Sunday lunch buffets

khunphilip

Best buffet in town is at the Empress Hotel. There are dozens of delicious entrees; Western, Thai, and Chinese, many more sides, (even some of eyecatcher's finger foods if you're a snob,) roasts being carved to order by a chef and steaks being cooked to order. Plenty of things requiring a knife and fork, many more requiring chop sticks, even fresh sashimi and sushi. The dessert table has more varieties of tasties (cakes, tarts, fresh fruits, etc,) than I was able to quick count. About 300 baht per person, unless you have a Member's Card. It's a good idea to make a reservation as the Empress is now catering to large tour groups. If no res, best to get there around 11:30-11:45 and you will probably get a table in the outer seating area, which many prefer as it's less hectic.

We try to eat there at least once a month. It really is worth the money, in taste, quality, and variety!

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

A buffet is finger food for snobs.

Be a real man and have a proper sunday fill at Archers bar.

Plenty of supporters on here for it.

Good answer, for me, the only good buffet is ordering a range of things I like, rather than the stuff they try to feed you, when i pay for food, I rather eat what I want.

re

buffets in Chiangmai

has anyone tried the new 120 baht every day buffet at

fueng fah next to the dungtawan hotel on loi kroh road ?

i think its aimed at chinese japanese korean customers

more than roast chicken with three veg eaters but might be

worth a try at 120 baht :)

dave2

post-42592-0-04758000-1394542439_thumb.j

post-42592-0-03880100-1394542490_thumb.j

re

buffets in Chiangmai

worth a try at 120 baht smile.png

dave2

Ate there about a month ago. Evening not lunch not sure they have a lunch one.

Will not bother going in for it if they do. found the evening one less than desirable. Enjoyed the music.

Best buffet in town is at the Empress Hotel. There are dozens of delicious entrees; Western, Thai, and Chinese, many more sides, (even some of eyecatcher's finger foods if you're a snob,) roasts being carved to order by a chef and steaks being cooked to order. Plenty of things requiring a knife and fork, many more requiring chop sticks, even fresh sashimi and sushi. The dessert table has more varieties of tasties (cakes, tarts, fresh fruits, etc,) than I was able to quick count. About 300 baht per person, unless you have a Member's Card. It's a good idea to make a reservation as the Empress is now catering to large tour groups. If no res, best to get there around 11:30-11:45 and you will probably get a table in the outer seating area, which many prefer as it's less hectic.

We try to eat there at least once a month. It really is worth the money, in taste, quality, and variety!

You are right on song, "FolkGuitar."

The Empress Hotel is without a doubt, the best. We've been going there for years, even our Teenage daughter still loves it.

We used to go to the Chiang Mai Grand once in a while but the Empress runs rings around it.

• Like 1

re

buffets in Chiangmai

dave2

Doesn't look very appetizing to say the least.

The Empress Hotel is without a doubt, the best. We've been going there for years, even our Teenage daughter still loves it.

We used to go to the Chiang Mai Grand once in a while but the Empress runs rings around it.

Empress is pretty good. But Grandview is about 1/2 the price. We went to Grandview for many years and never a single complaint. Then we went there last Christmas Eve and had the worst meal imaginable. Apparently there was a change in the head chef right around the end of December. Haven't been back since.

The best Sunday buffet in Chiangmai is at Dhara Devi, but of course, is also the most expensive, however, if you look what they offer...wow...is amazing.

Just for give you an idea, Canadian Lobster, Fois Gras, Fresh seafood, cold cuts, and much much more.

• Like 1

Empress is pretty good. But Grandview is about 1/2 the price. We went to Grandview for many years and never a single complaint. Then we went there last Christmas Eve and had the worst meal imaginable. Apparently there was a change in the head chef right around the end of December. Haven't been back since.

The only thing the Grandview has going for it is the price. A very limited selection. In the last three years I have eaten there about four times and they defiantly have no consistency to it.

The Empress is more expensive but it has a wider selection. Every time I have eaten there it has been consistently well prepaired. My friend prefers the Holiday Inn at a much greater price. It does have a large selection but most of it does not really appeal to me. The last time I was there they were carving the ham. It was so thin you could almost see through it. I had to show him a decent thickness. In my opinion 3/8 of an inch to 1/2 an inch not 1/8 of an inch.

There may be better Buffets in Chiang Mai but I don't think you can find one with as good a value for your baht as the Empress.

• 1 month later...

On this and others advice we lunched at the Empress Hotel Sunday. I have to say that we found it lacking any stand out dish, something that made you not care if you gained a lb. or 2 and we could only give it 2 1/2 out of 5 stars. I can't say it was bad or an effort wasn't made but I could find nothing that made me want to have a second or third helping, the wife didn't even have to give me "the look". All I can say is the fare was fair, I'd hoped for something, anything really good.

If we get to CM on Sunday again we'll have to try one of the other honorable mentions.

• Like 1

Had a terrific buffet at the Sirilanna Hotel (between Gymkhana golf and the rail station) last Sunday. We got there a little late as it closes at 3pm but they were very patient -we left about 3.45 replete. Ambience and service complement the food. Their weekday buffet is only 189bht but Sunday is about 600 including including..

The bbq chef will prepare crab, huge prawns and mussels etc and they have a great range of thai and international dishes, and pastries that are the best I have had anywhere-anywhere, not just Chiang mai. You can eat in the a/c dining room (too cold for me), or semi-out under cover with faans and big a/c unit which I find very comfortable.

