Viability Of 1997's Construction Statues

JimGant

Does anyone know if construction can resume on an incomplete building that's been left to the elements for 7 years?

It's still eerie to see all that incomplete construction from 1997, and I haven't noticed any of it being restarted (then, again, I don't notice a lot of things). I just wonder if any/some/most of these buildings can be completed? I would think rusty rebar and decaying brickwork would say 'no.' But I ain't an engineer.

And, I guess, the corollary question is: If they can be restarted in Thailand, would building codes in Europe/ANZUS allow the same? (I stayed in that hotel in Korat one week before it collapsed -- this several years back -- so ever since, Thai construction has arroused my curiosity :o

Partly depends on the stage it had reached when work stopped, partly on any 'mothballing' and partly on why it was stopped.

Rebar sticking out of concrete need not be rusted through - most often a patina of oxidation can protect the underlying steel, but is galvanic corrosion has set in, it needs to be replaced. Concrete itself can deteriorate if subject to various salts and moisture. If you just have the frame of a concrete-framed building erected, it is better to demolish and start again.

Why was construction stopped ? Did the developer run out of money, was planning permission denied, was the land someone else's ???

Hundreds of questions - many you and I would never hear answers to. All over Thailand (and other countries) you can see these half-built monuments to idiots. But it is best to ignore them - why should you be able to do better than the original investor ?

Why was construction stopped ? Did the developer run out of money, was planning permission denied, was the land someone else's ???

Many projects stopped when the markets had their big crash back in 97.

Two problems with building codes here....

- They aren't strong enough in the first place.

- Doesn't matter if they are strong.. it's not unusual to see them ignored. (An Asia thing, not just Thailand)

cv

I seem to remember a big push a couple of years ago to sell these skeletons at a greatly reduced price, as most of them are the result of bad debt. I think I remember the Gov't saying there was something like a billion dollars tied up in all these unfinished projects, which are unfinished because of the debt the original investor got themselves into, and could not climb out of.

After a visual inspection during my trips from Don Muang to home (never spend more then 30 mins in BKK) it seems they didn't sell too many of them.

Shame really because they are a reminder of what can happen, and perhaps a deterrant to future investors.

The original question is very interesting, having seen some of the construction methods firsthand I am always a little uneasy in asian built monstrosities, ie do not rock the boat as it might just sink... :o