I Want To Move To Thailand...? Help!

bailey020205

True, to an extent. 200 to 250 US dollars a month can get you a small studio apartment in Bangkok, near the Skytrain and near the farang (foreigner) areas of Bangkok, which is on Sukhumvit Road basically. A house I doubt you can find for this price. More like 400 to 1,000 a month for a decent house in Bangkok.

A decent house in a normal Thai neighborhood in Bangkok goes for 5000 to 10 000 Baht a month (130 - 260 US$).

I pay 8000 Baht for a very nice 2 story house with garden close to a underground station.

One does not necessarily need thousands of dollars to live comfortably in Thailand, it all depends on the lifestyle. One does not need to come here on a secure expat package, also here are lots of opportunities if one is a bit enterprising.

The most important factor is if one is able to adapt to a completely foreign culture, nobody can answer that from the distance. And one month to try out is not enough time to answer that question.

The only thing that can become really expensive here is decent schooling for the son.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon you should feel honored. Cent is a pretty famous guy. His writing has given me hours of pleasure and thousands of laughs and some thoughtful moments. I imagine he is easy to find by google.

For living in Thailand with good nightlife, Western restaurants, economic housing, cool climate a few months a year and excellent English speaking health care my choice is Chiang Mai.

Mark,

I think the word would be 'infamous'? :o Thanks, glad you've enjoyed the stories.

Brandon it would seem would like to be outside of the Big Mango. And Chiang Mai would be a good place I think. Cheaper than Bangkok, good farang amenities at least, and a nice area with many good expats he could hook up with as well to help him out. I've always wanted to spend some time of a longer nature up there. Wouldn't mind living up there for a year myself one day. I've visited a few times, and like it there a lot. At least he should do a visit first, as he has never been here at all. His 'Cuz' sounds like a young backpacker girl who could live off a dollar a day. :D Some of us older people would like a few of the western amenities on occasion. A 23 year old guy might not have a problem, but bringing the child along on that sort of income would be unadvisable I feel. Unless he has some decent health insurance, and some savings as well. One accident or health problem for either could be a financial disaster. Alone he could take his own chances, but not with the kid along, to live here.

Cent

Col

That's a good deal. 8000 baht a month is cheap. I'd love to find a good deal such as this myself if I ever move to Bangkok one day (which I may at some point in the next few years). hel_l, at that price I'd even rent it for the times I do spend in Bangkok rather than use a hotel each time. And near the subway as well. Nice find. I'm not saying a person needs to be on an expat package to live in BKK. But, how did you find the place? Could Brandon find a deal like this on the internet? If he speaks no Thai and has no Thai helping him, would this be easy for him to find for him to rent? Do you think he could have gotten your place for 8000 baht by himself? Or even found it?

Cent

True, to an extent. 200 to 250 US dollars a month can get you a small studio apartment in Bangkok, near the Skytrain and near the farang (foreigner) areas of Bangkok, which is on Sukhumvit Road basically. A house I doubt you can find for this price. More like 400 to 1,000 a month for a decent house in Bangkok.

A decent house in a normal Thai neighborhood in Bangkok goes for 5000 to 10 000 Baht a month (130 - 260 US$).

I pay 8000 Baht for a very nice 2 story house with garden close to a underground station.

One does not necessarily need thousands of dollars to live comfortably in Thailand, it all depends on the lifestyle. One does not need to come here on a secure expat package, also here are lots of opportunities if one is a bit enterprising.

The most important factor is if one is able to adapt to a completely foreign culture, nobody can answer that from the distance. And one month to try out is not enough time to answer that question.

The only thing that can become really expensive here is decent schooling for the son.

As for Bush, he's on his last term.

Don't discount Jeb... If he plays his cards right, America could be blessed with 16 straight years of Bush. :D:o

Well, he would have to change the constitution to do it!!! I'm not sure Georgey boy would be able to do that! :D:D

I think you're too young for that move but like the bar girls said "up to you". Work hard at home for 5-10 years and save some money than make that move to Thailand. I don't think you'll follow my advice so I'm not going to waste your time or mine. Best thing to do is make that move to Thailand and realized for yourself that its not all fun and glorious as some might think.
a very good advice though.

