German Chancellor Merkel warns of massive damage as Russia masses forces

webfact

Merkel warns of massive damage as Russia masses forces
Stephen Brown

BERLIN: -- Showing no signs of backing down in its confrontation with the West, Russia has launched new military exercises near its border with Ukraine as the interim government in Kiev announced plans to raise 60,000 volunteers for a new National Guard force.

In Berlin, German Chancellor Angela Merkel gave a stark and emotional speech to her parliament warning of "massive damage" unless Russia changes course, while in eastern Ukraine a man died in fighting between rival protesters in the mainly Russian-speaking city of Donetsk.

Dr Merkel removed any suspicion that she might try to avoid a confrontation with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"Ladies and gentlemen, if Russia continues on its course of the past weeks, it will not only be a catastrophe for Ukraine," she said. "We, also as neighbours of Russia, would not only see it as a threat.

And it would not only change the European Union's relationship with Russia. No, this would also cause massive damage to Russia, economically and politically."

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/merkel-warns-of-massive-damage-as-russia-masses-forces-20140314-hvijp.html

smh.jpg
-- Sydney Morning Herald 2014-03-14

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope Poutine is clever enough to understand the situation , on the first day of the tension , the Russian stock exchange lost 60 billions dollars. And the rubbles was at his lowest .... Gaz and oil doesnt make the country more efficient , see what happen in Venezuela , lots of oil but empty supermarket....

Putin reminds me of Hitler. Hitler started by taking back Sudetenland (part of Czechoslovakia) and Austria, both territories that the German Reich has lost in the First World War in much the same way as Putin has taken land in Abzhazia, South Ossetia and Georgia and next the Crimea. In the 1930s, other world leaders allowed Hitler to take back Sudetenland and Austria, taking the attitude that it was just poor little Germany trying to get back land that they had (possibly unfairly) lost. In the same way, world leaders have allowed Putin to take whatever land he likes, but the Crimea seems to be a Poland moment. When Hitler tried to take back Poland, World War II broke out. Tolerance came to an end. I think Merkel is now saying that tolerance of Putin's actions have come to an end too.

Remember Hitler was also elected by the people. He was not a dictator proper. Again Putin is the same.

I don't generally like Hitler comparisions, those come too easy and are usually somewhat awkward.

However you see things, you're quite off on Austria. No "retaking" there, they joined the Reich by popular vote because it seemed such a good idea after loosing WW I and all the contemporary blood and honour theories. Please don't draw up comparisions with the Krim now, it's all totally different.

People have no clue what's going on, just like in Syria....

OK, not that I buy into this broadcast without many questions...the bottom line is that Russia is acting unilaterally against a recognized sovereign nation. As pointed out Russia is supported by China. If so, both are members of the UN Security Council and could have called for international observation of the escalating violence in the Crimea and Ukraine in general. If we are to thwart actions by whatever nation to destabilize, then multinational not unilateral action needs to be taken. Yes, there are many interests involved, including but not limited to Russia's political and economic interests.

• Like 1

Russia is protecting its citizens against an unconstitutional government of neo Nazi thugs.

Bravo Mr. Putin.

Thank you for confirm that, whatch my vid earlier. The worst part is we support it unknowingly. Regime change... Is the most fair statement maybe...
  • Like 2

The topic is about Angela Merkel

.....and TinoThailand writes

UNQUOTE

...so Angela Merkel has no clue what she was talking about ??????

The topic is about Angela Merkel

.....and TinoThailand writes

UNQUOTE

...so Angela Merkel has no clue what she was talking about ??????

I would not put her under common "people"... Let's try to keep it interesting shall we? Maybe we can create a guide with facts so people can choose for them self instead of playing "suck up".

Let's please stick a little closer to the topic of the OP.

Right! Well I can strongly backup why I think Merkel is playing in the dirty game. And I highly recommend watching the vid I posted.

Besides that I'm stunned with the hypocrites that were never against the illegal rape of Syria for example.

Russia is just responding far more closely... Let's not forget this is NOT just some economy story, there is more to it.

• Like 2

Now the ethnic Russians in East Ukraine are "attacked" ....preparing another glorious arrival first of disguised "self defense units" and then of course the Russian army itself ("training" is going on already..-

Next could be stirring up incidents within ethnic Russians of the Baltic States and then we are really again the cold war.

Do not misunderstand me, I am in favour of Russia taking complete control of Ukraine ....so that they face the debt situation rather than the EU countries.

I think most of you have no idea why Russia is doing what they are doing. I believe (from everything I have read and researched) that the EU and US are placing in power another puppet government so they can bring in more nuclear missiles to line Russia's borders.

If we recollect, back in the early 60's Russia pulled the same stunt. Russia positioned nuclear missiles in Cuba and that did not go over well with the USA. It about started WWIII! Now, the EU and US are lining the borders of Russia with nuclear missiles and we expect Russia not to do ANYTHING!?!?! Russia is doing what is best for his country and I would expect your country would do the very same thing.

• Like 2

Unless you think that a catapult is used to send nuclear missiles into Russia, I think there are a places for them, and some aren't very far away. Ukraine is way, way too unstable to be a safe place for weapons.

• Like 1

Putin reminds me of Hitler. Hitler started by taking back Sudetenland (part of Czechoslovakia) and Austria, both territories that the German Reich has lost in the First World War in much the same way as Putin has taken land in Abzhazia, South Ossetia and Georgia and next the Crimea. In the 1930s, other world leaders allowed Hitler to take back Sudetenland and Austria, taking the attitude that it was just poor little Germany trying to get back land that they had (possibly unfairly) lost. In the same way, world leaders have allowed Putin to take whatever land he likes, but the Crimea seems to be a Poland moment. When Hitler tried to take back Poland, World War II broke out. Tolerance came to an end. I think Merkel is now saying that tolerance of Putin's actions have come to an end too.

Remember Hitler was also elected by the people. He was not a dictator proper. Again Putin is the same.

So maybe soon we will see William Hague standing on the aircraft steps at London airport, waving a paper in the air, and announcing that he has brought a letter from Mr Putin, guaranteeing that Russia has no further territorial claims in Ukraine, now that the Crimea has been allowed to go back.

He can use the soundbite "Peace in our Time"

It's just ridiculous to compare Putin with Hitler. And Putin isn't Stalin either.

Things in Kiev and the crimea are not that simple as it seems.

EU and NATO are expanding to the east closer and closer to Russia; USA deploying nuclear missiles in Czechia and Poland.

Putin has to defend Russia's safety and interests. The aggression has been started by the West.

The new Ukrainian government is not legal. It hasn't been elected in a democratic manner. Many of the new government are

Nazis. (Svoboda fraction) Better compare them to Hitler and his followers

Next elections were due in 2015. EU & US couldn't wait that long.

About the crimea: Majority there are ethnic Russians. There will be a referendum to ask the people of the crimea if they want to

be with Russia or Ukrainia. No doubt they will vote for Russia.

They better try to solve the dispute in a peaceful way. Merkel should be the very last one to risk a big mouth on Russia.

I am somewhat tempted to compare her to old Adolf H.

Eurozhong, you may be well informed about history but you seem to close your eyes on the ongoing crisis.

• Like 2