IE Stopped Working

johnnort

Hello to all.

Although I do not ever use IE, preferring Firefox, I do like to have it there as a backup. In any case if it is there on the laptop it should be working. And there lays my problem. Sometimes, unprompted a window appears stating IE has stopped working. This progresses and I receive a second window saying A problem caused the program to stop. Windows will close the program and when a solution is found will notify me. A solution has never been found and IE does not close down with the same notification repeating itself even if I try to manually close the program. It is the same scenario if I attempt to open IE manually. This has been happening over the last couple of weeks. I use Windows 7 Home.

If the solution is to uninstall then reinstall IE, how is that done? I have been into programs in the control panel and the main file and cannot see where to uninstall.

Please do not reply and tell me I am better off without IE as I am aware of that. I also know I can use Chrome or a whole host of others as a backup. The fact of the matter is is that it is installed and I want it working.

Thanks guys.

In your case, I would first delete all the IE browser temporary files (Tools / Internet Options -> Browsing history -> [Delete] and check (at least): Temporary Internet files and website files, then [Delete]).

If it doesn't solve the problem, I would run Ccleaner ("cleaner" and "registry" options) and reboot the computer afterwards.

If the problem is not solved yet, I would run Advanced System Care (free edition): it's a good maintenance tool, but use its custom install option for not installing all the unnecessary other programs that are added by default if you don't "unselect" them. Once installed, you can run a full scan in the "Care" section with all its options selected (or with at least "Registry fix", "Junk Files Clean", "Malware Removal", "Privacy Sweep", "Vulnerability Fix", "Security Defense" selected). Repair all errors found and reboot the computer afterwards.

If you still encounter the same problem, then you may want to reinstall the latest version of IE. You can download it from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-11-worldwide-languages

I am not sure whether or not you can fully uninstall IE within Windows 7 (never tried myself), and I am not sure that it will be necessary in order to solve your problem, but apparently, you can "turn it off" here: Control Panel / Programs / Turn Windows features on or off

Hope this helps...

Oh, yes: your IE version is very likely considered as an update, therefor, if you have to uninstall it, it's probably from there: Control Panel / Programs / View installed updates

By the way, you might find the following webpage worth reading: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/internet-explorer-has-stopped-working-message/76fb744d-a7a0-4b67-91c5-a524c901af5a

Thank you to both Lostinisaan and GuyL. I actually used your link GuyL and with the recommendations held therein I accessed Control Panel - Internet Options - Advanced - and reset IE. should have known to have tried this route myself, but any way it seems to have cured the problem. Back to Firefox now! Thanks once again.

Thank you to both Lostinisaan and GuyL. I actually used your link GuyL and with the recommendations held therein I accessed Control Panel - Internet Options - Advanced - and reset IE. should have known to have tried this route myself, but any way it seems to have cured the problem. Back to Firefox now! Thanks once again.

Glad it solved your problem. Cheers!

All he did was type it into google. Try that next time.Just type the error in google.