Farmers gather and prepare to oust Thai government

webfact

Remember about a month ago when thousands of rice farmers had gathered in Ayuthaya to prepare for a march on Bangkok because they had not been paid? Then they all went home because the Government promised to pay the farmers in full the following week?

Does this mean that the government didn't keep their promise?

• Like 2

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And now farmers get a reality check as price of rice is going lower and lower so the income will decrease. Ignorance is expensive and now farmers will be financially punished. They knew that their produce was not worth the money government offered. Very interesting story. Let's hope they have learned this lesson well.

No, Let’s hope no one gets hurt or killed (family members included). I would be very worried (especially for the leaders) as many are located in areas controlled by red shirts. Hopefully they can get some protection from military as the police are helpless...coffee1.gif

And now farmers get a reality check as price of rice is going lower and lower so the income will decrease. Ignorance is expensive and now farmers will be financially punished. They knew that their produce was not worth the money government offered. Very interesting story. Let's hope they have learned this lesson well.

but we must not forget thais are like children

Perhaps it is time for the true Redshirts (not the leaders, who are paid by the man in Dubai, but the followers who want true justice) to join with the farmers and protesters (again not the leaders, who have their own agenda, but the followers who want true democracy and an end to corruption). If these people could get together without their leaders, we might see true reform.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

so you actually believe that the 'followers', of either side or shirt colour, are anything other than that? Folks to be rounded up like sheep (yes, SHEEP!) and used by those same 'leaders' who all just really want the same thing, again both sides (!!), ie, the control, power, and therefore the money/ purse strings??? Just take even the shortest glimpse of any rally site, red faced shouty leader up on the podium in full hate/bitterness-feudal mode ("We're the good guys, they're the EVIL!!!") and you will also see a crowd, sometimes huge, of people laughing and joking (shaking plastic hand-clapper toys or whatever, in appropriate colours!!) and clearly hardly even interested, apparently even much aware (a chorus of 'rattles' on the given marks aside!), of the words of their (so-called) 'leaders-for-change', all like it's just part of some big JOLLY... true justice? A noble enough cause but most Thais clearly just want to live their lives in peace, go about their usual daily business, and not get used by those with absolutely no real empathy for them, by being dragged from pillar to post, stirred and mobilised by leaders, local and nationwide, and their promises of a new Thailand.. ('YOUR Thailand.. well mine actually, once YOU've got me and my pals back in the money-seats'!!!)... coffee1.gif

wai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Had they been paid an above market price for their rice from a scheme that could wreck the economy, they would be quite happy. They are concerned only for themselves, not the Thai Nation. Don't paint them as heroes.

These people are farmers not economists, bankers or politicians. They were offered a price for their product.

The farmers accepted the offer. It was not the duty of the farmers to calculate what the effect of the offer was going to have.

The farmers have not been paid what was offered despite delivering the goods.

It is right the farmers now demand, in any possible legal manner, that what is owed is paid !

Thanks to The Pool for standing up for the farmers who are the very people that are receiving and will receive the most damage and hardship.

These people make up over 50% of the Thai population. Yes, over 50% of Thailand's population are either farmers and/or deal directly and indirectly with the farming industry.

THEY are THAILAND! To hear some of you Farangs talking like LemonJelly is just pathetic and shows the insensitivity so many of you Farang blowhards have for Thais.

One more thing to all the BlowHard Farangs...why do you keep using the word Democracy?

Why does Yingluck and the Redshirts keep using the word Democracy?

One: This is completely 110% about criminal acts against the Thai people and severe and costly criminal acts.

Two: There never has been a democracy here in the first place....never!

If a Thai person votes the way thier Komnan (Village head) tells them as he was told by the head of their district who was told by their governor....fine!

Thai people have never had a problem with that.

In fact Thais are so used to corruption that as long as all Thais are in for the ride....all is well!

I am not condoning corruption but just telling it like it is.

When the corrupt officials are so greedy and corrupt that they FORGET to feed the mouths that voted for them....you have a big problem in Thailand.

