Health insurance recommended for expat in CM ?

jiangaq

Does anyone give me some ideas about a good service insurance company in reasonable price? Especially for family package since I will have a baby soon.

I would also like to know about the individual package for kid only.

I hope it can be covered in most of the famous hospitals in Chiangmai city.

Was going through the same dilemma for weeks myself,

Contact AA brokers, they have plans by Allianz, one of the cheapest around, yet excellent coverage, and is backed by one of the largest Insurance Co.

My premium with Bupa 33000 baht and covers 5 mb, with Allianz premium 27000baht and covers 30mb

Personally I use BUPA. Before settling in Thailand I used BUPA International. Now I use BUPA Thailand http://www.international-health-cover.com/medical-insurance-providers/bupa-thailand.html

Maybe not the cheapest but for sure reliable.

BUPA international will cover both in UK and Thailand?

Bupa International covers worldwide, US excluded, HOWEVER premiums are double to Bupa Thailand

Contact AA brokers, they have plans by Allianz, one of the cheapest around, yet excellent coverage, and is backed by one of the largest Insurance Co.

My premium with Bupa 33000 baht and covers 5 mb, with Allianz premium 27000baht and covers 30mb

Is there any bad experence for you when trying to get the money from Allianz?

Do you mean AA broker is good choice with cheaper price than insurance company itself?

How can I get in touch with the broker?

Personally I use BUPA. Before settling in Thailand I used BUPA International. Now I use BUPA Thailand http://www.international-health-cover.com/medical-insurance-providers/bupa-thailand.html

Bupa International covers worldwide, US excluded, HOWEVER premiums are double to Bupa Thailand

Do you mind advise the premium and coverage yearly price?

Is there any bad experence for you when trying to get the money from Allianz?

Do you mean AA broker is good choice with cheaper price than insurance company itself?

How can I get in touch with the broker?

I have not had bad experience with Allianz ever.

Yes sometimes they can make you jump through a few hoops, but in general a pretty good company

Easier to go through the broker as you also have an added shield http://aainsure.net/health_insurance_thailand.html

When i first contacted Allianz direct, i was quoted around 65 000 baht per year.

When i went through AA brokers, premium is only 27 000, but it runs through a different brand, but still Allianz underwriting. and same policy cover.

Edited by whoisyourdaddy

Do you mind advise the premium and coverage yearly price?

All depends on the age bracket

For me, age bracket 36-40,

Bupa Thailand, Platinum Plan 36 000 baht(or there abouts) IDP only(up to 5mb per incident cover)

Bupa International, Same plan, IDP only,(up to 30mb cover) 84 000 baht. With once per year deductible of USD$850, premium 54000

Edited by whoisyourdaddy

Is it correct that the health insurance only covers you

when you are admitted to hospital,and does not cover

you for out patient treatment?

regards Worgeordie

2 different policies.

IDP is for hospitalization

ODP is an out patient .

You can have option for ODP but premium will almost double.

With Allianz , if doctor visit led you to hospitalization , they will cover initial visits and tests as well.

With bupa, I am not sure

BUPA Thailand has an OPD option. I considered the additional premium not cost effective, most likely any OPD treatment would be cheaper to pay out of pocket. In any event the hospitals are anxious to admit overnight as they make more money and the insurance pays it all.

I too have BUPA Thailand. Most reliable thing about them is that they have a habit of rejecting the use of the insurance first time around. A call to them will convince them that the use is valid and they follow through well. Funny little habit they have - at least in 75% of the times I have used them.

You can get Bupa through AA as well, they quoted me BUPA when I got mine, but I opted for ACS which suited my needs as it can be paid monthly. Having the broker there to help is nice and costs no more, before I had Thai Health product and AA helped with a claim that Thai Health were a bit slow on.

be careful with insurance brokers. I know a guy that made his annual medical premium payment to a broker and discovered a month later when he was in the hospital that the broker had kept the money and not paid the insurance company. Company refused to cover him for the stay. I think it is best to deal with the insurance companies directly when in Thailand. Like many things here, there is no regulation and you can find out the hard way.

