Uk To Thailand With One Way Ticket. Generally, They Don't Ask?

greg.d

Hi, I've been here for almost a year now, had some great times etc, etc, etc.

Previously I bought a 1 year ticket from the uk.

Please could any of you very knowledgable (sorry but it's 01.10 in Tak and I've had three bottles of Leo Yai, so spelling is pants) people out there please tell me if they have ever asked for your plane ticket on arrival.

I don't think it's common procedure, but what do I know? :o:D

Many thanks in advance.....

Immigration isnt the problem, the airline is the problem.

Cheers for the response, what would be the best way to approach it? Show them a copy of an onward ticket (this would only be provisional, not booked)

Would appreciate your opinion.

If you mean on arrival in Bangkok by Thai Immigration then no and I have never heard anyone else being asked for it either.

However some airlines do not let you board without a return ticket within 30 days, a forward ticket out of the country within 30 days or a valid visa - tourist 60 day will do.

So you have 3 choices

1) Make sure the airline will let you board with a one way

Or what I would do

2) Get a tourist visa at a consulate or Embassy

3) By a cheap one way ticket on AirAsia out of the country or the like and print out the receipt then not use the ticket

Immigration isnt the problem, the airline is the problem.

Cheers for the response, what would be the best way to approach it? Show them a copy of an onward ticket (this would only be provisional, not booked)

Would appreciate your opinion.

I'm getting a multpiple entry visa, but if the ONLY way is to purchase an onward ticket I will do so.

Just wondering if anyone else on TV has accomplished the single ticket from the UK ?? Please let me know.

Thanks for the help BM.

PS

Thanks Prakanong, I think you've just answered my question.

Cheers people.

Sorry to be a pain here , but I have twice been scuppered by airlines in this situation.

I had a 60 day visa and a one way ticket , the airline(s) BA and Phillipine Air both made me buy an onward ticket. These events were about 4 years apart, it depends on the check-in person and how much of a jobsworth they are. I had to buy , on both occasions, a ticket from BKK-PNG, otherwise I would not have been allowed to board. The Visa cut no ice.

I'm sure many people have not had this situation , but I'm just saying it can happen so be aware, make sure you have sufficient funds to buy the onward ticket.

:o

ps I had not heard of anyone being turned away from Immigration at Don Muang without an onward/return ticket, the airline obviously are worried that they would have to foot the bill should it ever happen. A 60 day visa will not convince the airline that you will be let in because it does not indicate that you have means to return, otherwise you would have to have a return ticket to qualify for the visa ( their opinion ).

Edited by chonabot

Hi, just wanted to add my experience.

I've brought a one-way ticket to travel from the UK to Bangkok next week on Qatar Airlines. It was purchased through a leading UK travel website, and two days after I brought the ticket I got a phone call from the airline to confirm whether I have the required visa. I do, as it happens, have a Non-B and they were obviously fine with that. Perhaps they've had recent problems ?

Hope that might help someone.

Andy.

Something pops up on a check-in screen if you have a one-way ticket anywhere. I have been asked to show my 90/60 day visa in my passport a few times, not just in the U.K.

I am surprised if this is not enough; better to print out the Thai Embassy instructions; saying that a tourist visa is O.K. for a one-way ticket. Sometimes check-in staff really want to spoil your day, by being really evil.

That's because they are on a minimum wage, and the job is so boring. How would you like to check-in hundreds of holiday-makers every day for forty years?

Hi, just wanted to add my experience.

I've brought a one-way ticket to travel from the UK to Bangkok next week on Qatar Airlines. It was purchased through a leading UK travel website, and two days after I brought the ticket I got a phone call from the airline to confirm whether I have the required visa. I do, as it happens, have a Non-B and they were obviously fine with that. Perhaps they've had recent problems ?

Hope that might help someone.

Andy.

Cheers Andy... I'm doing the exact same in 3 weeks, but nobody has yet called re: visa, I have already done as someone else suggested and bought a flight out on Air Asia. I don't need a 60-day visa as I'll only be there a week. I think I'll check with Qatar air first thing Monday.

:o

Hey

I am a British Citizen presently in the USA for the past 5 years on busimness. I will be going to thailand next year to research for an Asia base and eventually open a Branch Office there.

I spoke this week with the Thai Consular General at the Embassy in Washington DC and they required me to mail them either a copy of a return ticket or the booking confirmation of a return ticket, before they would issue a Non Imm. B, 12 Month Multi Entry Visa.

As I am not going until next year, I will not be sending them anything until then, but that is the present situation here for the Issuance of that Visa.

It is obviously interpreted differently at different Offices throughout the world.

As it happens, I will probably be returning to the UK before my Thai trip and have been advised by someone on this forum that I can apply for the Visa, all by mail at the Consualr Office in Hull, will save me a trip to London.

Hope you have a great trip.

Regards

Peter