Is thailand comparable to england for food costs

2008bangkok

You can not compare the UK shopping basket with a Thai food bill. Unless you are eating typical british food while in Thailand. What we are finding is that to eat Thai cost more here in the UK compared to Thailand but then again we don't eat so much meat when we have Thai food, so its cheaper than eating a whole chicken or a steak. Guess it depends on what you eat and where.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are loads of bakery's in thailand, also the thai like to eat bread. The breads are different though, you can eat them straight away, they baked the fillings into the bread allready.

But to answer the question, yes it is cheaper in the UK.

On the market i bought a big carrot last week, 20 baht. In the Royal Project shop i can buy 3-4 organic carrots for that price.

On the market you have no idea what carrot you get or what is sprayed or done with it, the organic one tastes much better as well.

Thai don't eat much vegetables. They also eat meat from the markets, go have a look there yourself to see the conditions. Many restaurants also buy their ingredients on those local markets. They might be contaminated with formalin though.

Thais "don't eat much vegetables"? Where do you get that idea from?

• Like 1

It really depends upon where you shop. Tesco's/Lotus is about the same as in the UK for those foods that are not 'traditionally Thai' or that the Thais want to buy. They even carry items like Swiss cheeses and smoked salmon which are pricier than back home for the most part. But then again this is a big chain store and they can sort of charge what the market will allow given their demographics. If you shop at local markets, the prices will go down especially with regards to 'local foods'. Places like Bid C and my local supermarket (Hong Long in Mae Sot) are somewhere in the middle of all of this. So, as always, it is where you shop that will be the factor. However, on the whole.... things here are cheaper for the most part.

Do you really think there is a guy pricing Lotus products based on how much mark up he thinks a Farang in Thailand will pay?

He said 1500 Baht a day with 7 persons. That is a little bit more than 210 Baht a day or 30 per person. Your examples are for one meal and why is rice and veggies free?

Do you believe Mama noodles or khaow man gai is proper healthy food? And where do you live that rice costs 5Baht (here near CM it is 10 in the fresh market)? No fruits no sweets that is existing but not living.

Rice is from the family farm and free. Vegetables are from the year round garden across the street and almost free.

The only thing we pay for is chicken, fish and pork. Mama noodles are a starch so yes when mixed with vegetables and protein they are fine. Cow men gai is rice and chicken and soup with root vegetables in the soup. It's fine. What is a hamburger or fish and chips? For four people for one day I would spend 80 baht for a chicken and the rest is close to free. Rice porridge for breakfast. Pork soup with noodles and spinach for lunch. Roast chicken with rice and vegetables for dinner. My cost less than 200 baht for 4 people. Good balanced meals.

Rice noodles soaked for a few minutes in hot water: 5 Baht. Boned out chicken thigh: 10 Baht. Couple of hands full of fresh vegetables: free mostly. Small amount of garlic and ginger: Free mostly. Couple of slugs of oyster sauce and or Soy, fish sauce. 3-4 Baht? Half a lime and a couple of chillies: Free. Tiny amount of oil for stir frying: 2-3 Baht? 22 Baht all in and half that for a vegetable only stir fry. Healthy and balanced lunch for one.

Where can I get all that free food? I have to pay for my food.

You compare prices eith UK. And then you say it's free here!! Yes sure wink.png

Depends where you live obviously. In a rural community people just plant stuff and let it grow but you will not find that in the city.

Spuds are only around 30 Baht a kilo which is around the same price I pay for good spuds in the UK.

Generally around 65p a kilo.

Good point. Could be that I buy my plain Jane commodity spuds in bulk back home- 10 or 20 lb bags, and have found nowhere here that I can buy bulk spuds. (Edit: Though this next post #79 is closer to my recollection at 50-60 baht per kg)

FYI, retail price of 10lb bag of russet spuds in the weekly ads in the USA is about $0.31 per pound. Can you imagine a Thai agency actually publishing this kind of stuff...

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvwretail.pdf

Since I don't get home often, it's interesting to see what fruit and veggie prices are doing back there...

Bought some the other day at the local market at 28 Baht a kilo which is about as low as it gets and the local Tesco (Lamai, Samui) have them most of the time at 38 Baht.

