Flights to Kunming

sceadugenga

Finally, Chiang Rai International Airport has an International flight.

While Chiang Rai Airport's international status has always been a source of amusement to travelers I must confess that being able to pass through immigration and customs, so avoiding the scrum at Swampy, then entering the International departures area on arrival with minimum fuss is very convenient.

I'd presume this only works with a Thai Airways domestic connection though.

Edited by sceadugenga

I'd like to see Yangon, Vientiane, Hanoi and Phnom Penh available.

Yangon is available from Chiang Mai, but in general Thailand's stupid obsession with Bangkok's primate city status needs to end before more flights are offered directly to Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai and other cities. It is good to see China Eastern take the lead - some years back THAI used to fly from Chiang Mai to Kunming twice a week, but stopped flying altogether, with no plans to re-offer this service despite the possibility for high load factors. Maybe THAI SMile will see the light in the near future, although the fact that they stopped flights from Phuket to Mumbai, Delhi and Kuala Lumpur only months after they were first offered is not an encouraging sign. Still, forcing everyone to pass through Bangkok is ridiculous - I mean, who goes to LA first in order to get to New York? I don't see any difference in Thailand...now with the problems in Bangkok, airlines should start flying elsewhere and that includes THAI.