Don't discount Jeb... If he plays his cards right, America could be blessed with 16 straight years of Bush. :D:o

Well, he would have to change the constitution to do it!!! I'm not sure Georgey boy would be able to do that! :D:D

Read slower and more carefully before you laugh. The poster suggested that the current president's brother who coincidently uses the same last name, may run for president. Should he win two terms that would be 16 years of Bushes.

cv

To me the heat in Bangkok and Pattaya and the South is a killer. I tried it for three months. Although if you look at the daily temp statistics Chiang Mai is about the same but it seems a dryer heat and it is cool in the mornings and evenings. This year it is still comfortable right now and we have the windows open as I write this and it was actually cold for a couple of months. The only drawback in the climate is the darn burning season. The smoke is very bad.

The health care is great at the three expensive hospitals which would concern me if I had children. But there is a very good Thai hospital which has some of the best doctors in town practicing there if you don’t mind the lobby being like a bus station the care is excellent. So there is a low cost health care alternative.

If I had to work I would head to Bangkok because foreign jobs are not readily available here nor do they pay as much as Bangkok.

The other thing that would attract me if I was 23 is this is very much a university town. There are more young women who speak some English here than any place I have been in Thailand (discounting bar English in Pattaya).

They don’t readily speak it but after a few drinks it comes out that everyone at the table speaks some English. Not of course first hand information but that is what I have heard.

Plus there a lot of young Farang women here. My tuk tuk driver is dating two of them and he seems tired all of the time. I guess he could use some help.

Plus this is a very social place we have people drop in almost every night and the night life for a young man who speaks a little Thai is nothing but awesome.

Well, I get so many mixed things from you guys. For one, my wife and I are not fighting we are not together. We will do what's best for my son. Its that's with me or her. Also, I have been told and researched that If my son were to live with me in Thailand school are great for people who have money. I am not looking to stay in a big city but also not looking to live in a shake on the beach. I have found nice places for less than $200 a month in rent. That leaves $1,300 out of $1500. Food cant be more than $100 a month for me and my son. $1200 left. Lets say baby stuff and toys and clubs and transportation and what not is another $300 a month or even $500 why not. Leaves me with $700. Lets say im not even thinking of $300. I still have $400 left over each month and as I right this my cuz who has been in Thailand for years is going crazy because she said I can do everything I just said for under $500 a month.

Still wanting to know why the mixed answers.

Forget bringing your child to Thailand with you. He belongs with his mother in the States unless she's a loser. He can go to school free in the US and then make the Thai decision when he's an adult. You would probably spend at least $1K a month sending him to an english speaking school in Thailand. The downside is that you're opportunities to see him would be greatly deminished which could likely sour you on this whole "live in Thailand" adventure. Also....as one of the other posters mentioned...you WILL hook up with a Thai girl and wind up with another little one before you know it. Still, I would give it a one year opportunity to learn all you can about the place and then re-evaluate

Forget bringing your child to Thailand with you. He belongs with his mother in the States unless she's a loser. He can go to school free in the US and then make the Thai decision when he's an adult. You would probably spend at least $1K a month sending him to an english speaking school in Thailand. The downside is that you're opportunities to see him would be greatly deminished which could likely sour you on this whole "live in Thailand" adventure. Also....as one of the other posters mentioned...you WILL hook up with a Thai girl and wind up with another little one before you know it. Still, I would give it a one year opportunity to learn all you can about the place and then re-evaluate

As a follow up, there is no way your Ex would ever let you take the child half way around the world where she would never see him (again...unless she's a loser) and the court would back her up on it.

Look! This is simple.

Forget about the 'dotting your 'i's & crossing your 'T's...just DO IT!!!

If you listen to the 'victims of money', you may never do anything. It will be simply too dangerous & not 'cost affective'. Forget about this crap... just be true to your own desires & see what happens.

Afterall, who is responsible for your life? YOU!!!!! & nobody else.

You only live once.