Yes maybe i sound like a spoiled brat but hey i'm a farang and was raised with good food. Pizzacompany is great though (superdeluxe pizza 2 for the price of 1). Good hamburgers, Burger king and MOS-burger.

Sorry, but this "good food" quote tickled me.

We all have the internet. Just go to any of the UK/or any other countrys' supermarket online shopping sites and compare away.

I was raised by a mother that did most of her shopping from the markets or from a proper greengrocers, before supermarkets took off in the UK. We also bought food directly from the local farmers and generally ate food that was in season. Now, you can eat what you want, when you want but even though everything looks good, is it really? Not for me, the fruit and vegatables taste bland and a lot are grown indoors using artificial light, heating and chemical nutrients. I wouldn't trust western food producers now as far as I could throw them. Meat products are bulked out by injecting water, the animals are fed all kinds of concoctions, living conditions are atrocious all in the name of keeping prices down for the customer and maximising profits for the supermarkets. To be fair to the producers they are held to ransom by these supermarkets, so they try every trick in the book to earn a crust.

One of the most striking things I have observed since living here is I have not seen 1 child with an asthma inhaler, never hear of ADHD, autism etc (does it exist)? Could it be related to diet?

I shop maybe once a month in MAKRO for my bulk purchases as I have a freezer, but now buy very little in the way of western food. Just tend to buy their bread, fillet pork, chicken breast meat, fish, pedigree dog food (for the dogs) and other non food items. My TGF really is an excellent cook and even though she cooks Thai food, she only cooks restaurant style food which is truly delicious. No Plaa Raa in our house thank you!

We are lucky that there are 3 fresh food markets per week within 5km of our house. We get there early, buy the best freshest food possible, before the Thais start touching and sqeezing everything to death. No strange chemical smells or taste, everything washed and soaked in salty water then rinsed with fresh water before consumption. I grow my own different varieties of chillies, tomatoes, melons etc. We spend less than 2000THB/week for a family of 4 to eat very well.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pizza company is okay yes,but i always find the thais mostly put on too much tomato paste,as compared to an italian pizza,and then they give you like 10 satchets of ketchup,what's that all about,also i agree with you on the asthma and alergies,i live in the country and diet i am sure plays a part,but also the fact that it is mostly safe to let the kids run off and play,get dirty,swim in the klong or river,not wrapped in cotton wool,or scared they will be seized by some pervert like in the west,but sure diet would play a large part,as i understand allergies in kids are really a western thing.

And judging by some of the little fatties I am now starting to see, coming to Thailand soon I fear.

100bt a day .... lol , that's not enough to feed the dog. I bet that's all great quality stuff bought from Lamdin market coverd in free shit from a host of 1000 flies. Jesus Christ , cheapy charlie or what ... lol

It's called knowledge my friend but it also depends on where you live, how long you have lived there and whether you have made friends/ become part of the community.

I live on Samui so seafood is obviously cheap because it's local but rice is not. 7-800g red snapper straight of the boat down in the fisherman village some 2km to the south of me is 40-50 Baht. Get down the local market meat section at 4:30am and they will kill and pluck a chicken of your choice for 60-70 baht.

Chicken and chips: An entire roast chicken (70 Baht) along with a kilo of chips (30 Baht) is more than I can eat in a day. Plus the cost of salt and pepper which I have to pay for along with a little oil.

• Like 1

JPM brand Thai sausages. 3 flavours, spicy, garlic, lemongrass. 10 for 105THB. 30 size 0 (big) chicken eggs or duck for 130THB. That's a delicious 4 egg sliced sausage omelette for 30THB. Jubbly.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thais don't drink much beer because it can't be made here by the family. It's too hot.

its not to hot to make beer

Yes it is.