• Like 1

be careful with insurance brokers. I know a guy that made his annual medical premium payment to a broker and discovered a month later when he was in the hospital that the broker had kept the money and not paid the insurance company. Company refused to cover him for the stay. I think it is best to deal with the insurance companies directly when in Thailand. Like many things here, there is no regulation and you can

find out the hard way.

Broker aren't cheaper, get a good broker is a luck while most of them are just a middle man cutting their piece of cake like many others. Slightly off topic, once I tried to get car insurance from the broker as I was too busy contact the company directly myself, was told the price was the same and their so keen on trying to change the insurrance company which I never heard of,for the cheaper premium. I smell something dodgy and decided to contact the company I normally use, got email back within day and 3000 baht cheaper than quoted by broker! It's not 3000 bath I care, but the fact that they lied to my face make me feel betrayed, I don't mind if they say the price is slightly different but the services they provide and so on .. To lie and think people would not find out??? Not a good way to do business is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

be careful with insurance brokers. I know a guy that made his annual medical premium payment to a broker and discovered a month later when he was in the hospital that the broker had kept the money and not paid the insurance company. Company refused to cover him for the stay. I think it is best to deal with the insurance companies directly when in Thailand. Like many things here, there is no regulation and you can find out the hard way.

I always transfer the premium direct to my various insurance companies (internet banking is so easy) and copy my broker. Much safer. But surely the guy must have wondered why he never received his new documents soon after payment made ?

Yes, be careful, but a broker can also be a valuable ally if there is a disputed claim. Choose an insurance company that offers you internet access to your insurance file, independent of the broker. You can then check if your policy is in force.

• Like 1

I too have BUPA Thailand. Most reliable thing about them is that they have a habit of rejecting the use of the insurance first time around. A call to them will convince them that the use is valid and they follow through well. Funny little habit they have - at least in 75% of the times I have used them.

My wife used her BUPA card just last week. First time we have ever used the card in all the years we have been insured by BUPA. Late evening and she was feeling very ill, so off to hospital. Hospital wanted to keep her overnight for observation, so BUPA insurance kicked in. No trouble at all, hospital phoned BUPA, all bills paid for her overnight stay. Only trouble is I guess I won't get our 10% no claims discount next year.

That is the difference between a Company and personal broker, Companies must guarantee policies and the Ombudsman ensures this, Insurance is very heavily regulated in Thailand and the Ombudsman is there to assist in cases where there are problems, so you statement about no regulation is incorrect.

Our forum sponsor AA Insurance Brokers are a company level broker.

Here is the Website for them http://www.oic.or.th/en/weblink/index.php

There are many misconceptions about insurance but to try an clear up a couple :

First make sure the person/company you are dealing with is in fact a Broker - if not sure ask for their Broker License and make sure it is current (Note Brokers are different from Agents)

Brokers do not charge more than the insurance company - this can be checked very easy by looking at the Policy once you receive it.

Payment - many insurance companies (notable foreign based companies) ask for premiums to be sent direct by the customer to them BUT should you be worried about do tell the broker you wish to pay the insurance company direct and the Broker can arrange.

I'm using www.hccmis.com They are A+ rated. I'm paying 115 per month for zero deductible and 1 million usd max. You can renew from abroad. Depends on your home country and age and how long you will be stayin'. If I had socialized medicine in my home country; I would probably take a look at Aliianz, as you would basically need to be stabilized and sent home. I formerly used www.imglobal.com, but hcc is cheaper. Both are us us based companies, which is where I would want to be if I had to take them to court. HCC has direct billing with RAM, and has a toll free number to call them collect, if you have pompom.

I'm using www.hccmis.com They are A+ rated. I'm paying 115 per month for zero deductible and 1 million usd max. You can renew from abroad. Depends on your home country and age and how long you will be stayin'. If I had socialized medicine in my home country; I would probably take a look at Aliianz, as you would basically need to be stabilized and sent home. I formerly used www.imglobal.com, but hcc is cheaper. Both are us us based companies, which is where I would want to be if I had to take them to court. HCC has direct billing with RAM, and has a toll free number to call them collect, if you have pompom.