Col

That's a good deal. 8000 baht a month is cheap. I'd love to find a good deal such as this myself if I ever move to Bangkok one day (which I may at some point in the next few years). hel_l, at that price I'd even rent it for the times I do spend in Bangkok rather than use a hotel each time. And near the subway as well. Nice find. I'm not saying a person needs to be on an expat package to live in BKK. But, how did you find the place? Could Brandon find a deal like this on the internet? If he speaks no Thai and has no Thai helping him, would this be easy for him to find for him to rent? Do you think he could have gotten your place for 8000 baht by himself? Or even found it?

Cent

Not difficult, easy to find.

Not on the internet though.

One simply has to walk around Thai neighborhoods in Bangkok, and ask around (someone is bound to speak at least some English, for non-Thai speakers). Or, there are real estate magazines for the Thai market, in which there are hundreds of small ads from people who rent or sell (someone will have to help translating).

The best way to start is renting a cheap apartment, or guesthouse room, and start from there.

I would though not rent a house and leave anyting irreplacable unguarded for a long time - burgling is a serious problem in Bangkok, especially in Sukhumvit and Aree areas. There are many places available though in old family style compounds that are relatively secure as there is always someone there.

In the last ten years in the Thai oriented market the rents hardly climbed at all, there is still a huge oversupply of housing here.

Important though is to first ask around about safety issues. There are some very dodgy neighborhoods in Bangkok and surroundings, and they have to be avoided if one does not want to live in gangland.

Definately to be avoided are Samut Prakan and the Rama 2 area in Thonburi (only the rather expensive Mu Bans with security are safe there).

Col

Cent

Not difficult, easy to find.

Not on the internet though.

One simply has to walk around Thai neighborhoods in Bangkok, and ask around (someone is bound to speak at least some English, for non-Thai speakers). Or, there are real estate magazines for the Thai market, in which there are hundreds of small ads from people who rent or sell (someone will have to help translating).

The best way to start is renting a cheap apartment, or guesthouse room, and start from there.

I would though not rent a house and leave anyting irreplacable unguarded for a long time - burgling is a serious problem in Bangkok, especially in Sukhumvit and Aree areas. There are many places available though in old family style compounds that are relatively secure as there is always someone there.

In the last ten years in the Thai oriented market the rents hardly climbed at all, there is still a huge oversupply of housing here.

Important though is to first ask around about safety issues. There are some very dodgy neighborhoods in Bangkok and surroundings, and they have to be avoided if one does not want to live in gangland.

Definately to be avoided are Samut Prakan and the Rama 2 area in Thonburi (only the rather expensive Mu Bans with security are safe there).

Col is right on the money for a house.

Another option out in Lad Prao, at Town & Town Condo's you can get a nice 2 Bdrm/ 2 Bath Condo for 12,000 Baht/Month + Electric. Close to the Subway, which is 10-15 minutes from Asoke Station.

Make the move, I think it would be a great experience for you to try it, if it goes bad you can move back, your young and will have a ball in Thailand.

The girls are good, but if I was you I wouldnt be going to the bars (especially tourist hot spots)looking for girls as some will be ok but alot is just after your cash.

Im also looking to move permanently next year with my fiancee and I cant wait to get over there.

The girls are good, but if I was you I wouldnt be going to the bars (especially tourist hot spots)looking for girls as some will be ok but alot is just after your cash.

Better yet, 'ol Bailey should go up to Isaan and just pluck one of the beauties right off the farm before they have had a chance to understand how much money is "a lot".

Bailey,

Let me chime in here, although I don't live in Thailand, at least, not yet. Speaking of Americans, I think it is a good thing for people to take risks during their twenties to do something they really want to do. You have a considerable advantage in having a portable income along with whatever business or technical talent provided you with it. Living abroad will enlarge your view of the world, even if, in the end, it turns out not to be for you. So, I would say go for it.

However, taking big risks when you are a little kid is not recommended, in my view. The education system alone would argue against growing up in Thailand vs. the US, warts and all.

