Protest leader Suthep expects key reform issues taking a year and a half

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"focusing on poverty eradication, social disparity and strengthening society."

Yes this is the perfect person for this job..WTH... does he even remember what he has been spewing for the last 4 months...?

Is he that far out of touch with his own reality...? He wants a year and a half... and he thinks he can achieve any of this LMAO...and with the public's input.. Arooooor Haaar!

"It will set a precedent for the succeeding government to carry on. Following the process, power will be returned to the people to form an elected government.

The two-week PDRC reform forum will be held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday through March 21 "

LOLOL...yep 6 sessions oughtta do it... "Thanks Public...your input has been great!"

"Meanwhile, Democrat Party spokesperson Chavanond Indarakomalyasut said the party will propose its seven-point national reform plan on March 28"

Ahh the plot thickens..... is he even a little bit believable...?

He says he needs 1 1/2 years to complete the reforms process.

He and Abhisit were in power for 3 years with a full majority in parliament and they did NOTHING.

How can anyone believe it he can do it in half the time this time?

He is a corrupt liar and those who believe him are gullible idiots, nothing more, nothing less.

O clueless one. The Democrats were in the Prime Ministers office with a minority government.

You don't even know AB and C yet you expect us to listen to your jibber jabber. You are certainly in with good company. Here is your bosom buddies.

United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) leader Thida Thavornseth said red shirt supporters will reject the PDRC-initiated reforms as a process going against democracy.

In other words they are not even going to listen to what is said.

She also warned that the red shirts will hold a major rally in the capital if the PDRC, independent agencies and the armed forces are in collaboration to topple the elected government. (MCOT online news)

She thinks there is an elected government. does she not realize she is in Thailand where there is an unelected interim government and we are going to have to go to the constitutional court to see if they are even legally that.

Yes you are in with a real crowd of winners whiners you fit right in.

Close your mind shut your ears and open your mouth typical red shirt tactics.wai.gif

If he had ANY concrete and serious suggestions, and was taking responsibility for his former (and current) misdeeds, I would support him, but there is nothing but abstract nonsense coming from him. In other words, he is bluffing. He pretends to be a saint, brushing aside his former misdeeds, and thus is reduced to propagating hollow lies and empty promises. He has not told us how "he" is going to reduce the influence of the army, improve education, reduce ALL corruption, nepotism and patronage, how to deal with the situation in the south, how to tackle drugs and prostitution, how to improve Thailand's image and standing abroad etc etc. The protests are useless and futile for Thailand, because nothing would get better. There would only be a new set of hands plundering the country through corruption and mismanagement. Same same but different, as the cliché goes.

Have you been asleep or out of touch with the events in Thailand.

Suthep has proposed no answers to those things. That is why he is having a conference to get some answers started. He figures rightly or wrongly it will take an interim Government dedicated to cleaning up the actions of the Government and putting in blocks to prevent them from happening again a year to a year and a half to accomplish.

This is just a warm up to give the people an idea of what can be.

I believe all are invited.

As to his topics I would like to see education in there but it is a start.

what is the PTP red shirts doing to clean up the mess?

Seems to me all they are doing is trying to allow the corruption to continue.

Not one single idea to put an end to it. Realistically it will never all go away but a lot of it can be eliminated.

At least they are now about being a bit more open that it's a PDRC peoples council that they want to put in place, self honesty is a good step.

It's not that they cannot find neutrals it's that nobody will accept them.

Whilst 18 months may be a bit optimistic but at least it's something people can start to consider the cost of this, what is the cost of 18 months of indecision and inertia for Thailand?

For businesses investing in Thailand what does this mean for them?

For the Asean community will Thailand be missing the big boat and the chance to sit at the captains table?

Reform is a good and much needed thing in my view but consideration needs to be given to maintaining a reasonable amount of business as usual during the reform, this needs to be discussed as part of any reform proposals.

Out of interest does anybody know what the PDRC's plan is for the senate if a peoples council is put in place?

