Government urged to recover Thailand’s tourism image

webfact

Government urged to recover the nation’s tourism image

PNECO570310001000301_10032014_104926.jpg

BANGKOK, 10 Mar 2014 (NNT) – The Office of the National Economic and Social Advisory Council (NESAC) has advised the government to quickly find measures to restore the nation’s tourism image as the prolonged political conflicts have scared off tourists, taking tolls on the sector’s revenue.

Mr. Uthai Sornlaksap who leads the NESAC’s Macroeconomy, Monetary and Fiscal Committee said that the government should consider making the issue as one of its top priority, citing the importance of tourism as one of the nation’s economic driving forces.

He said the administration should focus its energy on finding assistance measures to strengthen tourism-related business operators who have been affected by the political gatherings.

Mr. Uthai said, in the government’s bid to regain the confidence of foreign tourists, it should urgently find tangible solutions to the ongoing political conflict by making necessary reforms to create reconciliation, justice and unity in the nation, and also making these attempts national agendas.

He urges all parties related to the political conflicts to discard their differences and find a common solution to end the prolonged issue.

Mr. Uthai predicted about 28-30 million foreign travelers would visit Thailand this year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-10 footer_n.gif

The article states that tourists are being scared off Thailand, yet finishes with a projection that's effectively a 10 - 15% increase on the numbers from 2013.

Maybe this is too complicated for my simple brain but I just do not understand this.

As long as this caretaker exists and grenades and shootings occur on a regular basis and as long as Bkk remains with its SOE tourism will continue to suffer. With the SOE no travel insurance can be given.

Even though protesters are mostly targeted for grenade attacks there are still innocents being hurt.

So their ideas to promote and generate more tourism will surely be a waste of time.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The article states that tourists are being scared off Thailand, yet finishes with a projection that's effectively a 10 - 15% increase on the numbers from 2013.

Maybe this is too complicated for my simple brain but I just do not understand this.

If tourists were not being scared off Thailand the increase would have been 100%.. That's what they were trying to say.. :D

• Like 1

They've been talking about cleaning up the transport cartel in Democrat controlled Phuket for years. The result? taxi and tuk tuk fares have increased and tourists are still ripped off. Until all political parties unite against the endemic corruption and dishonesty, nothing will happen. There hasn't been one criminal charge brought against the illegal taxis operating in the Kamala to Katha strip of Phuket ever since the governor promised action. It's no longer a joke. Maybe what will get the attention of Thailand is when there are boycotts of specific regions. Why anyone still goes to Phuket with its polluted water and miserable ambience is beyond me. At least in Hua Hin, which is not a strong supporter of the PTP, the locals do it better.

1st of all, lift the "State of Emergency" in Bangkok!

The Yingluck government declaring a State of Emergency automatically triggered State Departments around the World to issue travel warnings to its citizens. You can't get traveler's insurance to a country that has a declared SoE. Many people had their travel plans ruined and that will have a ripple effect for years to come. This government is expert in shooting itself in the foot. The only problem is, its the people working in the tourist industry that feel the pain. Everyone I know that knows I spend a lot of time in Thailand has asked me about the danger in Thailand. I'm not sure my assurances, that it is safe, convince them. I can think of no other reason tourist would stop coming to Thailand than the government's own actions/overreactions to peaceful demonstrations.

The various issues, political and otherwise, may have put off a lot of 'high end' tourists who don't need to put up with second best but Thailand is still essentially a 'low end' destination that appeals top the budget traveller.

With Chinese and Russian visitors now dominating the kingdom can look forward to more quantity but less quality in the future ergo numbers will be up but revenue will be down.

• Like 1

They've been talking about cleaning up the transport cartel in Democrat controlled Phuket for years. The result? taxi and tuk tuk fares have increased and tourists are still ripped off. Until all political parties unite against the endemic corruption and dishonesty, nothing will happen. There hasn't been one criminal charge brought against the illegal taxis operating in the Kamala to Katha strip of Phuket ever since the governor promised action. It's no longer a joke. Maybe what will get the attention of Thailand is when there are boycotts of specific regions. Why anyone still goes to Phuket with its polluted water and miserable ambience is beyond me. At least in Hua Hin, which is not a strong supporter of the PTP, the locals do it better.

Usual counter remark, bringing the Dems into the argument.

Has the Dems anything to do with TAT ?? has the Dems anything to do with BKK airport corruption------Pattaya----national parks-----Have a good look at Pattaya city council, and most of the Issan run areas, Kick the police who are involved in Phuket and other places not just the Dems, and that goes with all tourist attractions--jet ski, and so on.

I agree with who ever is at fault for making tourist back off ---sort the lot out not just highlight the DEMs, but stop their corrupt places as well.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

19x18xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKn width=19 alt=whistling.gif> As always more "male cattle fecal; matter" from the tourist authorities.

Read through the article, which is supposedly about improving the "image" of tourism in Thailand.

Note carefully that what is really about is finding a way to guarantee the profits for tourist operators in Thailand .... NOT making the actual experience of being a tourist in Thailand for the tourist more

In short it's just about taking as much money, and improving how much money the tourist business gets from the tourist and NOT about making Thailand more enjoyable for the tourist.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but to my simple mind the government would do much better to spend funds to make a quality tourism experience especially for first time tourists to Thailand .... so that when they left and went back to their home countries .... their stories would be how great their experience was in their visit to Thailand.

Instead the government wants to improve the "image" of Thailand tourism by finding more ways to separate those tourists from as many tourist dollars as they can while they are in Thailand.

To my simple mind it simply illustrates the real government opinion of "Tourists" to Thaiiland ... as walking wallets and ATM cards to be touched for every available dollar, pound, or Euro that they have.

If they want a better "image" of Tourism I , as a simple man. would suggest that TAT would do much better in spending their funds to increase tourism by stopping the tourists scams that first time tourists .... especially those with families .... often find in Thailand.

Like the airport taxi scams.

Like the Jet Ski scams.

Like the dirty beaches.

Like the double charging for services for tourists

And so on.

Provide a quality enjoyable holiday experience and a good price, and you won't have to worry about the "Tourists" image of Thailand.

But when you treat the tourist like a walking wallet or ATM card ..... that's the image they will take home to their home country about their tourist holiday time in Thailand.

19x18xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKn width=19 alt=whistling.gif>

Entry to national parks is another

No one wants to take responsibility for fixing things and correcting problems.

Typical behavior here.... blame other people.... ask "Who is in charge...." always trying to pass the buck and act innocent or hurt or smarter than others with NO ACCOUNTABILITY for the crap that they do...

No one wants to take ownership.... love to point fingers at others and piss on others.

Talk a good game but act like cowards... that is why Chuwit, although he is a bonehead and has a seedy business... at least he goes in the middle of the ring and fights it out instead of standing on the outside pissing on other people in the ring.

Edited by Blackmirage2013

Wasn't there JUST an article released about how tourism hasn't been effected at all... and how the political issues didn't effect 100% of the tourists choice of visiting/traveling in Thailand... lol.

"Who cares about the rubbish i spouted yesterday,today is a new day".

• Like 1

They have already killed the goose! T.I.T.

no worries - basically, tourists have an extremely short memory ... look at Egypt, just for example ... they go there, they are scared away, things improve - they come again, they are scared away again, they return etc.etc.

and don't forget: The biggest profit makers on Thai tourism are the global players - they don't care too much about a bad year, they just write it off (beforehand, local staff got fired, of course = no harm done to the company)

Edited by thurien