I pursued other interests during my twenties at the expense of education, job, and career. When I was thirty I decide to get a conventional career together after all. Now I am fiifty-seven, finishing a successful career, married to a Thai woman and studying the Thai language with a view toward resettling there in three to five years. I always wanted to live abroad. Like you I am repelled by much of America, from the thug-in-chief on down. Getting out physically is not enough however. It is important to get into another culture to see the unimaginable ways in which people can live differently. It goes without saying that one wouldn't actually like all of those ways.

One good point to be made for America--it will always give you a second chance, assuming you are white and educated.

Best of luck either way,

Khun Pad Thai

Wow, Again thank you all! This has been so helpful. I have started my Plan. I am going to be visiting around Nov with my cuz for a month. I will travel and see the land. I expect to come back but leave no option closed. Since I do not plan on going soon I was wondering if anyone had anything online I could look at for rentals. Most places i find online, I assume, are owned by Americans and renting them for $1,000's.

Also, I wanted a little more info on my business in Thailand. I would need to make calls to the US ( via Voip or Skype services ) for about 2 hours a day. I would also need internet access. Does anyone have any info as to how I will be able to have internet and phone access on a daily basis?

As a side note. I spoke to my wife and i wont be taking my son with me.

Also I do plan on going to school to learn Thai and also I plan on researching other parts of life that here in the stats i have yet had a chance to do such as good eating habits ( i love Thai food! ), message/ Physical knowledge and health and many other areas i hope to learn about while I am there.

You guys have me so excited! If I had the $700 for a plan ticket I would already be there!! lol

Also I have a friend who wants to move there but he wants to have lots of animals (such as dogs). he is worried people will take them and sell them or eat them! Anyone want to touch on this?

Let your friend first find out if he likes it here before taking up the responsibility for dogs. Having dogs means years of responsibility, and abadoning them is a very bad thing. But yes, i have a few dogs, they won't sell though as they are former street mongrels.

And yes, one has to be a bit careful because some people do eat dogs.

Also I have a friend who wants to move there but he wants to have lots of animals (such as dogs). he is worried people will take them and sell them or eat them! Anyone want to touch on this?

Let your friend first find out if he likes it here before taking up the responsibility for dogs. Having dogs means years of responsibility, and abadoning them is a very bad thing. But yes, i have a few dogs, they won't sell though as they are former street mongrels.

And yes, one has to be a bit careful because some people do eat dogs.

So your saying its not a good idea to raise dogs in thailand? And would someone really break into your house or back yard and steal your dogs?

I have started my Plan. I am going to be visiting around Nov with my cuz for a month. I will travel and see the land. I expect to come back but leave no option closed.

A wise decision. If you plan to visit the country for 30 days, you won't need to hassle with getting a visa from a Thai consulate office in the States. All you need is your round trip ticket and your passport. You'll be given a visa stamp on arrival when you go through customs.

Some people like Thailand, but some people don't. Visiting is a good way to discover for yourself. It's a good idea to make plans, but it's also a good idea to be flexible.

In your first post, you said: "I am 23 years old and tired of the US. I want to get away" and you also said, "I am tired of Bush, cost of living and people." While you may have a point, they aren't really great reasons to want to move to a country you've never been to. The problem is that such reasons are never actually left behind and you'd only find the same reasons no matter where you are or where you go. Forget about them and focus on enjoying yourself and having a good time, make new friends, learn about the country, the people, the customs, and (very important) learn at least a bit of the language.

Admittedly, there are negative things about Thailand as well as positive things. Personally, I think most of it is a matter of personal perspectives. If you don't let yourself get too hung up on negatives, and take things as they are, you'll enjoy things a lot more. That's not to say you have to abandon your own values either. Just be aware that not everybody and everything will necessarily be as you imagine right now.

Keep in mind that Thailand is NOT the USA. Although you may well be accepted by locals, you'll still be regarded as a foreigner. The more you learn about things, the easier it can be to find ways that will benefit you. If there's anything that impresses a Thai, it's a foreigner who has taken the time and shows the interest about understanding Thailand.

Last of all, and this is true about visiting anywhere (even in the USA), use your common sense and don't take unnecessary risks. As someone stated earlier, don't flash money around to try to impress anyone. That's a sure way of being seen as a walking ATM and end up being taken to the cleaners.

