Carnage on Koh Samui's Roads

Exactly same in Pattaya. Thais driving like maniacs, old foreigners and often their "ladies" behind the wheel of an over-sized truck in narrow Sois driving like morons. On top of that tons of Indian single male travelers in groups walking along Sois & Roads as if it was a sidewalk.

Seen a guy on a wheelchair stuck in middle of 2nd. Rd. halfway across....Th bloody bikes and cars not stopping and driving around him until some courageous bike-taxi guy from the sidelines came to his rescue. Disgusting. MS>

7 things why things go wrong - horribly! Combine any two of the latter line up and changes grow drastically. Three and things get very worrying. Four to seven - pure luck if you made it home...

Too much speed

Distance to drive

Drunkenness

Location of the island

Time of the day

Day of the week

Awareness of what is going on

To add...

Driving with due care and attention....

Don't use a mobile phone while driving ...it's amazing how many people one sees, doing that.. and not just Thai's ....w00t.gif

Use rare view mirrors...

Do NOT use front hand brake when cornering your click , on sandy surfaces. Saw it happen right in front of me yesterday. But this can be expected when inexperienced riders can rent a motorcy at any time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a dead baby lying on the road in samui , the mother had carried it while driving a bike , no helmet so the baby's head is like an orange .. Extremely distressing to view .. There is nothing I haven't seen on the roads on samui , legs missing , squashed skulls , young / old , Thai / foreigners .. Most motor bikes , but a few car crashes while the driver has been drunk .. Untill samui upgrades it's road safety , nothing will ever Chand

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

You must admit (assuming you have lived here for a while) that the roads have, in fact, improved dramatically over recent years. What hasn't improved is the driving.

You are quite right, Boater, the road safety needs to improve and that is not just infrastructure; it includes driver training, vehicle maintenance, licencing, policing, law enforcement........ yeah, OK! We can all see that the problems are not just the road surfaces......

Edited by ArfurMaggot

Just passed what looked like a fatality on Ghost Rd. It was dark, but looked like a Thai guy got clipped. Bunch of people standing around a mangled bike and body, no one giving assistance.

It's a holiday weekend, please play safe and wear your helmets.