Looking for Baby's store with reasonable price in CM?

jiangaq

There is a large baby store behind Big C Extra, in the Chiang Mai Business Park area.

However all low-end stuff you can pick up at Tesco or Big C, all the higher end stuff at the shipping malls. (Central, Robinsons)

For some expensive items it's also worth checking out all the Chiang Mai second hand Facebook pages, putting up a 'Wanted' post if needed. (Things like quality strollers and car child seats.)

And for some things consider if you need a dedicated thing at all; for example rice cookers with steaming basket make excellent bottle steamers. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

There is a large baby store behind Big C Extra, in the Chiang Mai Business Park area.

However all low-end stuff you can pick up at Tesco or Big C, all the higher end stuff at the shipping malls. (Central, Robinsons)

In CBP, what's the name of the large store you mentioned? It belongs to low-end or high-end?

Have been looking myself recently.... even in Tesco the quality of their push chairs is really poor....cheap rubbish.

Gonna bring some gear back from Mothercare in the UK.

Be interested to know if there is a Mothercare that delivers on Thailand. Reckon it could be pricey if imported from the UK.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kjhbigv

If I remember correctly I found IC was quite expensive. While on the subject I'm looking for a baby seat for a Hyundai H1 Van. Since the back seats don't have shoulder harness seat belts nor anchors I haven't been able to find anything that will correctly fit. Any suggestions??

If I remember correctly I found IC was quite expensive. While on the subject I'm looking for a baby seat for a Hyundai H1 Van. Since the back seats don't have shoulder harness seat belts nor anchors I haven't been able to find anything that will correctly fit. Any suggestions??

Is this for a very young child? At least in northern Europe, most of the larger (for children from around 13kg and up) car seats do not depend on the three point belt system, but instead do with the two point belt, and in addition usually two belts attaching the back of the baby seat to the metal frames the front seats are installed in. At least this is the case for the rear facing car seats, which is all I have looked at as I believe in the logic behind why that is safer than front facing.

If this is indeed for a very young child (less than 9 kg / 9 months?) I think one of the best seats one can get, based on the reviews I read about a year ago, is the duologic 2 from Akta Graco, which you can see here: "http://shop.carseat.se/car-seats/duologic-2.html". Unlike most other seats I've seen/used, it does not have the two belts attaching the back of the baby seat to the metal frames in front (where the front driver/passenger seats are installed), so it does not sit as tight as others, but it is still one of the highest rated seats not requiring isofix (though it does also support isofix). Our car unfortunately does not have isofix, so I had to find a car seat that does not depend on isofix, yet has good safety ratings. The duologic 2 is fitted with the two point belt system and the usual leg that extends from the back of rear facing car seats to the floor of the car. Another benefit is that it is certified up to 18kg, so if for a newborn, you will be able to use it for a long time.

I have the duologic 2 for my youngest one, and I think this one for the older one: "http://shop.carseat.se/car-seats/britax-hi-way-ii.html". Possibly the leg that extends from the back of the seat and to the floor on most (all?) rear facing seats will be a problem in a van, if the car seat is so high that the leg can not reach the bottom, so would need to check out that before buying.

I've seen some high quality car seats at Central Airport Plaza I think.

Edited by Awk
  • Like 1

If there are only lap belts and no belts that go across the shoulder then you can't install it on the back seats.

So the only option left is the front seat, which is not ideal but better than having a kid not restrained at all.

And you need to disable passenger-side airbags, if any.

• Like 1

IS Baby is the most complete baby store...big C extra good for cheap baby clothes..

Also try the stores adjacent/behind the fresh market next to mi chok plaza esp for clothes...

Same situation with the covered outdoor markets around Mae Jo university...

Those rotating weekly markets around Sansai offer another option...

CB

IS Baby Shop, a good mix of quality and price. If something looks expensive, try the next aisle where you'll find the local made one.

Toys R Us, not much baby stuff, mothercare a dying shop in the UK, overpriced here. Big C and Lotus poor quality, Robinsons and Central don't carry the local options, the shop at Ruam Chok opens when the owners can be bothered......

IS Baby Shop, the only place I go to now.