Some good points there. I believe that the money people are not stupid and they know what is going on here in Thailand and will be glad to see reform. Just my opinion but it makes sense to me.

I am not that sure that indecision will be a problem for the foreign investors know that it will take time and the people who support the reform know it. I believe it will be more like unfounded anxiety on the part of the people. For the Asean community I believe it is vital for Thailand's future in it.

Maybe you see things differently than I do but the last two and a half years in my opinion Thailand has been going down hill. Cost what it may we need a change now. If not it will just continue down hill and the money people will go to countries looking to build a solid future. Miramar can be a huge challenge to Thailand in up coming years. Who knows what is going to happen in Cambodia but there is the chance that they will go through a far more trying time than Thailand and come out the stranger for it.

All that aside I am more concerned with the welfare of the Thai citizens. The economy is running away and the education system is spinning it's wheels. I may be a foreigner but I have what I consider a Thai family that I do every thing in my power to help

particularly with their education.

Edit

I forgot your question on the Senate good question. I have no idea. It would be nice if Suthep said some thing about that. I am actually surprised the PTP red shirts haven't asked that question yet.

I wonder if this interim government would stick to just running the government and hold off on changes to the constitution until they were all put together and them have them put to the country in an election. That would be one way to do it or spend more money and have several proposals at a time put to the people in several elections there by giving the people more time to analyze each one.

That method would force each side to know what they are talking about and not drag in non related items. Perhaps the Senate would continue doing what it does.

Defiantly a good question and I hope some one with an open mind and knowledge about these things comes along and answers it.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 2

Some serious reforms in the structure of the government, its relationship with the various independent court systems, and independent agencies will require changes in the constitution. That will add another one to two years to Suthep's 18 months. Organized public protests may further impact any reform timetable. Can Thailand basically be stateless over that entire period or in the hands of an unelected administration before the nation's infrasturcture, economy, and Thai baht collapses? A less aggressive reform plan focused on a few fundamental changes may be more healthy for the nation than a grand sweeping change.

Well there is some truth in what you say.

How ever I don't think your time table is right it would not take that long. In my opinion it will be easier to find the right people to do the whole job now (relatively speaking) than over a ten year period. The shorter term you use the less chance of the grafters getting in.

After 5 mths they are only now getting around to talking about it ? pathetic, the time was in the first few weeks and there still isnt any how just general words about what and 18mths yet again, and still not one name of who......... same BS different month.... coffee1.gif

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

POLITICS
PDRC holds first forum on reform

Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

30228901-01_big.gif?1394494131711

Discussion focuses on six issues, with poverty, social disparity the top two

BANGKOK: -- The anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) launched its first forum on national reform yesterday, relying on input from key public figures and a reform panel set up under the previous government.

Poldej Pinprateep, a member of the reform panel that was formerly led by social critic Prawase Wasi and a member of the Cabinet member under the military-appointed administration, chaired the meeting yesterday.

Poldej, who was sitting next to PDRC secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban at the Lumpini Park Youth Centre, said discussions would be based on the findings of the reform panel under the previous government, adding that the discussion this time would cover six issues .

He reckoned that this round would take up to two weeks.

Of the six topics touched upon yesterday, the first one was poverty and social disparity.

Five experts were allotted seven minutes each to offer a proposal on how they would tackle the issues, while PDRC members were granted three minutes each.

Suthep clarified that the findings on the six issues would be presented to a "People's Assembly" and adopted by a non-elected, interim government once Yingluck Shinawatra's administration has been ousted.

However, with this process only involving PDRC supporters, the question that comes to mind is whether it can ever be adopted without resistance from the red shirts.

Chokchuang Chutinaton, a 69-year-old paediatrician and hardcore PDRC supporter, said the focus should be on removing the current administration and then putting in place reforms.

"When an army defeats [its opponents], it doesn't invite the conquered [to take part in rebuilding]. When we win, we won't involve those who have lost, other than youngsters, whom we can train.

"Pardon me, I'm not saying we're perfect either," Chokchuang said, adding that PDRC's victory was a certainty because "good always prevails".

