in the waters near the island of Palau Perak.

And YouTube commenters suggested that Pitbull and Shakira might have foreseen the trouble, pointing to their 2012 song "Get it Started." They ponder this lyric: "Now it's off to Malaysia," Pitbull sings, "Two passports, three cities, two countries, one day."

Edited by F430murci

I really hope you guys are just drunk. Really? Dumped wreckage in the water. No frickin way.

I was half pulling da pi$$ But the way this thing has been going, not much else would surprise now.

For all we know this international regatta of military satellites, aircraft and sea vessels may well be fighting machines from another planet out there in the middle of the Southern Indian ocean. Something similar to the Hollywood blockbuster Battleship.

coffee1.gif

Not really sure why they are chasing after miscellaneous debris floating around the ocean from blurry

satellite images. I think now we are on blurry object number 3 ?? I predict they will find nothing.

I do not know the solution to this puzzle, but am pretty sure they are on the wrong track......

At this point, if I was a betting man, I'd stick with my hunch that the plane is on the ground in a terrorist friendly area and that the authorities know it. When they show the various satellite photos even I can tell it isn't a plane. I think that's all misdirection.

Otherwise I can't explain why they are putting out such lousy information, and lousy it is. Even the armchair pilots here know that.

Somalia has taken major shipping lines' ships and held them for ransom.

Of course I don't know and am probably wrong, but N. Pakistan or Somalia are possibilities. Maybe there are secret negotiations going on and we are being distracted. Maybe the story of an indefinite amount of fruit on the plane is misdirection. Yes, no, yes. Maybe there is something on it far more valuable.

There's just too much BS about possible flight directions and swearing that shipping containers are probably the plane. There's also a lot to be suspicious about regarding the pilots and some passengers. We can't get a straight story out of anyone.

Sure, it may be in the water but I have my doubts.

I think it is obvious from day one that the Malaysian authorities are trying to hide 'something'..

Foot-dragging, conflicting anouncements, wild-goose chases..etc..

I am convinced that they know the whole truth and they are somehow complicit in the disappearance(i.e shootdown) of the plane..

What we are witnessing are desperate attempts to cover their tracks I think.

I hope they end up with a huge egg in the face and I hope the incident is the last straw that brings the UMNO junta down

I'm of a contrary opinion. The plane's fate was dictated by a suicice - mass murder. - by pilot and/or co-pilot. Pre-programmed route, with probably intention of having plane 'disappeared'. When such dramatic things are going on, often times things happen 'on the fly' in response to unexpected turn of events. Sadly, particularly for the victims' families, we may never know what happened. Similarly, there was never any official confirmation whether Egypt Air (out of NYC) was a suicide. Although all subsequent indications by investigators indicated it was a suicide/mass murder, Egyptian authorities have been determined to deny it. Reasons: to avoid pay-out to victims' families, and as a matter of pride (saying it was impossible that a man who had been to a Hadj - could do such a thing.)

Correction to above - the time of turn was approximately 2 minutes (which is a slow turn). The 1:40 minutes time was for decent to 12,000 feet (also slow).

You cannot be serious in saying that a descent to 12,000ft from 40,000ft in 1 min and 40 seconds is slow?! You evidently don't fly very much

You cannot be serious in saying that a descent to 12,000ft from 40,000ft in 1 min and 40 seconds is slow?! You evidently don't fly very much
Neither do i but i think with dropping altitude like that my ears would be closed beyond belief

Send with Commodore 64

I never mix my keyboard usage with drinking. Pretty sure Coma is taking the piss out of us, but I

thought it was sort of funny... ::-) As all the probable scenarios get exhausted, then the

theories will become more and more improbable. We need Sherlock Holmes , as this issue will be solved by deductive reasoning. And I have yet to hear a strong theory that encompasses all the known facts at hand.

'...when you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'

Sherlock Holmes Quote

There are three parties involved, all with an ax to grind by pointing the finger at the other

parties. Boeing wants to sell airplanes, and will be pointing the finger at the theory of rogue pilots.

Nobody wants to fly in planes that fall out of the sky.....

Malaysia Air wants to stay in business, so will be pointing the finger at some sort of aircraft failure.

This would also relieve them from the millions of dollars of lawsuits headed their way soon.The very last thing they want to hear about is crazed Muslim pilots flying planes full of passengers into the ground the same as Egypt Air 990. " I trust in Allah....." Bammmm !!!!!!!!!!!! Regarding the facts of

that case, it basically came down to whether to believe the NTSB conclusion, or the Egyptian

Civil Aviation Authority conclusion.... :-)

The Malaysian pilots cannot speak until the plane is found, but clearly for them the idea of heroically

battling some sort of in flight problem until the plane crashed would make them look best...