For centuries, brewing was a seasonal activity. Beer was brewed in the colder months and stored in caves. But the fermenters were empty throughout the summer because brewers could not control their fermentation temperatures.

https://byo.com/stories/item/1084-make-me-sweat-cool-tips-for-hot-weather-brewing

Sorry if this site was already posted ( I did not read all 7 pages )

but it is a pretty good one

It lists some basics & can be shown in any currency & many locations

Here is one of Bangkok vs Worcester, United Kingdom using GBP

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&city1=Bangkok&country2=United+Kingdom&city2=Worcester&displayCurrency=GBP

Edited by mania

My food costs here (live alone) work out at roughly 100 Baht a day though I do get the occasional hit every so often with things like olive oil and tomato paste. I tend to eat a lot of fish which is very cheap on Samui as is duck and chicken, pork not so much. When I go to the UK and stay with my sister's family (3 people) I buy pretty much all the food and pretty much cook every meal. Cost would be in the region of 200 bucks a week.

100bt a day .... lol , that's not enough to feed the dog. I bet that's all great quality stuff bought from Lamdin market coverd in free shit from a host of 1000 flies. Jesus Christ , cheapy charlie or what ... lol

What a tool.

100B a day is plenty for a single, five years ago was my budget for 4 not counting the milk.

Yes shopping in the wet market and cooking at home - which was the topic.

Healthier too.

Of course if you want to spend more you're free to, but no need.

I think the OP question's been well answered now.

Thais don't drink much beer because it can't be made here by the family. It's too hot.

Yes it is.

For centuries, brewing was a seasonal activity. Beer was brewed in the colder months and stored in caves. But the fermenters were empty throughout the summer because brewers could not control their fermentation temperatures.

https://byo.com/stories/item/1084-make-me-sweat-cool-tips-for-hot-weather-brewing

well i must be a genius,as i brew beer in the tropics the temperature can be controlled by using ice if need to but i have never found the need,lager is brewed at a lower temp ale at higher it takes 3 days to ferment from wort then about 2or 3days to make sure it has finished then bulk prime,bottle three weeks drink.

Yes it is.

well i must be a genius,as i brew beer in the tropics the temperature can be controlled by using ice if need to but i have never found the need,lager is brewed at a lower temp ale at higher it takes 3 days to ferment from wort then about 2or 3days to make sure it has finished then bulk prime,bottle three weeks drink.

They did not have ice when Thailand formed it's drinking habits. They didn't have refrigeration

or electricity either.

Let's try it this way - my household of 7 gets by on under B1,500 per week.

That's not sweets, snacks or fizzy drinks or even fruit juice, just wet-market fruit & veg, very low on animal protein other than eggs, lots of rice of course (25 kg couple times a month) supplemented by local street market for dry goods.

The equivalent in the US - assuming a location with decent stores not too far away - is at least USD $150 a week, food stamps will cover much more than that, but few poor Americans actually cook many meals, mostly eat factory-prepared junk food.

So any poor people from the UK with experience able to contribute a ballpark comparison?

My food costs here (live alone) work out at roughly 100 Baht a day though I do get the occasional hit every so often with things like olive oil and tomato paste. I tend to eat a lot of fish which is very cheap on Samui as is duck and chicken, pork not so much. When I go to the UK and stay with my sister's family (3 people) I buy pretty much all the food and pretty much cook every meal. Cost would be in the region of 200 bucks a week.

One man knows something about Thailand the other nothing. If you go to two markets and one has no flies the man who knows Thailand knows pesticides have been sprayed on all the food on one market.

I wouldn't say he knew nothing , i was just saying if he eats for 100bt a day he eats existance food.

Come to think of it i've never seen one of these markets without hoards of flies on everything. Maybe you go to the posh ones but the complete disregard of hygiene turns my stomach.

Personally i'll stick to the imported stuff. New Zealand Lamb & Fillet Steak , King Crab and all the other goodies i can get from Villamart , Makro , etc. If i buy local fish i buy it straight off the boat still alive.

Each to his own i guess !!!

What a tool.

100B a day is plenty for a single, five years ago was my budget for 4 not counting the milk.

Yes shopping in the wet market and cooking at home - which was the topic.

Healthier too.

Of course if you want to spend more you're free to, but no need.

I think the OP question's been well answered now.

Even eating so called western food is damn cheap if you know how to do it. All this talk about food is making my stomach grumble so I've taken a leg of chicken out the freezer. I'll pan roast it along with (partially steamed) potatoes for roasties, roast garlic, pumpkin, handful of those little red shallots and use the juices to make a gravy by adding a teaspoon of tempura flour to thicken. Bit of steamed cabbage, carrot and long beans to go with it. Doesn't get more western than a roast dinner! Hard to judge total cost but certainly well under 50 Baht.

