Doctor to help with drink problem

corkman

I've got a bit of a drink issue. I've raised this in this forum before and got many replies. I could endlessly debate with myself whether I am an alcoholic or whatever - and I know there are lots of help groups etc. - but I'd like to seek some professional help.

My good wife took me to a clinic at the big hospital in Bangna nearly a year ago. Thing is, the doctor didn't have great English and so my wife came in with me; I think that partially defeated the purpose.

So, I'd like to go see a professional. One that can both speak good English and understand an Expat. Maybe I need to go see a psychologist? I think maybe I have some deep seeded emotional issues that sends me off the deep end.

FYI - my problem is that when I start drinking I can't stop. I don't get urges to start. I have no dependence and could go weeks without drink. But once I set foot in the pub and start drinking then I cannot stop. I don't get abusive or violent, I never get into trouble (other than the wife complaining, understandably). I forget or lose all grasp of time and just go go go, and quite often I end up feeling very remourceful and emotional. That's not normal.

So - can anyone recommend a doctor / professional where I can have a one-on-one consultation; possibly leading to therapy or treatment? Generally speaking, paying is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Seeing a psychologist or counselor seems like an excellent idea and there are some very good Western ones in Thailand. Please see this pinned thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/90910-mental-health-resource-list/

A medical doctor will not be of much help unless you are in need of acute alcohol detox (though a thorough check-up to exclude liver damage etc might be wise).

Good luck!

• Like 2

A psychotherapist may be of use. You don't sound like you need a psychiatrist or MD.

A good therapist will tell you he/she can't fix your drink problem if you're an alcoholic. They can evaluate you for alcoholism if you're able to be 100% honest. There ARE many styles of alcoholism - sound like you're aware of that already. Best of luck!

• Like 1

I have to commend you for wanting to get help, that's a big step forward. As you already may know alcohol is no fun when it's being abused, in fact it can destroy many lives. I see your struggling with weather or not to identify yourself as an alcoholic or not, it's a tough step forward to acknowledge that alcohol maybe the central focus of your life, but is an important step. The fact you're raising the question leads me to believe that alcohol is a major interference in your life and seeking help won't fix the problem although it is a good first step. The truth is there is no doctor, or therapist that can help you as much as you can help yourself. It takes a support network and people around you that want to see you succeed. To be honest if you go in and pay a "professional" they'll "do their job" but may not fully understand the complexity of the issues; on the other hand if you seek guidance from an alcoholic that has been sober then your chances of understanding the problem and how to recover will be greater. Congrats on stepping out and getting help, don't quit trying to better yourself.

• Like 1