Tourist? death on Sunday

mamborobert

One thing I will say: I am disturbed to see Chiang Mai lowering itself to the level of Pattaya and showing intrusive and unwarranted pictures of dead people.

Sad to see the rubber neckers have moved in, CM never used to be like that.

Well, yes, but what you're commenting on is English language publications. Thai newspapers run unwarranted pictures all day long, every day of the week; always have, always will.

Some decision must have been made not too long ago at City News / Citylife to go the route of the Pattaya rags. Less focus on accuracy and really researching something, more focus on stories that'll get views and clicks. This is a great sad example. As if the pictures weren't already shocking enough, the icing was really the hint at connecting two deaths and calling that suspicious. (or unusual, whatever the wording was that hints at something dark going on).

Really sad, it used to be a magnificent publication, ever since the days of the (black + one color) Chiang Mai Newsletter. Run at the time by one of the most decent men in Chiang Mai. (Ok, not that there was a lot of competition, but still. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

One thing I will say: I am disturbed to see Chiang Mai lowering itself to the level of Pattaya and showing intrusive and unwarranted pictures of dead people.

Sad to see the rubber neckers have moved in, CM never used to be like that.

You were cautioned you did not have to look. I guess that means you have joined the rubber neckers.

Personally I was more disturbed about the tragic death of a young woman that seems to have had some difficulties rather than the pictures.

It is a indeed a bit sad when people are more disturbed about a photo than a person, CM never used to be like that.

Mods...any chance this could be closed off as my original query has been answered and we have drifting into unnecessary speculation and moralising.

I'm not criticising you for posting them here, you gave fair warning, so get off your high horse.

And you are extremely presumptuous to assume I'm not terribly sad that a woman essentially drunk herself to death one way or the other, or that someone for whatever reason fell to their death.

Just that the Thais consider the pictures of her dead body with that of her grieving partner to be newsworthy.

In Pattaya they pay the police to fight their way into someone's bedroom so they can publish pictures of the deceased, which I think is a disgusting intrusion. I don't know whether or not you agree, and I don't much care.

I would just hate to see Chiang Mai go the same way, and this kind of reporting is a step towards it.