Where are the Quality Tea shops - leaves, pods, dried flowers or buds?

kimbathewhitelion

There is (or at least there was) a Whittard of Chelsea shop in the lower level of Paragon near the food court and at Central World, I think on the 2nd floor. They're the only suppliers of decent tea that I've come across in Bangkok. Some of the large supermarkets have quite a selection of bagged and loose tea, but nothing I've found that's like the strong South Africa tea I drank for so many years.

5_Roses-2.png?1371131144

I don't live in Bangkok and usually only come up for a couple of days at a time, so I may have over-looked some more obvious suppliers, but that's all I've found. And even they are not well stocked. I've managed to find quite good Darjeeling or Assam or their Kenyan tea at one or the other, but it's kind of hit and miss.

1480774_626506264057906_2122719128_n.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

There is (or at least there was) a Whittard of Chelsea shop in the lower level of Paragon near the food court and at Central World, I think on the 2nd floor. They're the only suppliers of decent tea that I've come across in Bangkok. Some of the large supermarkets have quite a selection of bagged and loose tea, but nothing I've found that's like the strong South Africa tea I drank for so many years.

5_Roses-2.png?1371131144

I don't live in Bangkok and usually only come up for a couple of days at a time, so I may have over-looked some more obvious suppliers, but that's all I've found. And even they are not well stocked. I've managed to find quite good Darjeeling or Assam or their Kenyan tea at one or the other, but it's kind of hit and miss.

1480774_626506264057906_2122719128_n.jpg

Thanks for the honest info. :) Unlike those like "Thainess" whom is only looking for a pissing match, good info to specific answers is the main reason of this forum...appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

How about in Chiang Mai? I recently bought some really nice tea from a shop in the new Central World... but it was very pricey!

The shop was called Vieng Joom On. And 50grams of tea (jasmine pearls) was a painful 525 baht :( Very small bag... but very good tea.

Cheaper options have to be out there... anyone have any ideas?

Thanks! :)

For top quality tea I use the following places...

Ong's Tea - Ground/Basement level of Siam Paragon near the supermarket area. Really excellent tea, though quite expensive.

Peony - I think they have a few branches in Bangkok - lost of loose tea.

Two Gramps Tea Shop, The Circle, Rachapruk - I saw this just before it opened 2-3 years ago and haven't been back, so not sure if it's still there. I think there's also a Peony shop there.

Chinatown - although there is a lot of very low quality tea there, the refrigerated tea is good quality. Ask around.

New Organic Shop just opened in the Thonglo area on Sukhumvit Soi 49. They make their own chai -- not with tea leaves-- but with asian flowers and leaves. Different formulas using lavendar, snow chrysanthemum, jasmine and other flowers and leaves. Also make a "hangover relief" detox chai with thai herbs that is quite effective. High quality, moderately expensive.

Name of the company is Dr. G Organics. Small shop shares same space as a thai traditional health clinic, on Soi 49, about 300 meters past Samitivej Hospital and less than 100 meters after Racquet Club. 229/9 Soi 49.

• Like 1

New Organic Shop just opened in the Thonglo area on Sukhumvit Soi 49. They make their own chai -- not with tea leaves-- but with asian flowers and leaves. Different formulas using lavendar, snow chrysanthemum, jasmine and other flowers and leaves. Also make a "hangover relief" detox chai with thai herbs that is quite effective. High quality, moderately expensive.

Name of the company is Dr. G Organics. Small shop shares same space as a thai traditional health clinic, on Soi 49, about 300 meters past Samitivej Hospital and less than 100 meters after Racquet Club. 229/9 Soi 49.

LOL. If the don't use tea leaves, then it's not tea! Asian flowers and leaves are not tea.

Careful with this topic! Yesterday I asked if anyone thought I should try tea-bagging and got closed down!!!

I would suggest the Twinnings Tea room in Siam Central. You can enjoy good muffin there. Tell them I sent you!

Twinnings tea is not very good at all.

• Like 1

I found a new tea place on Thong Lor a bit after soi 17, opposite side of Mercedes dealer called Tea Avenue. Got in the 60 tea selection, some Chinese, some blended, some rooibos for those that don't want caffeine. I find for 50gr it is pretty good price at 250-300 baht range, I was told can make about 20 servings with 50gr, haven't finished my first batch of 50gr but should be about right. So around 12,5 to 15 baht per serving, plus I can rebrew the tea. I bought a green tea apple kiwi and there are actually pieces of fruits in there. Some of the more creative blends in there are a green raspberry mascarpone, a black honey mead and a white pomegranate dragonfruit among others.

I found a new tea place on Thong Lor a bit after soi 17, opposite side of Mercedes dealer called Tea Avenue. Got in the 60 tea selection, some Chinese, some blended, some rooibos for those that don't want caffeine. I find for 50gr it is pretty good price at 250-300 baht range, I was told can make about 20 servings with 50gr, haven't finished my first batch of 50gr but should be about right. So around 12,5 to 15 baht per serving, plus I can rebrew the tea. I bought a green tea apple kiwi and there are actually pieces of fruits in there. Some of the more creative blends in there are a green raspberry mascarpone, a black honey mead and a white pomegranate dragonfruit among others.

Will take a look, tea is definitely a nice substitute to coffee. Yesterday came across a place called TWG, a open shop just inside the doors of the Emporium. There're many large Urns shelved along their high partition. Once you find something on the menu, they bring urns over so you can smell the leaves or blends. They also have dried flowers but unfortunately, no chamomile. Was about 255 baht for whichever 50gr pack. Picked up 4 different flavors. Very good.

Chinatown.

There is a lane market full of tea of Yaowarat Road. Sorry i don't know the exact number. It is not a soi. It is a very narrow lane full of market seller. A simple walk up and down Yaowarat and take a look down each lane (you don't even have to walk down, it is visible from the main road) and you will find it. They have every kind of tea there is. All loose, they pack it for you. Price is in kilos (from about 70 baht to 1500 baht per kilo). I usually buy a few 100 grams at a time of several different types of tea.

Chinatown.

There is a lane market full of tea of Yaowarat Road. Sorry i don't know the exact number. It is not a soi. It is a very narrow lane full of market seller. A simple walk up and down Yaowarat and take a look down each lane (you don't even have to walk down, it is visible from the main road) and you will find it. They have every kind of tea there is. All loose, they pack it for you. Price is in kilos (from about 70 baht to 1500 baht per kilo). I usually buy a few 100 grams at a time of several different types of tea.

I googled the road which is quite sized. Next time you go, can you input the corner or closest Soi. Thanks.

Chinatown.

I googled the road which is quite sized. Next time you go, can you input the corner or closest Soi. Thanks.

Here it is --> http://www.renegadetravels.com/where-to-buy-tea-in-chinatown-bangkok/.

Chinatown.

Here it is --> http://www.renegadetravels.com/where-to-buy-tea-in-chinatown-bangkok/.

Now that's a beautiful sight, thanks, no need to look further! Well the the Western blend shops though most expensive are an every once in awhile option.

Chinatown.

Now that's a beautiful sight, thanks, no need to look further! Well the the Western blend shops though most expensive are an every once in awhile option.

Some of the loose tea there can be low quality, as it's out in the heat all day. I always buy the refrigerated tea. Some shops will make the tea so you can taste it first.