Another proposal by speakers yesterday was the introduction of a progressive land tax. Speaker Prayong Doklamyai pointed out that politicians from the opposition Democrat Party owned more land in total compared to their peers from other parties. Pheu Thai Party came in second.

It was also proposed that the Justice Fund be better financed so more poor people can have access to bail rights and the appointment of a defence lawyer.

Labour leader Wilaiwan Sae Tia proposed that the social welfare fund also cover those in the non-formal sector, while a speaker suggested that a National Savings Fund be created to care for the elderly and that funds from the state lottery go to civic groups instead of the government.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-11

"When an army defeats [its opponents], it doesn't invite the conquered [to take part in rebuilding]. When we win, we won't involve those who have lost, other than youngsters, whom we can train."

This is the reason why Thailand is going to have a civil war. The fascists (what they want is very similar to Mussolini's corporatism) show their true colours here and are no longer bothering to keep up the pretense that their "People's Council" would be neutral. Instead what they are aiming for is a dictatorship backed up by the rule of the gun.

My bet is that if they get their way, after 18 months they will also drop the whole charade of the People's Council being "temporary".

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ThailandNoob

"Mr Suthep said the forum was aimed at allowing public participation from all quarters to exchange their views on the key six pressing issues. At the centre of the discussions are the poverty and disparity, corruption, power decentralisation, police structural reform, electoral and political party system reforms as well as bureaucracy reform."

Will this include those people from the North and Northeastern part of Thailand? Or will this Public Participation be limited to people within Lumpini Park and the less populous Southern Thailand? I sincerely wonder... post-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gy

See my above post.

POLITICS

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

30228901-01_big.gif?1394494131711

BANGKOK: -- The anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) launched its first forum on national reform yesterday, relying on input from key public figures and a reform panel set up under the previous government.

Poldej Pinprateep, a member of the reform panel that was formerly led by social critic Prawase Wasi and a member of the Cabinet member under the military-appointed administration, chaired the meeting yesterday.

Poldej, who was sitting next to PDRC secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban at the Lumpini Park Youth Centre, said discussions would be based on the findings of the reform panel under the previous government, adding that the discussion this time would cover six issues .

He reckoned that this round would take up to two weeks.

Of the six topics touched upon yesterday, the first one was poverty and social disparity.

Five experts were allotted seven minutes each to offer a proposal on how they would tackle the issues, while PDRC members were granted three minutes each.

Suthep clarified that the findings on the six issues would be presented to a "People's Assembly" and adopted by a non-elected, interim government once Yingluck Shinawatra's administration has been ousted.

However, with this process only involving PDRC supporters, the question that comes to mind is whether it can ever be adopted without resistance from the red shirts.

Chokchuang Chutinaton, a 69-year-old paediatrician and hardcore PDRC supporter, said the focus should be on removing the current administration and then putting in place reforms.

"When an army defeats [its opponents], it doesn't invite the conquered [to take part in rebuilding]. When we win, we won't involve those who have lost, other than youngsters, whom we can train.

"Pardon me, I'm not saying we're perfect either," Chokchuang said, adding that PDRC's victory was a certainty because "good always prevails".

Another proposal by speakers yesterday was the introduction of a progressive land tax. Speaker Prayong Doklamyai pointed out that politicians from the opposition Democrat Party owned more land in total compared to their peers from other parties. Pheu Thai Party came in second.

It was also proposed that the Justice Fund be better financed so more poor people can have access to bail rights and the appointment of a defence lawyer.

Labour leader Wilaiwan Sae Tia proposed that the social welfare fund also cover those in the non-formal sector, while a speaker suggested that a National Savings Fund be created to care for the elderly and that funds from the state lottery go to civic groups instead of the government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-03-11

Well for the most part it was just ideas being brought up.

the one that I had to actually laugh at was

The red shirts are so dumb they would object to each of them being given 50,000 baht just because it wasn't from the PTP. On the whole it was good to see these topics brought out and different opinions allowed to be expressed. It showed that there was a way to achieve change. It was a great demonstration of the possibilities. It did not in any way purport to have the solutions just showed a vehicle to arrive at them. All so the fact that most of the speakers were professionals not politicians.

