Visa Run Phenom Pen Help

I will be making a visa run to Phenom Pen on the March 25th. I will be flying in from Bangkok and swapping passports (dual citizen)

as one passport is now full. I plan on a one week stay in Cambodia to look around a little. I am looking for a hotel recommendation

in Phenom Pen and also Sihanoukville, the best way to Sihanoukville, and a visa service to handle the visa application at the

Thai embassy. I only need a single entry visa as I plan to stay another 2 months in Thailand and would like to look around

a little in Cambodia. Thanks in advance.

I've lived in Phnom Penh and now travel there from Thailand a lot. I have stayed many times at Mondulkiri Boutique Hotel on 178. Near-luxury rooms. A 5 minute walk to nightlife area of Golden Sorya Mall and St. 51. Plus 10 minute walk north to Sorya Shopping Centre. Note: Don't forget to insert "Boutique" in your booking searches. There's another (same owner) of same name without word Boutique in the name.

Haven't tried but will on the next trip either: 1. Cyclo Hotel on 23 at 172, east side of Norodom Blvd. Very nice place, having visited it. That's closer to the riverside and 172 has loads of good restaurants. Also really good food at Lone Star Saloon on St. 23. 2. Physically between those two is Newcastle Hotel 2 on 172, but west side of Norodom Blvd. All these hotels are $20 to $35/ night.

I know little about S'ville these days. But The Small Hotel is terrific. In centre of town, but you'd probably want to stay near beach, which is a healthy moto/tuk tuk ride. So maybe book beach area place.

If you haven't heard, the Thai embassy in PP is the worst for customer service. Bar none. Good luck.

Edit: Adding comment that I've stayed in many other hotels, most of which have become crap over the years, so didn't want to name any.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 2

I've lived in Phnom Penh and now travel there from Thailand a lot. I have stayed many times at Mondulkiri Boutique Hotel on 178. Near-luxury rooms. A 5 minute walk to nightlife area of Golden Sorya Mall and St. 51. Plus 10 minute walk north to Sorya Shopping Centre. Note: Don't forget to insert "Boutique" in your booking searches. There's another (same owner) of same name without word Boutique in the name.

Haven't tried but will on the next trip either: 1. Cyclo Hotel on 23 at 172, east side of Norodom Blvd. Very nice place, having visited it. That's closer to the riverside and 172 has loads of good restaurants. Also really good food at Lone Star Saloon on St. 23. 2. Physically between those two is Newcastle Hotel 2 on 172, but west side of Norodom Blvd. All these hotels are $20 to $35/ night.

I know little about S'ville these days. But The Small Hotel is terrific. In centre of town, but you'd probably want to stay near beach, which is a healthy moto/tuk tuk ride. So maybe book beach area place.

If you haven't heard, the Thai embassy in PP is the worst for customer service. Bar none. Good luck.

Edit: Adding comment that I've stayed in many other hotels, most of which have become crap over the years, so didn't want to name any.

Thanks for the useful information and I will check both hotels on Agoda. Regarding the Thai embassy and there level of service, that

is why I will use a visa service. Thanks again.

Lux Riverfront Hotel is a modern place with large very nice rooms, small free buffet breakfast, elevator (many smaller or converted buildings dont have) for $45. It's located just steps off the riverfront on St. 136, in the heart of the tourist district. It's not listed on Agoda (wasn't before) so have to email them directly for reservation. Ask for a superior room.

Mr. Keo, a few steps from the Lux, has always done a good job on my visas. Search this forum for contact information that's been posted before.

• Like 1

I went there for my visa run a year ago and I loved it. The people are very hospitable and they speak better English. It's good you are staying a week because the Thai consulate is quite slow there. Anticipate an extra day to get things done. It took me 3 days to get a tourist visa.

It feels more civilized there. I plan to visit again.

• Like 1

Last time I got a tourist visa there in July 2012 I handed my application to a guard outside and got it back 3 days later (handed in on Monday morning around 10.30am and returned mid afternoon on Wednesday) for just $5 more than what they charge inside. Apparently it also takes 4 days if you handle the application directly inside.

As far as hotels in Phnom Penh go, there are many good ones, the best being boutique hotels, which are some of the best in the region. The King Grand Boutique Hotel, which goes for around US$50 or equivalent on Agoda.com is located near the Cambodia-Vietnam friendship park and less than 10min walk from the Royal Palace is a consistently good choice. Samsara Villa is one of the closest hotels to the Thai embassy and is less than 10 mins walking distance away (about 300m) along street 466. Their rooms go for about US$48 and are beautifully decorated with a great breakfast and a friendly French manager named Remi. Apart from that, the Frangipani group of hotels, starting from around US$40 are also great.

• Like 1