These poor farmers and the entire rice industry has been destroyed by these hired puppets of the megalomaniac in Dubai Thaksin who has plundered this country and plundering is a most serious crime.

No matter what happens in the short term....the farmers and poor people of Thailand are screwed.

They are going to have to be the ones that pay for the corruption and crimes of the Yingluck-Thaksin regime.

These Red Shirt leaders don't give a damn about farmers or even Thailand.

They are all being paid and are being offered incredible amounts of money to bring DADDY back home.

They are greedy, dishonest and will become very violent in order to get their money from DADDY.

I've got news for you Red Shirt guys.

You are never going to get those huge financial bonuses!

And your DADDY is NEVER coming home!

Thanks again to The Pool for sticking up for the underprivileged.

The Boz

• Like 2

There is no, "Learning of Lessons", in this country. Unless you either end up dead, deported or in Jail, as a consequence to your actions, and even then, some type of either, "acceptance of things as they are", or supernatural explanation will be employed in order to obscure an absolute truth. Add to that zero accountability for ones actions and apathetic enforcement of the law and you have anarchy disguised as democracy. It used to not be this bad- but lately it's untenable.

• Like 1

Hmmmm...

Everyone will probably need a lawyer at least once in his lifetime...

A teacher for several years, until he finishes his education...

A doctor, once in a while, when sick...

A farmer, an average of three times a day, all of his life!

So be nice to the farmers. They are the ones putting food on your table, taking chances on the weather and getting very little return for their long hours of labor. They are the once, who are still putting in an "honest days work", not living of the misery of others wai2.gif

Good points of course.

However maybe you should add :

"How many times does one need a politician in ones' life?"

Particularly poignant of course when read with your last sentence

"They are the once (sic), who are still putting in an "honest days work", not living of the misery of others"

sad.png

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Perhaps it is time for the true Redshirts (not the leaders, who are paid by the man in Dubai, but the followers who want true justice) to join with the farmers and protesters (again not the leaders, who have their own agenda, but the followers who want true democracy and an end to corruption). If these people could get together without their leaders, we might see true reform.

Just for the record: every day when I go to work in Bangkok I walk through a soi (small alley) that is populated with pro-Shin families. It is very easy to know because they display Yingluck and other PT election posters on the walls, the TV channels they see sometimes, and the fragments of conversations that I catch very often.

But yesterday, as I passed by, I heard a woman saying to the group: [sua dang put na klua] – “The speech of the Red Shirts is scary”.

That means that they are really losing some kind of support or trust from their bases in Bangkok after their threats of violence and separatism. But I don't think that they would go to support the farmers.

Edited by MGP

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's Thailand, and based on past performance they will have learned nothing.

True

Someone who writes things like that obviously has very little understanding of what went on.

All of the farmers had been paid for at least one crop and in some cases up to four crops in the time the scheme was in operation so had every reason to trust that they would be paid again.

It was not their business how the scheme was administered and not their place to keep checks on the Govt.

They were told that their crop would be bought from them at certain prices, so go for it and produce the crops, which they did.

It was not their fault that the scheme was unsustainable and that mountains of unsold rice built up.

Don't know if you have ever been in a rice farming area and seen how many of the farmers live, if you had you would certainly not blame them for wanting to improve their lot ,as this scheme promised to do.

They are in no way to blame for the predicament they find themselves in now, no matter how much you and others try to twist things to call it selling their vote.

Had those in the PT Govt done as they should and made budget provisions to pay the debts to the farmers before dissolving the house then the farmers would not be protesting now, there would be no need for the desperate efforts to raise loans, nor to be selling rice at below market price as is reported elsewhere today.

The Govt selling stockpile rice is now in direct completion with the farmers who have no choice but to sell the crop they are harvesting now for whatever price they can get.

It has been reported that some farmers have only been offered 3,000 b per ton and the price is certainly down to 5,000 b, lower the than cost of production .

Then there are the debts many have been forced to take on through non payment.

If you have never been on the bones of your bum yourself and can find no empathy with the farmers at least try a little sympathy.

