Buying A Motorbike In Bkk

Hi all,

I’m thinking about buying a 2nd hand motor bike to use in Bangkok. I’ve never owned a bike before and have only driven a bike with gears once 

What motorbike would you recommend me buying? What’s the difference between them apart from engine size?

Where would be a good place to start looking for one?

What do I need to look out for when buying 2nd hand?

Do I need insurance/tax to drive a motorbike in Bangkok?

Any other advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Ideally, I would love to buy a car as I’m aware of how dangerous bikes can be but simply don’t have the budget. It would also take me an hour to travel to my school whereas by bike it takes 15-20mins.

Thanks!

Rent a smallish bike to start with, a 110 cc or something like that. If you just want to get around just rent whatever is usable. If you intend to get a bigger bike later you might as well get used to gear and clutch from the start.

Don't get tempted to buy one of those JRD or Tiger bikes. They may be a little cheaper new but they don't hold the price. Honda Wave is probably the most popular small bike in Thailand.

Yes you need tax + insurance anywhere including BKK.

Advise: don't take anything for granted when you drive, be alert, expect the worst.

Yes you will need a license - otherwise your insurance will automatically be void.

Getting the license is a half day (most of which will be waiting) at the motor office, is very very easy and cost about 100 baht + forms and certificates. Getting a license in Thailand is discussed at length elsewhere on this forum, search for it.

Thanks for the replies!

I hadn't thought about a licence, but sounds like it's easy so haven't got a problem in sorting that out.

I'm thinking of a small bike for sure, just something that will get me from home to school/work.

Greg - You mentioned split personalities, I guess you are refering to my other post re: car finance? I'm just exploring my options mate thats all. Early stages at the minute. I'm in 2 minds, a bike is cheaper and quicker, although a car is safer and will allow me to venture out of Bangkok easier.

Thanks for the replies!

I hadn't thought about a licence, but sounds like it's easy so haven't got a problem in sorting that out.

I'm thinking of a small bike for sure, just something that will get me from home to school/work.

Greg - You mentioned split personalities, I guess you are refering to my other post re: car finance? I'm just exploring my options mate thats all. Early stages at the minute. I'm in 2 minds, a bike is cheaper and quicker, although a car is safer and will allow me to venture out of Bangkok easier.

You've never ridden a bike before....??? Personally, I don't think Bangkok or LOS in general is the place to learn... :o

Walk, get public transport or buy a car...You'll thank me... :D

Chicken :o

When I arrived in Thailand first time in my late twenties the only experience I had riding bikes was from when I had a moped as a teenager. Since then - about 15 years now - I have been riding bikes in Thaland on and off and haven't had a single accident yet.

But as I said, no time to sleep and don't take anything for granted. But that's the case walking in Thailand too.

Edited by madsere

Chicken :D

Exactly.... :D

But if you do the maths...

Say your taxi fare is 200 baht a day...1000 a week... 4000 a month...

It would take you about 11 months worth of taxi's (44,000) to add up to the price of a new Mio...and you'd live to tell the tale... :o

Motorbikes are tremendous fun and a convenient, fast way to get around in Thailand. Everybody should ride one.

The size depends on you, really. Ideally you'd have a large cruiser for the highway and a small bike for negotiating the traffic jams in town. The Honda Phantom or CB150 is a good compromise if you want a new bike fairly cheaply.

Of course you need insurance, and it would be better you, as a farang, to get a private policy to supplement the required minimum. If you hit somebody, you'll be very happy you have an insurance agent to call and come to the accident scene.

The biggest problems with buying a used bike are: what kind of shape is it in really, and does the supposed seller really own the bike? Better go with the seller to the Dept. of Land Transport and get the Dept. to OK the signatures and papers and engine/frame numbers BEFORE you hand over the money.

An old big bike will surely have many problems and it will probably take 50,000 baht and a year or two to sort it out.

Here's the best site for Thai used motorbike classified ads: http://www.mocyc.com/store/alltopic.php

If I can just give a little advice to you;

If you have never had any experience riding motorbikes before please dont learn to ride one in Bangkok.

Learning to ride in any city will be dangerous for sure but BKK is taking it to the limit.

One taxi driver in BKK told me that at least one person DIES every day on a motorbike in that city.

One dead bike rider doesnt sound to bad but there will be many more with broken body parts and sometimes the broken bits will not be repairable, brains come to mind.

If you are lucky enough to have a boring old compound fracture of your leg, you could be out of action for months ( I had to have bone grafts and was off work for 10 months )

In the country areas of Thailand, riding a motorbike is a real pleasure.

Good luck to you and your insurance company.

Check this out... Yesterday spent the day looking at bikes all over town, on the way back to my apartment I saw a taxi run into the back of a bike! No one was seriously hurt but it knocked the driver of his bike.

This may be budda trying to tell me something...

Anyhows, I'm still keen to get one. I think I'll go for a Mio, it's automatic so will give my brain full focus on the surrounding vehicles rather than thinking "what gear am I in now"

I used to ride around central London on a scooter so have got a little experience :-)

Ideally I want to hire a bike for a few days, a week or even a month to see if I like it. Can anyone recommend anywhere I can hire one?

Cheers for everyones input!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...