A far better plan than receiving Skype messages and relaying them to the public over Facebook. A completely novel approach in Thailand towards solving problems or at least starting on the road to a solution. the financial disparity will always be with us but it does not have to mean the ones on the low end do with out decent necessities of life such as food shelter health care and education.

Let us hope that Thailand see's the benefit of this and opts to implement it. The choosing of the members will be the hard part. There is bound to be opposition from people who do not want to see corruption brought to as close an end as it is practical to do.

After 5 mths they are only now getting around to talking about it ? pathetic, the time was in the first few weeks and there still isnt any how just general words about what and 18mths yet again, and still not one name of who......... same BS different month.... coffee1.gif

Pathetic it took you five months to see the need for it.

The name will come it is a process first Thailand (you don't really count) has to see the need for it and the possibilities it will offer them.

You are not the only one in favor of maintaining the current corrupt system. they have lot's to overcome but this is a sign to the people that maybe there is a way for a better Thailand than under the Jackboots of Thaksinism.wai.gif

"When an army defeats [its opponents], it doesn't invite the conquered [to take part in rebuilding]. When we win, we won't involve those who have lost, other than youngsters, whom we can train."

This is the reason why Thailand is going to have a civil war. The fascists (what they want is very similar to Mussolini's corporatism) show their true colours here and are no longer bothering to keep up the pretense that their "People's Council" would be neutral. Instead what they are aiming for is a dictatorship backed up by the rule of the gun.

My bet is that if they get their way, after 18 months they will also drop the whole charade of the People's Council being "temporary".

That was the intention in Iraq too, in 2003 after they disbanded the Police and the Army and started the the Ba'athification process, only to realise very quickly that the victors, as in the soldiers were not suited to an Internal Security Role ie Police work.

Former Regime Generals and High Ranking Police were brought back in to begin the process, and the reconstruction, although it's a very different situation in Thailand, it's wrong to say there's no involvement within the losers ;)

POLITICS

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

So he's proposing yet another "winner take all" situation. We won, so we get to do what we want and to hell with the rest of you.

Oh, yeah, that has all the earmarks of reform and reconciliation.

• Like 1

So all these months have gone by with no results at all. Everything is still the same as it has always been in Thailand, with what ever Government is in power.

O yes there have been the usual street blockages, the M79 grenades thrown at both protesting parties and at both party leaders homes, happened last time this was on years ago. Yes there have been deaths as well, more than likely from morons who have nothing better to do than stir up every one. There were actually more murders, deaths, shootings and bombs going off in the southern provinces that in Bangkok. Yes the usual decline in Tourism s during the last uprising.

But the bottom line is nothing has really changed in Thailand.

PURE DEMAGOGY....

EVERY POLITICIAN IS DISHONEST AND CORRUPTED.

EVERYONE.

PERIOD.

Which is basically, someone like Suthep that wants to do a lot of flag waving by appealing to the emotions of the people at this time, he is trying to arouse their emotions and stir up the country.

So far he has accomplished this, but in the short and long term, politics and the people don't mix and nothing will change in the Government, the Military or the Police.

• Like 1

POLITICS

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

So he's proposing yet another "winner take all" situation. We won, so we get to do what we want and to hell with the rest of you.

Well the fact that you had to cherry pick statements from two different posts indicates that you are not really interested in reform.

You like so many other posters like to refer an honest attempt at change as "fascists". Not a one of you has an idea to benefit Thailand. Just continually put down efforts to improve it. the funny part about it is probably half of you are two faced about it and will whine about your inability to own property and the immigration system.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif In short you people are becoming a joke nothing but negativity and no hope to offer.clap2.gif

This whole thing has been put down by people who like you have no interest in change the current corruption system serves your proposes fine.

Well it does not serve mine fine I have no financial gain in it the way it is or what reform would give me. But it does offer a better future for my Thai family whom I care about they are not an inconvenient item to me. They are people I care about.

