The mystery of what speed I should be getting.

worgeordie

Dork

bytes=32

time <1ms

TIL=254

Is there an efficient way to access "Thaivisa"? At present, I enter "Ask.com", type "thaivisa" etc. Say a desktop icon?

Edited by cnx37

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dork

bytes=32

time <1ms

TIL=254

OK that "1ms" is good. In this case it's the only number we're interested in. The "bytes=32" and "TTL=254" don't matter.

When you leave the ping command running for a few minutes is it consistently returning "time <1ms" or is it sometimes jumping up to a much higher number? Or even saying "request timed out"?

Dork

bytes=32

time <1ms

TIL=254

Is there an efficient way to access "Thaivisa"? At present, I enter "Ask.com", type "thaivisa" etc. Say a desktop icon?

You can type "http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/" into the address bar at the top of your browser. That will take you to the forum.

Then if you move your mouse pointer to any blank part of the page, right click and select "create shortcut" that will make a desktop icon for you.

Dork

Every line is the same.

OK good. That tells us that the LAN connection between your PC and your router is ok.

Now we can test the connection between your router and the DSLAM. The DSLAM is TOT's local box (in your local neighbourhood) that your phone line physically connects to. To do that we need to know your WAN Gateway IP address.

To get that IP address, can you go to the same page in your router configuration as you did yesterday: http://192.168.1.1 then "Status" then "Device Info"

This time on the left column of the page click "WAN"

On the page that is displayed you will see a bunch of numbers e.g. 125.121.23.147 and 255.255.255.255. The number we want is called the "Gateway". Write down what the number (IP address) associated with that. Let's say just as an example the number is 123.123.123.123

Now open a command prompt again but this time type "ping /t 123.123.123.123" Obviously substituting 123.123.123.123 for whatever number you wrote down.

From the ping returns, what are the "time=XXms" you are getting? Are they in the approx. range of 10ms/20ms and are they consistent?

Dork - I have hit a "brick wall".

Re shortcut - complied - ended up with an I/E icon on desktop - no good.

Other - WAN etc. + Ping

Same as yesterday. I think that I have failed in this "assignment".

Dork - I have hit a "brick wall".

Re shortcut - complied - ended up with an I/E icon on desktop - no good.

Other - WAN etc. + Ping

Same as yesterday. I think that I have failed in this "assignment".

No problem cnx37. I think that your next step should be to call TOT and ask for a technician/linesman to visit. Show him your results from the TOT speedtest and he will understand the problem.

It is possible that the problem is not something that TOT can fix (i.e. something wrong with your PC) but usually those guys are quite helpful so he should be able to diagnose the issue.

Also if you have a friend that can visit with a laptop you could get them to connect to your WiFi and see if they have the same issue. That might narrow things down a bit.

Good luck and let us know when (fingers crossed) the issue is resolved.

Cheers

• Like 1

Just one more thought......... You do have security enabled on your WiFi router don't you?

If not it's possible some prxxk from somewhere nearby has joined your WiFi network and is downloading 24/7. That could cause the problem.