Yes it is.

They did not have ice when Thailand formed it's drinking habits. They didn't have refrigeration

or electricity either.

ok you win but it is still not to hot to brew beer

• Like 1

I wouldn't say he knew nothing , i was just saying if he eats for 100bt a day he eats existance food.

Come to think of it i've never seen one of these markets without hoards of flies on everything. Maybe you go to the posh ones but the complete disregard of hygiene turns my stomach.

Personally i'll stick to the imported stuff. New Zealand Lamb & Fillet Steak , King Crab and all the other goodies i can get from Villamart , Makro , etc. If i buy local fish i buy it straight off the boat still alive.

Each to his own i guess !!!

lol

You can keep your frozen stuff, each to their own.

Slaughter to order chicken (60-70 Baht) and duck (100 Baht). One pig each day is killed around 4am, butchered and all sold by mid morning. Fish, seafood etc. straight off the boat but have to be there at dawn. Existence food lol, it's called being smart in order to not waste money.

It's called knowledge my friend but it also depends on where you live, how long you have lived there and whether you have made friends/ become part of the community.

I live on Samui so seafood is obviously cheap because it's local but rice is not. 7-800g red snapper straight of the boat down in the fisherman village some 2km to the south of me is 40-50 Baht. Get down the local market meat section at 4:30am and they will kill and pluck a chicken of your choice for 60-70 baht.

Chicken and chips: An entire roast chicken (70 Baht) along with a kilo of chips (30 Baht) is more than I can eat in a day. Plus the cost of salt and pepper which I have to pay for along with a little oil.

Sure but i like to eat 3 - 4 times a day and don't like the same stuff on my plate for every meal.

Bacon n eggs for breakfast , maybe a crab / prawn salad for lunch , rack of lamb or steak for dinner followed by a few French cheeses and foie gras with French bread for supper.

I cure my own bacon and hams , make my own curries and soups and the occasional salt beef when i can get a decent piece of brisket.

I certainly couldn't live on 100bt a day for food.

• Like 1

It really depends upon where you shop. Tesco's/Lotus is about the same as in the UK for those foods that are not 'traditionally Thai' or that the Thais want to buy. They even carry items like Swiss cheeses and smoked salmon which are pricier than back home for the most part. But then again this is a big chain store and they can sort of charge what the market will allow given their demographics. If you shop at local markets, the prices will go down especially with regards to 'local foods'. Places like Bid C and my local supermarket (Hong Long in Mae Sot) are somewhere in the middle of all of this. So, as always, it is where you shop that will be the factor. However, on the whole.... things here are cheaper for the most part.

Do you really think there is a guy pricing Lotus products based on how much mark up he thinks a Farang in Thailand will pay?

Yes... I know him or rather them personally. I have been asked to give my opinions on merchandise that they think would do well here.

It is all about demographics and what can be collected (Bht) from shoppers, foreign and local based upon their shopping performance (do you have a Tesco's/Lotus card? That is how they keep track). Besides it is not just Farangs' that are tracked but rather, and more importantly, what the Thais are willing to buy or can be enticed to try/buy. Using that data from those free cards and general observations by staff, the individual store and therefore the chain can tailor make their ordering process to reflect the desires of the customer.

We have 2 Tesco/Lotus stores herein Mae Sot. One large and one smaller. Each carry roughly the same merchandise, but the smaller one is far more geared to the Thai shoppers while the larger offers a much more diverse range of products from not only Thailand but also the EU and the US. They even offer a nice range of Swiss products (cheese for the most part not just the Knorr line of soup mixes and sauces). Now who the hell eats cheese and is Thai in these here parts? Well there seems to be enough Farangs to make the offer worthwhile.

The stores are in the business of making money and offering their customers a place where they will be able top find what they want/need as easily as possible and at a price that they will accept. So it is down to the marketing boys and girls to figure out what will sell and how much of a mark up the market place can handle and/or accept. Business 1-0-1.

• Like 1

Yes... I know him or rather them personally. I have been asked to give my opinions on merchandise that they think would do well here.