Smaller and quieter than Empress, and I think the food, preparation and service is a higher standard.

But be interested to see reports from other diners there - and of course it depends what you like. One suggestion would be to get there not later than 1.30 on a sunday to really do it justice.

On this and others advice we lunched at the Empress Hotel Sunday. I have to say that we found it lacking any stand out dish, something that made you not care if you gained a lb. or 2 and we could only give it 2 1/2 out of 5 stars. I can't say it was bad or an effort wasn't made but I could find nothing that made me want to have a second or third helping, the wife didn't even have to give me "the look". All I can say is the fare was fair, I'd hoped for something, anything really good.

If we get to CM on Sunday again we'll have to try one of the other honorable mentions.

It had been quite a while since I had eaten there at the Empress as I tend to stay away from buffet's. But the wife and I did go there a few weeks ago and I was disappointing. Not what it used to be. In my opinion.

We had the buffet lunch last Sunday at the Holiday Inn, not the cheapest at 800 baht per person but excellent quality and a very wide selection - we'll go back again from time to time but not a regular thing.

It had been quite a while since I had eaten there at the Empress as I tend to stay away from buffet's. But the wife and I did go there a few weeks ago and I was disappointing. Not what it used to be. In my opinion.

We noticed a decline in the quality of the Empress too when we went about a week ago. It was obvious why. They now are marketing and catering to the Chinese tour bus crowd. Quality has gone downhill. Mostly Chinese consumers who pack 'doggie bags' and sneak them in their purse. Very few Thais on our last visit. We will not be going back.

I'm glad to hear the Sirilanna has another promotion. A few years back we were going there about twice a week for lunch, often bringing a few people with us and everyone was happy as you could order khao soy along with your pizza, etc. Caeser salad was great. I think everything on the menu was 39 Baht! Open from 11:39 to 14:39.laugh.png Then the next promotion was 59 Baht but the portions were about 1/2 the size but still delicious. We'll give it a go again during the week.

re

buffets in Chiangmai

dave2

I had dinner there and all I can say is that I don't think I could get a starving dog to eat the food.

You gets what you pays for, etc.

• Like 1

only wishsmile.png that one can turn the clock back to the westin /,amari rincombe dayssmile.png they were buffett lunches for the purist ,at very affordable prices,sadly good things never last for everrolleyes.gif now a days it seems a hit and miss affair,perhaps h/inn is a good call for mine,but if one does his sums , 800 baht can give you a better nose bag,say at the chez marco or the river market,sure not a buffett but but both estabalishments have a extensive menus,and u can wash your grub down with a beer or wine at reasonable prices,these hotels luv gouging your eyes out on beaverages, just my opinion,a very nice afternoon to allsmile.pngbiggrin.png

we don't live in CM but we've tried Empress twice (when visiting) food is very poor quality badly cooked and total rubbish but its cheap and IMO for cheap char lies Id rather have a bowl of up market 50 baht noodles than subject myself to that food.

Its not about quantity We eat cheap sometimes very up market but not crap. Value for money can be found at both ends but not at Empress

Best value can be very upmarket places when they do a buffet deal especially if theirs a free flow wine option. FOr example Le Crystal where normally you'd need 10k baht fror 2 with wine minimum used to do a eat as much buffet for 1000.

IMO avoid all cheap 199 baht places you get tons of MSG lots of cheap chemical produced foods and a lot of reheating.

Best to cook yourself

• Like 2

We had the buffet lunch last Sunday at the Holiday Inn, not the cheapest at 800 baht per person but excellent quality and a very wide selection - we'll go back again from time to time but not a regular thing.

Sundays at the Holiday Inn lunch time. Some weeks are good other weeks very poor, I find the weekday lunch there very good and the seafood dinner friday and saturday good value, but went there two weeks ago on the sunday and found it very poor the food was very badly prepared. But then on the other hand there are people who say the Empress is good each to his own.

If you are willing to shell out 800baht** give Le Meridien a look.

The Italian cold cuts and cheese are worth half of the fee and add half a dozen fin de claires and you've had your monies worth but there's plenty else there. Starts 1130 through to 1500.

**price with card which can be acquired and utilized on the day.

Had a terrific buffet at the Sirilanna Hotel (between Gymkhana golf and the rail station) last Sunday. We got there a little late as it closes at 3pm but they were very patient -we left about 3.45 replete. Ambience and service complement the food. Their weekday buffet is only 189bht but Sunday is about 600 including including..

The bbq chef will prepare crab, huge prawns and mussels etc and they have a great range of thai and international dishes, and pastries that are the best I have had anywhere-anywhere, not just Chiang mai. You can eat in the a/c dining room (too cold for me), or semi-out under cover with faans and big a/c unit which I find very comfortable.

Smaller and quieter than Empress, and I think the food, preparation and service is a higher standard.

But be interested to see reports from other diners there - and of course it depends what you like. One suggestion would be to get there not later than 1.30 on a sunday to really do it justice.

I believe the hotel being referred to is Siripanna, not Sirilanna. Their buffets are very good, in my estimation, and at 189 baht it's a pretty good deal. They start serving at noon.

Here's a street view: http://goo.gl/maps/7sIfb

I believe the hotel being referred to is Siripanna, not Sirilanna. Their buffets are very good, in my estimation, and at 189 baht it's a pretty good deal. They start serving at noon.

Here's a street view: http://goo.gl/maps/7sIfb

Many apologie for my confusion over the name - you are of course correct - Siripanna.