Persistent Atm Comms. Failure -

Hi folks

I don't know if this is becoming a common problem but, lately, I often experience a 'Comms. Failure - Transaction Cannot be Processed' situation when trying to get cash from an ATM.

The problem is not restricted to any particular ATM but might be specific to Barclays, UK, accounts. I am in Pattaya so it might be a local comms. problem. It is not a problem with my debit card.

Right now, I have been unable to get cash from my Barclays UK account for two days. Inconvenient but, luckily, I have other options. Have emailed Barclays but not holding my breath for a reply.

Anyone else out there experiencing similar problems?

DM

DM

Yep, just went through that recently. My ATM card stopped working a couple of weeks ago with the comm failure message. First thought it was the particular ATM machine I was using but tried several different ones over a few days with no luck. Also an on-line order I placed was refused. Contacted my card company and they had put a block on it due to their security department seeing a suspicious use. I informed them that the purchase was valid and they immediately unblocked the card. Suspect card companies are getting more cautious about cards used overseas.

DM

Yep, just went through that recently. My ATM card stopped working a couple of weeks ago with the comm failure message. First thought it was the particular ATM machine I was using but tried several different ones over a few days with no luck. Also an on-line order I placed was refused. Contacted my card company and they had put a block on it due to their security department seeing a suspicious use. I informed them that the purchase was valid and they immediately unblocked the card. Suspect card companies are getting more cautious about cards used overseas.

Tywais

Interesting that this should appear as a 'comms. failure'. I don't think that this is the same problem though as I have experienced the failure on previous occasions but the next day everything is normal - therefore not a blocked card.

Perhaps they are relying on AIS for the comms? That would explain a lot!

DM

Interesting that this should appear as a 'comms. failure'. I don't think that this is the same problem though as I have experienced the failure on previous occasions but the next day everything is normal - therefore not a blocked card.

Perhaps they are relying on AIS for the comms? That would explain a lot!

DM

I agree about the comms failure message being strange and is why I didn't persue it sooner. In the past it would usually say to contact my card provider for more information but none of the messages said that. It was the on-line refusal of my card that convinced me there was something else wrong.

Just a guess.

It could be a soft way of bouncing the transaction.

If they used some of the other refusal codes the ATM may eat your card, this way you get the card back. In their own sytem the next line might be "refer to your bank".

Either way it looks like you need to contact your bank as a breathing person, phone or in person.

In my case the ATM took the card withdrew the monies from my acocunt in the states and then did not dispense the cash. Try to explain to the people at the bank that the money did not come out and watch them snicker when they ask you to proove that the funds did not come out.

I am very lucky that my bank is very customer oriented. Had an immediate response to my email and the money was back into my acocunt within one hour. I then turned around and did a Cash Advance on the card within the bank in person.

ATM's are a thing of the past for me, effectively immediately.

Yes I experianced exactly the same thing 'comms failure' with my Lloydstsb ATM card in several different machines about a week ago when in issan. I called the bank thinking they had put a block on it, due to it being an overseas transaction, but to my surprise they said there was nothing wrong with the card or a/c and to try again. So I tried the next day and it worked fine! :o

In my case the ATM took the card withdrew the monies from my acocunt in the states and then did not dispense the cash. Try to explain to the people at the bank that the money did not come out and watch them snicker when they ask you to proove that the funds did not come out.

I am very lucky that my bank is very customer oriented. Had an immediate response to my email and the money was back into my acocunt within one hour. I then turned around and did a Cash Advance on the card within the bank in person.

ATM's are a thing of the past for me, effectively immediately.

It is very rare for an ATM not to dispense money, and yet debit your account of the funds. How did you approach the bank staff? Did you throw a tantrum?

There are two ways that a bank can determine if a customer did (or did not) receive the cash: 1) is to look at the video record, and 2) is to go over the transaction records kept by the ATM/bank and reconcile the quantity of funds still available within the ATM.

Did you ask the bank to perform either of these? Or did you merely say the ATM did not give me money?

Yes I experianced exactly the same thing 'comms failure' with my Lloydstsb ATM card...but to my surprise they said there was nothing wrong with the card or a/c and to try again. So I tried the next day and it worked fine! :o

Sometimes it can be due to timing, perhaps when accounts are being updated and the bank closes its system to inquiries for 15-20 minutes.

I have found that when I come back in an hour to the same machine, it usually works fine.