Possible Comeback For Carlsberg In Thailand

Jai Dee

Possible Comeback for Carlsberg in Thailand

After last year’s agreement with multi-billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi from Thai Beverage, Carlsberg considers making a comeback on Thailand’s lucrative beer market after three years’ absense.

Carlsberg may soon find its way back unto the beer shelves in Thailand. After last year’s legal agreement with multi-billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi from Thai Beverage, the Danish-owned beer giant considers making a comeback on Thailand’s lucrative beer market after three years’ absense. In the legal document, the two parties signed an agreement to investigate the possibilities for a potential cooperation.

“It has not yet resulted in anything specific, but that is not due to bad feelings,” Carlsberg’s Press Secretary Mr. Jens Peter Skaarup states.

However, should Carlsberg decide to make a move on the Thai beer market, they will face some tough competition. Several international players have already increased their efforts in Thailand – including Heineken who has entered a joint venture with Asia Pacific Breweries and thus made a serious entrance on the Thai market.

The beer battle focuses especially on the luxuries brands, since the local companies Thai Beverages and Boonrawd Brewery have already established themselves on the broader market.

Source: ScandAsia News - 2 June 2006

it'll certainly get my money, sick of the hangovers from formaldehyde in the other big one

Tiger always gave me hangovers in Singapore, however now they have changed the recipe and it is ok.... maybe they can do the same in Thailand ? :o

Carlsberg is still a household name here, it's been absent for a cople of years only. During 1998 world cup it was everywhere with their "cool" campaign.

They can re-activate their draft customers - they had a lot more than outlets than Heineken. It's been replaced with Chang but I think Chang will gladly share the network again - it needs a premium beer in the stable.

The main official reason for divorce was poor marketing by Chang. Perhaps they realised that they actually need each other.

Too late for some I think.

When "casseberg" disappeared I tried "Patong shandy" for a while (Heinekin mixed with

Beer Chang to give it some kind of taste) then I managed to handle Chang on it's own.

No going back for some of us !

Anybody remember "Phuket Island" beer , possibly one of the worst in the world ?

Give me Real English Ale any day

There will be no Real English Ale here, never. Let's talk about what we do have, instead, like Carlsberg.

I believe it can easily take the lost market share from Heineken. Chang or Singh or Leo are not its competitors.

Chang Lite is a pretty decent beer - may be it's brewed for export. And it's only 4.2%. Nice to drink a weaker beer. I prefer to drink greater volumes in a hot climate & not get wrecked so quickly....

"Chang Lite" the big bottles I have seen in our Seven-Eleven-Shop today.

I want to tray out, but took the normal one after I have seen the price 50 Baht for the bottle. The normal Chang is 37 Baht in our Seven-Eleven-Shop. Normal I pay for 3 big Chang 100 Baht in the shop.

Why? Export-beer or what? Okay, one time I'll tray it out but not today and sure not for the next party.

It wouldn't surprise me if the so-called Chang Draft in bottles at 5% is actually going to be Carlsberg within a short time, at which point the price will go up.

IMHO Carlsberg was the WORST beer brewed in Thailand, maybe suitable for those brought up on the piss water known as Miller or Budweiser in America or the crappy draught lagers available in the UK.

San Miguel or Tiger for me if I'm on the weaker brews.

Chang Lite is a pretty decent beer - may be it's brewed for export. And it's only 4.2%. Nice to drink a weaker beer. I prefer to drink greater volumes in a hot climate & not get wrecked so quickly....

"Chang Lite" the big bottles I have seen in our Seven-Eleven-Shop today.

I want to tray out, but took the normal one after I have seen the price 50 Baht for the bottle. The normal Chang is 37 Baht in our Seven-Eleven-Shop. Normal I pay for 3 big Chang 100 Baht in the shop.

Why? Export-beer or what? Okay, one time I'll tray it out but not today and sure not for the next party.

Yes, Chang doesn't seem to understand, that light beers better be cheaper than standard beer. Singha seems to be a bit cleverer with the pricing of their light version.

:D Carlsberg when launched in Thailand back in 1992 was in brown bottles and was "Carlsberg Lager", then they changed in the late 90's to a green bottle with the COOL campaign. Didn't like it anymore.

The draught Carlsberg beer was kick butt. The Bill Bently Pub ( airport) had a pint with a punch.

I now drink Beer Lao, Tiger, Highagain ( Heineken ) and micro beers. :D

If I had my choice I would be drinkin icy cold Tuskers. :o

Edited by ilyushin