Yingluck says she feels sorry for the scrapping of infrastructure mega projects

webfact

PM says she feels sorry for the scrapping of infrastructure mega projects

yingluck-10-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said today (Wednesday) that she felt sorry that the Constitution Court ruled the two trillion baht borrowing bill unconstitutional because they would mean the lost opportunity for Thailand to develop its infrastructure in order to maintain its competitiveness among countries in the region.

The court ruled by 8:0 votes the borrowing bill unconstitutional in accordance with Article 169 (first paragraph) and Article 170 of the Constitution. It also ruled by 6:2 votes that the drafting process of the bill was unconstitutional.

The bill will authorize the Finance Ministry to seek off-budget loan amounting to two trillion baht to development infrastructure mega projects which include high-speed trains from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Bangkok to Nong Khai and Bangkok to Songkhla, dual-track trains, electric trains in Bangkok and road expansion.

The prime minister said her government had tried its best to see the country move forward and to remain competitive by introducing the infrastructure development mega projects as it had promised in the policy statement to the parliament.

She noted that Thailand’s infrastructures were not as good as those in several countries in the region and, therefore, they need to be upgraded so Thailand can remain as the transportation and investment hub of the region.

The prime minister said she hoped the next government should carry on with the development in infrastructures “because this is the opportunity of everyone not any government in particular”.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-says-feels-sorry-scrapping-infrastructure-mega-projects/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-12

It was suggested to me recently that the Purple Line mass transit is going to be further delayed because the interim government can't sign contracts for the rolling stock. If so, that's disappointing.

So why not put the loan bill through the normal Parliamentary process?

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific

because it was never intended for infrastructure so it needed to be off budget meaning they could use the money for anything they liked for e.g. replacing the 800 billion they stole from the rice scheme and paying the farmers, it also seems the first car scheme has money missing also - what next

All they had to do was process the loan proposal with openness transparency and proper budgetary responsibility and it wouldn't have been an issue but then that would have restricted it's flexibility and made it useless for it's true intended purpose

Anyone involved in this deception should be jailed

I think this should include the senate. They completely failed in their role. Completely and utterly.

• Like 1

It was suggested to me recently that the Purple Line mass transit is going to be further delayed because the interim government can't sign contracts for the rolling stock. If so, that's disappointing.

normally speaking the money needed should have been reserved when the project was auctioned off. If there's no money now, there has been some very sloppy budget management.

• Like 1

Before thinking of high speed trains. Fix the simple things. Education, road deaths, Health, But no big payoffs for these! So everything stays the same.

Thai governments have budgeted a lot for education. The money just doesn't seem to flow downhill far enough.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

because it was never intended for infrastructure so it needed to be off budget meaning they could use the money for anything they liked for e.g. replacing the 800 billion they stole from the rice scheme and paying the farmers, it also seems the first car scheme has money missing also - what next

All they had to do was process the loan proposal with openness transparency and proper budgetary responsibility and it wouldn't have been an issue but then that would have restricted it's flexibility and made it useless for it's true intended purpose

I think this should include the senate. They completely failed in their role. Completely and utterly.

Well a certain portion of the Senate anyway..... 'the red portion'.

Edited by PepperMe

My understanding the Purple line is being built by MRT, luckily nothing to do with PT

• Like 1

Before thinking of high speed trains. Fix the simple things. Education, road deaths, Health, But no big payoffs for these! So everything stays the same.

Thai governments have budgeted a lot for education. The money just doesn't seem to flow downhill far enough.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Correct, it defies gravity and flows up hill. Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

Well I'd have to agree on that one.

• Like 2

Perhaps Yingluck can save her regret for how she has governed.

As all of her staple policies have failed, the dent thing to do is to resign. Still think she'll flee the country in tears very soon though.

Big Bruv is not going to be happy.

• Like 2

Well I'd have to agree on that one.

Yep so do I.

The voted senators should be jailed for supporting this? An appointed senator didn't agree with it and this is further ratifies my argument for an appointed senate being crucial to ensure democracy is represented in the Thai governmental framework all the way to the senate.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

She noted that Thailand’s infrastructures were not as good as those in several countries in the region and, therefore, they need to be upgraded so Thailand can remain as the transportation and investment hub of the region.

How does she mean "remain"?

• Like 1