!!

Expensive helmet necessary for slow riding?

Its a slow process Gewiloman.. i started out with a good helmet now i got all the other stuff inclusive foot protection too. This rider is on its way. I do wonder what it is about those kind of backpacks is it for back protection ?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is definitely not necessary to wear full gear when riding.

Feel free to ride stark nekked if you choose.

Its a choice and besides a helmet nothing is mandatory.

I wish a t shirt and flip flops would have the same protection as my riding gear it certainly is less of a hassle.

I wish a t shirt and flip flops would have the same protection as my riding gear it certainly is less of a hassle.

That would be cool!

It certainly is.. however its a trade off in case of an accident. I value my life so i take the hassle of putting on gear for granted.

• Like 1

It is definitely not necessary to wear full gear when riding.

Feel free to ride stark nekked if you choose.

Its a choice and besides a helmet nothing is mandatory.

Yeah I wish I had an invisible forcefield around me and 100 Trillion Dollars and was immortal and was El Rey Del Mundo!

Even full leathers, albeit perforated are doable in LOS. If you're acclimatized and bike fit, it only gets uncomfortable in heavy traffic.

I rode to Prachuab last week and it got a bit hot around Bangkok as the temperatures were higher than usual but nothing you can't handle. On the highways it's a breeze.

I've worn full gear so long that I feel naked if wearing less. I even hate riding without gloves. It feels unnatural.

But each to his own!

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Think same here. Feel naked and having less confidence if i ride at least without essential gear.

I feel comfy and my leathers are not even perforated. Highway i feel nothing even hot season. I am fine at bangkok traffic as well but dont prefer to wear full leathers for a city ride.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Since I didn't know much about the ECE standard, I read this.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-2010/nolan-helmets/dot-vs-ece-helmet-safety-standards.htm

Not sure if DOT, SNELL, or ECE is better now since the rules have changed since the last time I read up on SNELL.

Read it and try to decide for yourself.

Edited by ttakata
  • Like 1

Since I didn't know much about the ECE standard, I read this.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-2010/nolan-helmets/dot-vs-ece-helmet-safety-standards.htm

Not sure if DOT, SNELL, or ECE is better now since the rules have changed since the last time I read up on SNELL.

Read it and try to decide for yourself.

This should explain it for you. Personally I prefer to trust SNELL because it is a non-profit organization but as these guys explain fit is very important also. People have different head shapes so you need to try which manufacturer has the best fit for your head shape. I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't made by Bell, Shoei, Arai or AGV. Bell fits me best and it is the only helmet that has a Polaroid visor.

Best selection of helmets online is here:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok

• 1 month later...

Once a helmet meets a certain safety standard, you're basically paying for extra features (venting, internal sun-visors, etc), comfort, longevity (removable/replaceable pads), quality of components (the optical quality of a Shoei or Arai shield will be better than most other, cheaper helmets, for example), lighter weight, Bluetooth headset compatibility, and graphics.

A downside would be the fact you'll have to take extra precautions go keep it secure when you're off the bike- helmet theft is fairly prevalent in LOS (and elsewhere)- you sure can't leave it just hanging off your handlebar when you're in Tesco...

I feel that paying extra for the above features is worth it- your helmet basically dictates your riding environment- if it's uncomfortable or shoddy, it will negatively affect the experience.

That said, you should be fine with a certified Real helmet as far as safety is concerned.

Correct. Safety standards is what you are looking for. You can buy a good helmet for a good price if you do some research. I bought and old model HJC (I believe it is Q1 or something). For only 6,000THB and it has the same test results as my ARAI RX7-RR5 which costs 22,000THb or something.

Once a helmet meets a certain safety standard, you're basically paying for extra features (venting, internal sun-visors, etc), comfort, longevity (removable/replaceable pads), quality of components (the optical quality of a Shoei or Arai shield will be better than most other, cheaper helmets, for example), lighter weight, Bluetooth headset compatibility, and graphics.

A downside would be the fact you'll have to take extra precautions go keep it secure when you're off the bike- helmet theft is fairly prevalent in LOS (and elsewhere)- you sure can't leave it just hanging off your handlebar when you're in Tesco...

I feel that paying extra for the above features is worth it- your helmet basically dictates your riding environment- if it's uncomfortable or shoddy, it will negatively affect the experience.

That said, you should be fine with a certified Real helmet as far as safety is concerned.

Correct. Safety standards is what you are looking for. You can buy a good helmet for a good price if you do some research. I bought and old model HJC (I believe it is Q1 or something). For only 6,000THB and it has the same test results as my ARAI RX7-RR5 which costs 22,000THb or something.

which test?

any link?

thanks.

HJC has been closing out all its RPHA 10 Ben Spies logo helmets for the last month.

They have been priced around 8900 baht which is a lot cheaper than normal which I think was 14k

Folks like Kamix etc in BKK & ChangMoto in CM had them on sale...maybe still? Probably all HJC dealers

Meets or exceeds Snell & DOT. I have tried them on & they are quite nice

Review video etc at revzilla

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-10-ben-spies-iii-replica-helmet

Thai ad from Kamix

10301362_749105175111189_387789789293363

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

HJC has been closing out all its RPHA 10 Ben Spies logo helmets for the last month.

They have been priced around 8900 baht which is a lot cheaper than normal which I think was 14k

Folks like Kamix etc in BKK & ChangMoto in CM had them on sale...maybe still? Probably all HJC dealers

Meets or exceeds Snell & DOT. I have tried them on & they are quite nice

Review video etc at revzilla

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-10-ben-spies-iii-replica-helmet

Thai ad from Kamix

10301362_749105175111189_387789789293363

Paddock in Bangkok also has them on sale. You can find some great deals on HJC helmets there.
  • Like 1