Just be yourself and enjoy the trip. I'd suggest making several trips to Thailand to look around. If you decide you'd like to eventually move to Thailand, you'll have a better idea of what's around and things that are available, such as the location and kind of accomodations that seem right for you. You can always base yourself in one particular spot and explore various options and opportunities from there.

You'll find plenty of foreigners in Thailand. When I'm in Thailand, I rarely get a chance to meet any foreigners. Not that I don't want to, but rather that we're out in the boonies and usually busy doing other things. If you spend some time getting to know more of the members of this forum, take advantage to meet some of them.

At the very least, I'd guess you'll certainly have a good time and find your trip to a very good learning experience. If nothing else, it can be a good way to relax and recharge from your current experiences.

Edited by AmeriThai

Read slower and more carefully before you laugh. The poster suggested that the current president's brother who coincidently uses the same last name, may run for president. Should he win two terms that would be 16 years of Bushes.

cv

Thank you, cv.... I apologize if my comment was overly cryptic... it certainly did seem so at the time... :D

wow, well since no one really has anyhting bad to say i guess im all for it LOL What about hospitals and getting sick? I assuem fi you have money its not a problem. Schools? Internet? I dont mean to keep this going its just here in the US when its too good to be true thats because its not true! lol thanks guys

Have you ever been to Thailand? Why not just start with a visit so you can better decide if you want to move here.

Bad things?

Pizzas are made with mayonaisse instead of tomato sauce.

:o

YUCK! I remember the first and only time I had pizza in Thailand, what the hel_l are they thinking?

wow, well since no one really has anyhting bad to say i guess im all for it LOL What about hospitals and getting sick? I assuem fi you have money its not a problem. Schools? Internet? I dont mean to keep this going its just here in the US when its too good to be true thats because its not true! lol thanks guys

Have you ever been to Thailand? Why not just start with a visit so you can better decide if you want to move here.

Bad things?

Pizzas are made with mayonaisse instead of tomato sauce.

:o

YUCK! I remember the first and only time I had pizza in Thailand, what the hel_l are they thinking?

So?

Then you should go to Basilico in soi 33, and reconsider.

Unfortunately Thailand's best pizza restaurant, the San Remo, has closed. But Basilico is more than acceptable as well.

This thread is getting weirder and weirder. Pizzas with mayonnaise. I've had many pizzas here and they've been as good as . . if not better . . than any overseas. Pizza Co is more than fine.

Am I alone in thinking that the OP might be showing troll-like tendencies?

Worried about people looking down on his cos he is white and has money? Now worried about bringing dogs in case people eat them . .

pulllllleeease!

Bad things?

- The humidity and heat are brutal.

- Mosquitos can drain all your blood overnight.

- Traffic at rush hour in the cities run at full speed with vehicles so close you can't squeeze a sheet of paper between them.

- Cockroaches are as big as your fist.

- House lizards (jing-jok) scurry across ceilings and crap on everything.

- One inch out of the tourist areas and everyone speaks Thai.

- Taxi drivers overcharge you and always take the longest way to get you to your destination.

- Pizzas are made with mayonaisse instead of tomato sauce.

- Never go anywhere without knowing where the nearest toilet is located.

- Never use any ice that has anything inside that can look back at you.

- Out in the boonies, never drink water that was pumped from a pond surrounded by outhouses.

:D

I am also intrested in finding out more about living and retireing to the land of smiles

This thread is getting weirder and weirder. Pizzas with mayonnaise. I've had many pizzas here and they've been as good as . . if not better . . than any overseas. Pizza Co is more than fine.

Am I alone in thinking that the OP might be showing troll-like tendencies?

Worried about people looking down on his cos he is white and has money? Now worried about bringing dogs in case people eat them . .

pulllllleeease!

Coming from a person who is not generally familiar with the way of life in Thailand, I find his questions/comments in no way 'troll' like. Give the guy a break. He is asking pertinent questions from an outsiders point of view. Did you know everything about Thailand before you moved here? I think not.

I think you've had a few too many 'Changs' :o