Official stamp by MOE on Thongsook BA TESOL Degree

Neither Bruce's TESOL nor the Int'l Diploma will net you a licence. At the very least, if it is not a degree in Education than Education must be in its title. Period.

Grasping at straws.

Per my direct discussion with TCT, there is no course on offer in Thailsnd that leads to a licence for foreigners. No course in the process of being approved nor any course being planned. Call and ask yourselves.

Foreigners cannot take the Thai coursebeing developed or on offer already, even if they are fluent. I asked that as well.

I repeat, as it was stated in the leak in the Bangkok Post a few months back, TCT is strongly leaning toward mandating BA Ed for all foreign teachers - or higher OR presumably but not mentioned full certification in your home country.

Bruce, I do not have a TEFL but I would rather a BA in liberal arts from a state school and a CELTA from IH or even ECC than what you are pitching. I see it did not go over too well on those other boards either.

But hey, it does have a stamp - it's something.

Edited by fifthcolumn

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And i would agree withyou troll, I mean fifth column. getting a bachelors degree in liberal arts from a US university is better than getting your bachelors degree in TESOL from Thongsook College.

of course the cheapest you could realistically get a bachelor's degree in the US is $50,000. And that also requires you to spend four years back in the United States.

that's a viable option. Put yourself in fifty thousand dollars worth of debt so that you can teach English in Thailand. Then of course, you still need to get that masters degree on top of that so you'relegal..

but anyone that's not a troll would also agree that getting agree in teaching English that costs only 3000 baht per month is also a viable option for obtaining that degree.

People can do a lot of things if they really want to. I think a lot of the people that are attending programs in Thailand are doing so because they live here, maybe have family here, etc.

I'll be implementing my dreams as soon as I figure out those winning lottery number or that nice man from Nigeria puts that money he promised into my account. In the meantime....

Please stay on topic.

There are many good masters degrees in education from Australia US and the UK available online. Not to mention India in the Philippines. But, you need a degree first.

So India is in the Philippines now? Gotta love your posts.

• Like 2

There are students in Thongsook who have CELTAs and have taught in the UK, and they are most certainly learning more from this course.

I have a Text and Talk TEFL which is worthless compared to the learning I have done at Thongsook.

I understand that I will not get a teachers license from this degree, but it will enable me to teach in the country I want to live.

Far more important to me is that I am learning how to teach more professionally.

If you want to learn how to facilitate learning and become a legal teacher here this is a great way.

Yes I would have preferred a degree from the UK, but I live here and don't like distance learning. I also don't have enough income.

I hope that in the future we can have a gold embossed letter, signed by the King, projected onto the MOE headquarters. The letter will state that Thongsook is approved by the TCT, David Cameron, Obama, and Mr Chips, and will confirm that we are all lovely students who want to do well and improve our teaching. Without this letter the trolling and refusal to listen to others will continue forever.

I've offered this before, but here goes again. If you want a truthful opinion of Thoingsook PM me. I will give you my opinion about Thongsook from the day its doors opened to us up until now.

There are students in Thongsook who have CELTAs and have taught in the UK, and they are most certainly learning more from this course.

I have a Text and Talk TEFL which is worthless compared to the learning I have done at Thongsook.

I understand that I will not get a teachers license from this degree, but it will enable me to teach in the country I want to live.

Far more important to me is that I am learning how to teach more professionally.

If you want to learn how to facilitate learning and become a legal teacher here this is a great way.

Yes I would have preferred a degree from the UK, but I live here and don't like distance learning. I also don't have enough income.

I hope that in the future we can have a gold embossed letter, signed by the King, projected onto the MOE headquarters. The letter will state that Thongsook is approved by the TCT, David Cameron, Obama, and Mr Chips, and will confirm that we are all lovely students who want to do well and improve our teaching. Without this letter the trolling and refusal to listen to others will continue forever.

I've offered this before, but here goes again. If you want a truthful opinion of Thoingsook PM me. I will give you my opinion about Thongsook from the day its doors opened to us up until now.

Your post is really surprising. Why would anybody with s CELTA and teaching experience in the UK do such a TEFL?

Anything people learn in such a TEFL is far away from reality, when walking into a classroom, you’re on your own.

I know that you’d worked in lower northeast, then moved to another school and continued working here to support your family.

I remember the questions you had on this forum, regarding teaching in LOS.

But you never mentioned how “superb” that sort of TEFL for you was. Just wondering what had changed your mind.

So how would you know that if you were not there? Please be honest.

So, why do people have to text you to know all from A-Z, if that's all so fantastic? can't you just make your own thread and write all about it? Thanks

Edited by lostinisaan

You're wasting your time with these idiots. I would wager that ' fithcololum' is sat in his yellow stained y fronts just trolling anyone and anything. If he has a degree or CELTA then I'm the Pope.

It is a legitimate degree and you ABUS can check anytime with the MOE. Well done Bruce for making this possible for over 120 students. I would challenge 5th column to a thesis write off any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your post is really surprising. Why would anybody with s CELTA and teaching experience in the UK do such a TEFL?

Anything people learn in such a TEFL is far away from reality, when walking into a classroom, you’re on your own.

I know that you’d worked in lower northeast, then moved to another school and continued working here to support your family.

But you never mentioned how “superb” that sort of TEFL for you was. Just wondering what had changed your mind.