On second thought yes reform could mean money in my pocket. Less money I would have to spend on their education.

Fire away losers I can take it.

So all these months have gone by with no results at all. Everything is still the same as it has always been in Thailand, with what ever Government is in power.

O yes there have been the usual street blockages, the M79 grenades thrown at both protesting parties and at both party leaders homes, happened last time this was on years ago. Yes there have been deaths as well, more than likely from morons who have nothing better to do than stir up every one. There were actually more murders, deaths, shootings and bombs going off in the southern provinces that in Bangkok. Yes the usual decline in Tourism s during the last uprising.

But the bottom line is nothing has really changed in Thailand.

True particularly in regards to the south. It is rather sickening how many of the posters write it off as unimportant. I have mentioned several times the head lines in the Bangkok Post are often talking of deaths down there.

But even though nothing has changed yet there has been a way shown to a better way of life in Thailand.

How ever you are correct they have stayed away from the problem in the South.

PURE DEMAGOGY....

EVERYONE.

PERIOD.

Which is basically, someone like Suthep that wants to do a lot of flag waving by appealing to the emotions of the people at this time, he is trying to arouse their emotions and stir up the country.

So far he has accomplished this, but in the short and long term, politics and the people don't mix and nothing will change in the Government, the Military or the Police.

You could substitute Thaksin for Suthep and it'd be the same thing.

POLITICS

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Well the fact that you had to cherry pick statements from two different posts indicates that you are not really interested in reform.

You like so many other posters like to refer an honest attempt at change as "fascists". Not a one of you has an idea to benefit Thailand. Just continually put down efforts to improve it. the funny part about it is probably half of you are two faced about it and will whine about your inability to own property and the immigration system.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif In short you people are becoming a joke nothing but negativity and no hope to offer.clap2.gif

This whole thing has been put down by people who like you have no interest in change the current corruption system serves your proposes fine.

Well it does not serve mine fine I have no financial gain in it the way it is or what reform would give me. But it does offer a better future for my Thai family whom I care about they are not an inconvenient item to me. They are people I care about.

On second thought yes reform could mean money in my pocket. Less money I would have to spend on their education.

Fire away losers I can take it.

You are almost humorous. You base your opinion of me on one comment I made, and have probably never seen the numerous other comments I've made that clearly show I am neither Red nor Yellow. THAT is "cherry picking" as you put it.

I am a strong proponent of serious and much needed change in Thailand, for the good of ALL Thai, not just the "winners" who feel they can do what they want, which my highlighted section clearly points out. I've been coming to Thailand off and on for about 40 years, and retired here permanently 6 years ago, so I've see my share, and then some, of the political b.s. that has gone on by ALL parties and politicians.

I just don't see Suthep, who is as crooked and corrupt as any of them, including Thaksin, as the man to bring those changes about. That's like the fox telling the farmer what kind of locks and security are needed for the hen houses.

But you tell me, does the comment of Khun Pinpreteep sound like those of a man dedicated to "reform", or the words of a "winner take all".

• Like 1

PURE DEMAGOGY....

EVERYONE.

PERIOD.

You really are clueless Thaksin runs the country and can not even step foot in it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

While Suthep on the other hand tries to get rid of him and proposes changes that will benefit Thailand all the while he stay's in the country.

You people are passing beyond being a joke to needing a certain type of medical help.coffee1.gif

Edited by northernjohn

PURE DEMAGOGY....

EVERYONE.

PERIOD.

You really are clueless Thaksin runs the country and can not even step foot in it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

While Suthep on the other hand tries to get rid of him and proposes changes that will benefit Thailand all the while he stay's in the country.

You people are passing beyond being a joke to needing a certain type of medical help.coffee1.gif

The ones who are "clueless" are those, such as yourself, who actually believe that Suthep, a man not trusted or respected by his own democratic party when he was a part of it, is the man needed to bring about the changes seriously needed for Thailand. Why don't you Google Suthep and see just what kind of man your "Savior of Thailand" really is?

• Like 1