So just have to wait and see what really happened.......

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Same with GF072, everyone knew the pilot was a total cowboy and lost control of the plane by flying like a moron, but the official report did its best to point the finger at Airbus, spatial disorientation and bad CRM.

What happened to the theory from one ex pilot who says that the MAS flight on returning back across the Andaman was able to turn everything off and slot in behind and above a Singapore Airlines A/C which was en route for Barcelona from Singapore.The time frame was exactly right. The MAS would be invisible from the Singapore A/C as the anti collision only looks forward. However he could maintain contact through his (MAS) forward looking anti collision device. At the same time appearing from time to time as a 'ghost' contact immediately above the Singapore Air flight.Radar operators would ignore this. The MAS flight could fly as far as Khagikstan on their fuel. So could have landed anywhere such as Yemen, or Pakistan and now be on the ground.

Hi,

The scenario described is plausible, but the authorities by searching in the Southern ocean seem to have dismissed it. You mentioned anti collision, if I am correct you mean the traffic collision avoidance system. It displays aircraft all around, not only ahead. You can see aircraft behind you, both above and below.

I thought I had read some where that the link to the Singapore flight had been dismissed and the closest aircraft in the vicinity had been an Emirates flight.

And I think you know a lot less about aircraft debris than trained analysts across several countries, including the US. Yes - it might be containers, or some other flotsam, but dont you think the people involved might have something beyond the naked eye to analyse those images and calculate the probability of the debris being something from an aircraft ? The US found Bin Laden by focussing on satellite imagery of an unusually tall man walking outside a house in Pakistan - we aren't talking Blinky Bill with a magnifying glass.

I know the difference between shipping containers and an aircraft or aircraft debris. That's more that you can say for the Aussie leader who said adamantly that they had found it.

You need to brush up on how they found Bin Laden. Google is your friend.

Did anyone notice that the pictures of the two dudes traveling on fake passports have the same legs?

nope what page was that again? Co ing close to 3000 replys must be somesort of tv record ?

Send with Commodore 64

I know the difference between shipping containers and an aircraft or aircraft debris. That's more that you can say for the Aussie leader who said adamantly that they had found it.

You need to brush up on how they found Bin Laden. Google is your friend.

in case anyone hasnt been to pakistan ,there are plenty of tall men as big or bigger than bin ladin was

this theory is just laughable .......

My post provides all the details and some more facts about satellite imagery.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709464-missing-malaysia-airlines-jet-carrying-239-triggers-southeast-asia-search/page-104#entry7601187

Can you provide any kind of link where Abbott has said they have anything but reports of unidentified objects and that they have yet to be verified?

Even the stuff they have had eyes on today has not been stated as being part of the aircraft, simply that they are sending a ship to find it.

Added: An Aussie P3 captain says they've sighted a number of objects above and below the surface.

Patience.

Edited by Chicog

Oh for heaven's sake they photocopied one on top of the other and told the journos as they handed them out. It was a rush job and ages ago. How about discussing what's happening today?

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Chicog

Oh for heaven's sake they photocopied one on top of the other and told the journos as they handed them out. It was a rush job and ages ago. How about discussing what's happening today?

rolleyes.gif

Incredibly sloppy.

Most of you guys don't want to hear the latest news because it does not coincide with your wild imaginations.

----------

"It explains so many pieces that didn't fit together before," she said. "Now, if we have a scenario where something happened, the plane made a dramatic turn and dropped from 35,000 feet to 12,000 feet, this scenario would fit what a pilot would do in the event of a catastrophic onboard event, such as a rapid decompression, a fire, an explosion. That's what you would have to do, descend, get down and turn around and try to get back to an airport that could accommodate an ailing plane."

. . .

Malaysian authorities said Sunday that the last transmission from the missing aircraft's Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System showed it heading to Beijing. That information seems to be at odds with the supposition, reported heavily in many media outlets last week, that someone reprogrammed the plane's flight path before the co-pilot signed off with air traffic controllers for the last time.

This new information about the last transmission reduces, but doesn't rule out, suspicions about foul play in the cockpit. And it is more in line with the theory that some sort of emergency on board forced pilots to change course, analysts said, but it's still unclear what happened.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/24/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane-up-to-speed/?c=&page=2

Can you provide any kind of link where Abbott has said they have anything but reports of unidentified objects and that they have yet to be verified?

Even the stuff they have had eyes on today has not been stated as being part of the aircraft, simply that they are sending a ship to find it.

Added: An Aussie P3 captain says they've sighted a number of objects above and below the surface.

Patience.

"Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott is facing an embarrassing climbdown, admitting it may have been premature to identify debris on satellite images as from the missing flight MH370." The Huffington Post UK | Posted: 21/03/2014 15:10 GMT Link

Do you want more?