Hong Kong visa run/holiday trip, need advices from people who knows HK well. (Good area to stay)

mataleo

As HK lover, I can recommend to stay AWAY from Kowloon area. Why? You will pay pretty same money for shopping area stay. HK is HK and this is Island. 15k x 5 days = 3000 per day. For this money you can stay for example in Wanchai area. WiFi Hotel I stayed last year, no-hassle and right on the Lockhard Rd, where (surprise) you can find thai-style eateries like shops in Gateway Ekkamai and spend about 300 THB in HK money for good meal. Looking for Harbourview is also option, as recommended before IBIS (just steps from MTR). Do not forget to purchase MTR tourist pass cards, 1-2 rides by airport express and unlimited travel in MTR for 3 (actually 4 days). My first impression was great, because I booked day tour around city with dinner @ Avenue of Stars while watching Light Show. Strongly recommended, look @ internet "HK Day tours". I was sceptical but this is really good - Man Mo Temple, Victoria Peak, Repulse Bay, Stanley, Wanchai Ferry, dinner... What more? Big Buddha and Cable Car journey amazing.

Thai Consulate @ Admiralty MTR, if you come for visa they welcome you especially if you British citizen.

Thx

Is it Kawloon that expensive?

Cant find cheaper foods?

I dont want stay in area wheres quiet...

And not interested in thai foods but local stuff.

I was given web www.airbnb.com some good deals there 2500 can get me apartament in Kawloon.. TST..

I will have look on Wanchai..

mataleo

I like Kowloon area. You can get anywhere from there. Lots of small shops for eats. You can spend an entire day just walking around that area. Greyline does some very nice tours. Disney is fun for all ages.

Hi Mataleo,

Having lived in HK for many years, I would advise finding somewhere on the HK Island side...Central, Wanchai, Causeway Bay. If you're on the Kowloon side, remember that the MTR stops at midnight which may limit your social activities on the island side - it will cost over HK$120 for a taxi back to Kowloon. Take US or HK currency..... some shops and hotels do accept RMB - if you have THB, there is a Bangkok Bank Branch in Central for conversion at reasonable rates.

Really depends what you want to do socially - Lang Kwai Fong in Central has many bars and restaurants - good fun. Wanchai also has many bars and good live music....and lots of girls (maybe your gf won't be too impressed!)- but you will have a good time! Markets are mainly on the Kowloon side, there is also the Stanley Market on the south side of the island - take a bus, a really good ride. Go to the peak as well on the Peak Tram - do that during the week, not the weekend as its too crowded. Disneyland ok, Ocean Park better. Taxis are really good and relatively cheap.

Have fun!

I agree with this. I have stopped in HK for a few days each time I go to Thailand. It is a great city. The hotels are shockingly expensive, but everything else is ok. I usually stay on the Island, and love to walk the streets and find a little place with good food and not expensive at all. The ferry between the Island and Kowloon across the harbor is one of the best 2/3 USD ferry rides in the world.

• Like 1

A great option for the budget conscious is the YMCA in Kowloon (a block from the Star ferry). A beautiful space, with great facilities. They have shared rooms ~300 HK / night, as well as regular rooms. Also see Tripadvisor's reviews.

YMCA comes up to 7300HKD for double standard 5 nights. Thats 30 000THB.

Pass

I got Imperial hotel in TST for 15 000THB

I will look for it bit more before booking...

On airbnb.com found jail cell type room for 1500thb night not in mansio. But apartaments block in tst

not sure cuz no window and pretty small... Although cheap..

mataleo

City Garden Hotel

http://m.sino-hotels.com/hk/city-garden/en/

Harbour Plaza Hotel

http://m.harbour-plaza.com/Dining.aspx?hotelName=northpoint

Both in North Point

Take the MTR to Shau Kei Wan and get the #9 bus to Shek O. Spend the day on the beach, or hike the Dragon's Back, enjoy dinner at the "Shek O Chinese & Thailand Seafood Restaurant"

Or check with Lulu Lam at her coffee shop opposite (742 Shel O Village, +852-2809-4423) for a place to rent for a few nights. I've lived in Shek O since 1989 (though I'm not there right now) and you'll find no better place in Hong Kong, full stop. Enjoy

Thx for all help

I booked Hotel Silka Seaview from agoda.com

Was 14500 inc 10% service fee

It got good location and price was good compare to many others

It was like 2560 night

Got wifi and not far to sea front

Ppl coment many shops around and mrt.

I will need some info how we get from airport to that hotel by bus or mrt

Im landing after 7pm

From commemts theybgot some free shuttle bus stop i think A21 around hotel. Or if not free its 33HKD

Any info?

Thx

mataleo