OK!! Please tell me how many crops they had been paid for under this scheme at the time they voted them into power..........I will tell you, zero, so this "they were paid for the first one so why shouldn't they expect to be paid thereafter" doesn't hold water I'm afraid!!!

Haven't they heard of the quotation:

"if something seems to be too good to be true then it probably is"

They were duped once and would have been duped again if this vote had been deemed legal and allowed to be completed.

They have got to learn their lesson and realise that the Democrats are far from the 'nasty people' they have been indoctrinated to believe they are. Their scheme benefitted them far more than Thaksin's abortion and was responsible and affordable (they even admitted this just prior to the election). Don't they read the papers (Khaosod doesn't count) where academics, Abhisit, and numerous experts in the field were all saying disaster would be in the air if they implemented this ludicrous scheme.

They should wise up, its good to see that some of them have, but there are still thousands I bet that will side with PTP at the next election!!!

Just for the record: every day when I go to work in Bangkok I walk through a soi (small alley) that is populated with pro-Shin families. It is very easy to know because they display Yingluck and other PT election posters on the walls, the TV channels they see sometimes, and the fragments of conversations that I catch very often.

But yesterday, as I passed by, I heard a woman saying to the group: [sua dang put na klua] – “The speech of the Red Shirts is scary”.

That means that they are really losing some kind of support or trust from their bases in Bangkok after their threats of violence and separatism. But I don't think that they would go to support the farmers.

It literally means "red shirts speak ugly".

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

And yet it's these same people who voted this government in in the first place. The higher powers(we all know who they are) should simply take back over the running of the country. In the west, if we want the government out, a political leader gone it's done so rather quickly. I think it took, less than a month to get rid of Rudd in Australia after it was decided he couldn't do his job properly. All these protests are getting Thailand nowhere except backwards. Businesses are suffering, therefore the people are suffering, tourists are on the decline and we only have to look at our monthly figures to see that. Large companies are pulling out of Thailand which will hurt the Thai economy as well. Will someone please grow some balls and do something about it ..... hint hint. I can't believe Malaysia is a 2 hr hop skip and a jump away and yet it is at least 30 years in front. It's clear that the current government don't give a shit about the country, because if they did, this would be all over now.

Remember about a month ago when thousands of rice farmers had gathered in Ayuthaya to prepare for a march on Bangkok because they had not been paid? Then they all went home because the Government promised to pay the farmers in full the following week?

Does this mean that the government didn't keep their promise?

It does indeed Bubba.

I'm really shocked because their ex PTP coalition party MP leader had a personal meeting with caretaker PM/DM Yinglick who "vowed" they would be paid next week.

There'll be hell to pay when YL finds out some incompetent fail to carry out her instructions and pay the poor farmers after their months of waiting and countless previous lies. whistling.gif

Must all be an administrative mistake. PTP said the money was available months ago, way before all these protests.

Would be nice. But are you sure these grassroot redshirts know what it' s all about? Or know what democracy is? If they did they were not red shirts and would not follow their leaders.

Had they been paid an above market price for their rice from a scheme that could wreck the economy, they would be quite happy. They are concerned only for themselves, not the Thai Nation. Don't paint them as heroes.

These people are farmers not economists, bankers or politicians. They were offered a price for their product.

The farmers accepted the offer. It was not the duty of the farmers to calculate what the effect of the offer was going to have.

It is right the farmers now demand, in any possible legal manner, that what is owed is paid !

Thanks to The Pool for standing up for the farmers who are the very people that are receiving and will receive the most damage and hardship.

These people make up over 50% of the Thai population. Yes, over 50% of Thailand's population are either farmers and/or deal directly and indirectly with the farming industry.

THEY are THAILAND! To hear some of you Farangs talking like LemonJelly is just pathetic and shows the insensitivity so many of you Farang blowhards have for Thais.

One more thing to all the BlowHard Farangs...why do you keep using the word Democracy?

Why does Yingluck and the Redshirts keep using the word Democracy?

One: This is completely 110% about criminal acts against the Thai people and severe and costly criminal acts.

