High season update

paddyjenkins

The beach chairs at Jomtien are far less crowded than 2-3 weeks ago. Much easier to catch a baht bus going into town. Restaurants less crowded. All good news for us residents but not so good if you are business owner.

• Like 2

Been noticing the same thing this week. Suddenly, you can enter major roads from side streets without too much bother and my rear-view mirrors are showing little or no traffic. Today, Tukcom wasn't crawling with shoppers and Pattaya Tai was a breeze.

• Like 1

Excellent news, but wont there be a fresh influx of tourists for Songkran ? I've timed my own arrival in the hope that everything - religious festivals, the northern Winter etc - will be a non-issue. Hope springs eternal ;)

Songkran complicates matters....all these so called cultural and religious events are a real obstacle course and i am sure mostly just for commercial purposes, to suck in more gawping tourists...but i cant wait another 5 weeks...

Is this not a day to day thing until about May1?

That is when i notice the big change.

Of course you could be referring to 'peak season.'

High season is around Nov 1 to may 1 in pattaya.

Peak i am not sure about dec-feb?

I get them confused and find peak harder to notice.

Is this not a day to day thing until about May1?

That is when i notice the big change.

Of course you could be referring to 'peak season.'

High season is around Nov 1 to may 1 in pattaya.

Peak i am not sure about dec-feb?

I get them confused and find peak harder to notice.

I havent seen the horde since Feb, 2012, but it was something to behold then. Depending on which blog you read, Thailand's peak tourist season seems to have been hit-and-miss since the 2012 high season, but central Pattaya has something I've rarely seen on lower Suk : an endless stream of gawkers with no particular interest in setting foot in anything other than a restaurant. Pattaya really only starts to get into gear at midnight, IMO, when many of those folk are heading back to their hotels for the night - I cant say I'll miss them.

If I get to Patts ~1 May and head back to the airport by May 23, it should be perfect: back to Penang before the wet season to plan my July trip to Seoul, HK and Tokyo. It's a tough life, but some poor devil has to do it. :D

Tuesday, May 1 2013 – Labour Day – Bars Open

Sunday, May 5 2013 - Coronation Day – Bars Open

Monday, May 6 2013 - Coronation Day Substitution – Bars Open

Friday, May 24 2013 - Visakha Bucha Day – Bars Closed

I was quite surprised how thin the traffic was today along 2nd Road and Beach road. I rode the circuit twice today, once at late afternoon, and once at about 9pm. It was the best traffic flow I can remember for years.

Jomtien Beach was heaving this weekend, mainly with Thais. Getting to and from the seafood restauants at the end of the beach was a nightmare (I live there). And god forbid you wanting to drive a car from the beach to Sukhumvit on Sunday afternoon, it was gridlock (99% of the cars were registered in BKK). But it is like that most weekends, season or no season.

Jomtien Beach was heaving this weekend, mainly with Thais. Getting to and from the seafood restauants at the end of the beach was a nightmare (I live there). And god forbid you wanting to drive a car from the beach to Sukhumvit on Sunday afternoon, it was gridlock (99% of the cars were registered in BKK). But it is like that most weekends, season or no season.

What's the attraction...both the beach and the seafood is crap so I don't get it. Why not just stop in Bangsaen if they're looking for a beach to lounge in...or do all the Thai guys like to oggle the white-skinnes Russian lasses?

Politics having an effect on tourism?

Travelers plan their holidays months ahead and I'll bet the Bangkok Shutdown did it's damage.

Folks that should be here now, went elsewhere.

Very quiet around here I'd say. (except weekenders from Bangkok.)

What's the attraction...both the beach and the seafood is crap so I don't get it. Why not just stop in Bangsaen if they're looking for a beach to lounge in...or do all the Thai guys like to oggle the white-skinnes Russian lasses?

Yes, many Thais do enjoy "The farang circus" here in Jomtien and Bangsaen is crowded, the beach is dirty and the place is boring.

Plus they prefer Cental Festival to Lamtong shopping Mall.