There is a shop which in Chang Pheuak sells used baby equipment. They have loads of strollers, many of them imported, as well as just about anything else you could think of - toys, books, car seats, high chairs, slings, baby carriers, etc. Last month we bought a used Combi stroller, in very good condition, for about a third the price of same-brand models in Robinson. It's worth a look. If you go on Chang Pheuak Soi 2 from the Chiang Mai Stadium toward Chang Phueak Hospital it's in the first building on your right and up on the first floor. I'm not sure if the shop has a sign but there is baby equipment visible from the street on the balcony in front of the shop doors.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies on the child car seat. My son is 2 yrs old (11 kg) and the Hyundia H1 Van does not have isofix, anchors on the floor behind the seats nor a place for a tether to attach behind the seat. Very odd that a van which I'm sure other families have bought to transport all the kids wouldn't be able to fit even a booster seat correctly. All seats have lap belts and only the two front have shoulder straps but there is dual front airbags. Wondering if using a lap belt kind with anchor or isofix would be better than nothing or if anybody has any other suggestions. I could turn off airbag except then none could sit with and care for him as I would be driving when we take our long all day road trips.

There is a shop which in Chang Pheuak sells used baby equipment. They have loads of strollers, many of them imported, as well as just about anything else you could think of - toys, books, car seats, high chairs, slings, baby carriers, etc. Last month we bought a used Combi stroller, in very good condition, for about a third the price of same-brand models in Robinson. It's worth a look. If you go on Chang Pheuak Soi 2 from the Chiang Mai Stadium toward Chang Phueak Hospital it's in the first building on your right and up on the first floor. I'm not sure if the shop has a sign but there is baby equipment visible from the street on the balcony in front of the shop doors.

Thanks for your info. I checked on the google map and found the name, the website is www.baby2hand.pantown.com. Try to have a look.

Thanks for the replies on the child car seat. My son is 2 yrs old (11 kg) and the Hyundia H1 Van does not have isofix, anchors on the floor behind the seats nor a place for a tether to attach behind the seat. Very odd that a van which I'm sure other families have bought to transport all the kids wouldn't be able to fit even a booster seat correctly. All seats have lap belts and only the two front have shoulder straps but there is dual front airbags. Wondering if using a lap belt kind with anchor or isofix would be better than nothing or if anybody has any other suggestions. I could turn off airbag except then none could sit with and care for him as I would be driving when we take our long all day road trips.

Are you sure there is no place to attach a belt going from the rear of the child seat to the floor? Usually one can fit them around something, either under the seats in front, or on the sides. I.e., it is not designated anchors, just something solid. If not, then I do not know of anything other than the Akta Graco duologic I mentioned previously (though there may be others I do not know about of course), which is very unusual among the top brands in not requiring this. I of course think that seat is not a bad choice, and bought it due to the ratings from crash-tests, which was the best or amongst the best for a non-isofix seat in that weight group. Above 18 kg there are a lot more choices. If you want to try and see if it is usable in your car, you are welcome to send me a pm.

Btw, rear facing seats can be used much longer than up to two years. My oldest daughter is soon 6, and still sitting in her rear facing seat, which is speced up to 25 kg. My younger daughter will inherit that seat when she turns around 4 I suspect, as the Aktra Graco is speced up to 18 kg.

Thanks for your info. I checked on the google map and found the name, the website is www.baby2hand.pantown.com. Try to have a look.

Thanks for this website. Yes, that's the place. The second link on the left side column shows the outside of the store and there are lots of photos of the store's contents including lots of good quality car seats of various brands. They also have a lot of equipment which can be rented from car seats to strollers, breast milk pumps, sterilisers, toys, games and party clothes. They will also buy used things or sell them for you on consignment. It's a valuable alternative to the more expensive places like IS and the malls especially for items which are only used by kids for a limited time anyway.

if you can search in Thai, just pop the search in google. there are dozens and dozens of imported, high-quality car seats for sale in Bangkok. some have been barely used. some of the best brands are made in Japan and can be found for a little as 8,000 Bath + post. they would cost as much as 18-20,000 new. i only know this because my wife is in the business of importing/exporting children's accessories and i see her buying them all the time. she said the shop in Chang Phueak sells over-priced names that are not the best brands. some are complete junk.

Thanks for the info but I just left the Chang Klang shop with a used but new looking child seat installed for 5000 bht with a discount (not sure how much). It fit my lap belt only seat and can be used front facing with an airbag if I want to use with the three point seatbelt in front. It's pretty secure and will reinforce with a strap. Now does anyone know where to buy a strong strap maybe with a rachet style fastener?

• 1 month later...

For some expensive items it's also worth checking out all the Chiang Mai second hand Facebook pages, putting up a 'Wanted' post if needed. (Things like quality strollers and car child seats.)

And for some things consider if you need a dedicated thing at all; for example rice cookers with steaming basket make excellent bottle steamers. wink.png

All true, and only thing I can add is, possible this large baby store you mention (I.S. Kids), is next door to a 7 11, and may have a larger and or wider selection of things. We have shopped there many times.