Two: There never has been a democracy here in the first place....never!

If a Thai person votes the way thier Komnan (Village head) tells them as he was told by the head of their district who was told by their governor....fine!

Thai people have never had a problem with that.

In fact Thais are so used to corruption that as long as all Thais are in for the ride....all is well!

I am not condoning corruption but just telling it like it is.

When the corrupt officials are so greedy and corrupt that they FORGET to feed the mouths that voted for them....you have a big problem in Thailand.

These poor farmers and the entire rice industry has been destroyed by these hired puppets of the megalomaniac in Dubai Thaksin who has plundered this country and plundering is a most serious crime.

No matter what happens in the short term....the farmers and poor people of Thailand are screwed.

They are going to have to be the ones that pay for the corruption and crimes of the Yingluck-Thaksin regime.

These Red Shirt leaders don't give a <deleted> about farmers or even Thailand.

They are all being paid and are being offered incredible amounts of money to bring DADDY back home.

They are greedy, dishonest and will become very violent in order to get their money from DADDY.

I've got news for you Red Shirt guys.

You are never going to get those huge financial bonuses!

And your DADDY is NEVER coming home!

Thanks again to The Pool for sticking up for the underprivileged.

The Boz

Boz,

You're probably almost completely wrong with everything you've said.

But 5 points for trying anyway

Congrats

clap2.gif

so if you were a farmer, you wouldnt take the higher price previously offered by the yingluck government?

At most it means they may have one supporter that is waivering.

Geez, you guys on the Yellow side spend an awful lot of your time grasping at straws.

What are they pissed about,the Government bought all their rice

well above world market prices .......Oh yes they have not been

paid. but they will still vote the same government in again at the

next election,they will never learn.

regards Worgeordie

Especially as, according to the folks in my village, it's all Ahisit's fault.

They won't hear a word against madam Gucci or her brother. Farang no unnerstand.

What are they pissed about,the Government bought all their rice

well above world market prices .......Oh yes they have not been

paid. but they will still vote the same government in again at the

next election,they will never learn.

regards Worgeordie

at least they'll receive 500 Baht for it.

Instead of applying a label like red - yellow or whatever, wouldn't it be more prudent to refer to them as the Thai people, you see,, believe it or not that's what has been going on in Bangkok the last 4 months.

I'll draw your attention to some facts that might be a clue to what has been going on in Thailand the last while

1. The redshirt leaders have attempted a call to supporters for various rallies recently, they have by in large been a failure due to lack of interest and minimal numbers.

2. The anti-government movement has had protest numbers well into the multiples of millions, although some here label them as "yellows" that label is incorrect

3. The redshirt movement has in fact fallen apart because the Thai people are slowly becoming wise to what they really are and what the leaders represent, some redshirt leaders have openly declared they no longer support the movement the latest of which was Thida, some ex red leaders have been participating in anti government protests and been seen making speeches on stage. What we have left in the movement are a few hundred violent thugs that would be up to no good no matter what label or excuse you give them - every society has these type of people most of which end up in jail at some point.

You really think that people like Ko Tee and Jutaporn will lead people to anything good or have a future in Thailand - I think not

The whole affair is nothing but a Ponzi scheme, except that the object of the deception is votes, not money. No Ponzi scheme is sustainable and very soon the balloon crashes with inevitable results. Sadly it seems that many of the farmers do not realise that they have been conned and still support the squarehead who devised the plot. Sooner or later they will have to realise, and that will be the end of the megalomaniacs in power.

The govt offered a price, the farmers took them up on their offer. The farmers handed over the rice and now expect to be paid for it. The govt cannot take goods at a price they offered and then not pay up.

I personally think the whole rice scheme was economic lunacy, but that is down to PT, not the farmers.

"The govt cannot take goods at a price they offered and then not pay up"

Yes they can, and yes they did.

Lets see the red boiler room typing pool put some spin on that.

Blame the victims. How classy and insightful. Crawl back into your cave.

They maybe the victims - but you should also ponder the question as to why they are so!!!

They should have known better than to have trusted the word of a perennial liar!!!