It is all about demographics and what can be collected (Bht) from shoppers, foreign and local based upon their shopping performance (do you have a Tesco's/Lotus card? That is how they keep track). Besides it is not just Farangs' that are tracked but rather, and more importantly, what the Thais are willing to buy or can be enticed to try/buy. Using that data from those free cards and general observations by staff, the individual store and therefore the chain can tailor make their ordering process to reflect the desires of the customer.

We have 2 Tesco/Lotus stores herein Mae Sot. One large and one smaller. Each carry roughly the same merchandise, but the smaller one is far more geared to the Thai shoppers while the larger offers a much more diverse range of products from not only Thailand but also the EU and the US. They even offer a nice range of Swiss products (cheese for the most part not just the Knorr line of soup mixes and sauces). Now who the hell eats cheese and is Thai in these here parts? Well there seems to be enough Farangs to make the offer worthwhile.

The stores are in the business of making money and offering their customers a place where they will be able top find what they want/need as easily as possible and at a price that they will accept. So it is down to the marketing boys and girls to figure out what will sell and how much of a mark up the market place can handle and/or accept. Business 1-0-1.

Each Lotus makes it's own prices?

Bacon n eggs for breakfast , maybe a crab / prawn salad for lunch , rack of lamb or steak for dinner followed by a few French cheeses and foie gras with French bread for supper.

1000 Baht I imagine.

I don't know but i wouldn't say 1000bt a day. At a guess i probably spend 15,000bt a month on my food. I rarely eat Thai food because i don't like it. The missis can cook superb western meals and even does a great Yorkshire Pudding.

I try to vary it and tend to make things like casseroles in a huge slow cooker and freeze whatevers left.

I have a Turkey to cook on Sunday ,the leftovers will go into a soup. yes it is frozen but ...

I'm just about to have some home cured ham with cheeses and pickles with a bottle of St Emillion while i watch the football. The price of wine here is outrageous.

1000 Baht I imagine.

I don't know but i wouldn't say 1000bt a day. At a guess i probably spend 15,000bt a month on my food. I rarely eat Thai food because i don't like it. The missis can cook superb western meals and even does a great Yorkshire Pudding.

I try to vary it and tend to make things like casseroles in a huge slow cooker and freeze whatevers left.

I have a Turkey to cook on Sunday ,the leftovers will go into a soup. yes it is frozen but ...

I'm just about to have some home cured ham with cheeses and pickles with a bottle of St Emillion while i watch the football. The price of wine here is outrageous.

Some people can adapt to other cultures and others can't. I exposed my children to other languages and cultures from an early age and as a result they are at home in many different countries and enjoy many different cuisines.

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou

1000 Baht I imagine.

Some people can adapt to other cultures and others can't. I exposed my children to other languages and cultures from an early age and as a result they are at home in many different countries and enjoy many different cuisines.

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou

Oh , i see. I didn't come for the culture or the cuisine , i came for the easy available fluff like most geezers !!!

Edited by nanapong

Oh , i see. I didn't come for the culture or the cuisine , i came for the easy available fluff like most geezers !!!

I think it is obvious that your attitude towards the food will continue in all or most other areas of Thailand.

But I could be wrong. Are you saying you came to Thailand for the culture?

I think it is obvious that your attitude towards the food will continue in all or most other areas of Thailand.

But I could be wrong. Are you saying you came to Thailand for the culture?

Well i guess you're right. After living here 12 years , most on Samui i've never took to the Thai food or spent my time going round wet markets to see how cheap i can get pork , chicken and fish.

The culture , nah , not for me i'm afraid. I don't mix with the locals cos i don't like them and we have absolutely nothing in common.

I only came for the chicks and easy sex.

• Like 1

Amazing what people eat!!!

Down to Makro today...have fresh clams, squid tentacles, oysters, blue crabs. Can buy enough for the three of us for 2 days for less than 200B. Off to the frozen section...Ducks's tongues, NZ lamb, Pig's penis and other offal for soup. Again 2 days for 200B. Have to avoid the pig's heads which are 3 times the price of those in the UK and the brains missing, too. Vegetables and fruit ludicrously expensive..much cheaper in the UK......well all that is where we are!!