Again, not useful if you live in Thailand.

Just so you know OP, insurance for your baby doesn't take effect for 30 days in Thailand. If you buy a policy the day the baby is born, you can't use the insurance until the baby is 31 days old. My child was very sick as a small baby and it cost me about 150K THB until the insurance kicked in that we bought when the baby was about 2 weeks old. We did get some of the money back from the Thai government but that is another story.

Edit: Also the Allianz policy the others are taking about is an International policy. You don't need that if you live in Thailand. We have one policy that is Thailand-based by its affiliate Ayudhya Allianz. It has very high limits and pays for everything and is very cheap. I'm sorry to say it is not available to new applicants anymore but there are comparable policies out there. AA Insurance Brokers are very good (I use them for some policies). Give them a ring.

Edited by elektrified

Just so you know OP, insurance for your baby doesn't take effect for 30 days in Thailand. If you buy a policy the day the baby is born, you can't use the insurance until the baby is 31 days old. My child was very sick as a small baby and it cost me about 150K THB until the insurance kicked in that we bought when the baby was about 2 weeks old. We did get some of the money back from the Thai government but that is another story.

I think you may find most insurance companies have some waiting period even for grown ups, when reading the small print, there is a list of "conditions" which need about 6 months waiting period and the wording is as such that insurance company can turn any sickness to fall under that condition.

A question though, was the birth covered by the insurance? and if it was, would not the new born be covered automatically?

Edit: Also the Allianz policy the others are taking about is an International policy. You don't need that if you live in Thailand. We have one policy that is Thailand-based by its affiliate Ayudhya Allianz. It has very high limits and pays for everything and is very cheap. I'm sorry to say it is not available to new applicants anymore but there are comparable policies out there. AA Insurance Brokers are very good (I use them for some policies). Give them a ring.

The one underwritten by Allianz i was referring to was specific for Thailand and SE Asia, i think its run through ACS and as you said much cheaper than direct one from Allianz.

Allianz direct was over $2000 per year, while the one through AA brokers(ACS) only around $900(note i am talking about specific age bracket)

I think you may find most insurance companies have some waiting period even for grown ups, when reading the small print, there is a list of "conditions" which need about 6 months waiting period and the wording is as such that insurance company can turn any sickness to fall under that condition.

A question though, was the birth covered by the insurance? and if it was, would not the new born be covered automatically?

I am unaware of policies in Thailand that cover the birth of a child. That is not to say they aren't available...I just don't know. We had a contract with Chiang Mai University. Everything was covered for up to 4 days for a fixed amount.

Edited by elektrified

The one underwritten by Allianz i was referring to was specific for Thailand and SE Asia, i think its run through ACS and as you said much cheaper than direct one from Allianz.

Allianz direct was over $2000 per year, while the one through AA brokers(ACS) only around $900(note i am talking about specific age bracket)

I always get confused when people use currency other than the Thai Baht. I guess you mean U.S. or Aussie Dollars? I pay a little more than 12,000 Baht per year for my child's insurance and have had the policy for 4 years. Next year the premium drops a little. We have filed dozens of claims and never had a single problem or a claim questioned.

There is a lady who runs a small restaurant by the Veerachi Court Guest House and she also sells insurance. Many expats have bought insurance from her.

So go down to Sunnee's restaurant on Thapae Road, Soi 2 and ask for Sunnee. She delivers.

• Like 1

I always get confused when people use currency other than the Thai Baht. I guess you mean U.S. or Aussie Dollars? I pay a little more than 12,000 Baht per year for my child's insurance and have had the policy for 4 years. Next year the premium drops a little. We have filed dozens of claims and never had a single problem or a claim questioned.

US$, ie 27000 baht per year .

Most policy's I looked through covered maternity, but not sure if baby covered automatically or not.

I guess if someone in the market, it's a question to ask