So, why do people have to text you to know all from A-Z, if that's all so fantastic? can't you just make your own thread and write all about it? Thanks

I will try to answer all your questions for you

1/ Your post is really surprising. Why would anybody with s CELTA and teaching experience in the UK do such a TEFL?--- This is not TEFL it is TESOL and there is a difference that you may need to look up before even making such a comment. However, the reason is that all teachers should accept the fact that they could be better, and try to become the best they can. Standing still is, in truth, moving backwards.

2/ Anything people learn in such a TEFL is far away from reality, when walking into a classroom, you’re on your own.---This is true, though walking into a classroom with no knowledge at all is not only foolish to yourself, it is also inconsiderate to your students. I would go as far as to venture that any teacher who was prepared to do so should not be a teacher.

3/ But you never mentioned how “superb” that sort of TEFL for you was. Just wondering what had changed your mind.---You have an advantage on me here as I do not want to spend time reading through my past posts. However, if I did say the TEFL was superb I undoubtedly thought so at the time. Now I know that was wrong. If studying at Thongsook has shown me anything it is that I knew little about real teaching methodologies and practices. I was a chef in a kitchen full of ingredients with no mixing bowl or recipe to follow. Unfortunately because I do not kinow the starting point I cannot say why I changed my mind. I simply know this. The TEFL was a good starting point, but the degree has opened my eyes to the possibilities in teaching English to speakers of other languages.

4/ So how would you know that if you were not there? Please be honest---I will answer this as honestly as I can. This makes no sense at all. Please re-phrase the question.

5/ So, why do people have to text you to know all from A-Z, if that's all so fantastic? can't you just make your own thread and write all about it?---People don't have to text they simply need to PM me. If I start a thread I will need to reply to reply to all the naysayers that this subject has. and I do not want to reply to you all. I have already replied to some who have asked questions and seem genuinely interested and will do so for others. The thing is that my patience with people who have no real interest in the course wears thin quite quickly.

It would be interesting to compare the teaching of Thongsook students who have tried to improve themselves with teachers who simply turn up at work and stick a video on for their students. Too many teachers want to earn money and give nothing back. I am not saying that all Thongsook students are Mr Chips, but I know for a fact that a lot would like to be. I have taught with a lot of teachers who didn't know what they were doing (cert under their arms) but witha bit of direction could have been great. I realise that teaching is not simply about knowledge, but kinowledge goes a long way at the start.

lostinissan, I have no idea who you are or what your agenda is, but I believe that if you were serious about learning about Thongsook you would have replied as I suggested; by PM. I know that you are a serious person and helpful, but this kind of post is not helpful to anybody who wants to know about this degree. Thank you for the opportunity to reply though.

Happy days in Issan mate, and I hope this does not upset our applecart too much

• Like 1

See? All that money spent on his US degree and he cannot even spell correctly! I guarantee every student at Thongsook College never mispeles words when posting on this forem!

clap2.gif

not just because of the laws of Thailand, but decency and PROFESIONALISM.

Professionalism. :-)

I will try to answer all your questions for you

1/ Your post is really surprising. Why would anybody with s CELTA and teaching experience in the UK do such a TEFL?--- This is not TEFL it is TESOL and there is a difference that you may need to look up before even making such a comment. However, the reason is that all teachers should accept the fact that they could be better, and try to become the best they can. Standing still is, in truth, moving backwards.

2/ Anything people learn in such a TEFL is far away from reality, when walking into a classroom, you’re on your own.---This is true, though walking into a classroom with no knowledge at all is not only foolish to yourself, it is also inconsiderate to your students. I would go as far as to venture that any teacher who was prepared to do so should not be a teacher.

3/ But you never mentioned how “superb” that sort of TEFL for you was. Just wondering what had changed your mind.---You have an advantage on me here as I do not want to spend time reading through my past posts. However, if I did say the TEFL was superb I undoubtedly thought so at the time. Now I know that was wrong. If studying at Thongsook has shown me anything it is that I knew little about real teaching methodologies and practices. I was a chef in a kitchen full of ingredients with no mixing bowl or recipe to follow. Unfortunately because I do not kinow the starting point I cannot say why I changed my mind. I simply know this. The TEFL was a good starting point, but the degree has opened my eyes to the possibilities in teaching English to speakers of other languages.

4/ So how would you know that if you were not there? Please be honest---I will answer this as honestly as I can. This makes no sense at all. Please re-phrase the question.

5/ So, why do people have to text you to know all from A-Z, if that's all so fantastic? can't you just make your own thread and write all about it?---People don't have to text they simply need to PM me. If I start a thread I will need to reply to reply to all the naysayers that this subject has. and I do not want to reply to you all. I have already replied to some who have asked questions and seem genuinely interested and will do so for others. The thing is that my patience with people who have no real interest in the course wears thin quite quickly.

It would be interesting to compare the teaching of Thongsook students who have tried to improve themselves with teachers who simply turn up at work and stick a video on for their students. Too many teachers want to earn money and give nothing back. I am not saying that all Thongsook students are Mr Chips, but I know for a fact that a lot would like to be. I have taught with a lot of teachers who didn't know what they were doing (cert under their arms) but witha bit of direction could have been great. I realise that teaching is not simply about knowledge, but kinowledge goes a long way at the start.

lostinissan, I have no idea who you are or what your agenda is, but I believe that if you were serious about learning about Thongsook you would have replied as I suggested; by PM. I know that you are a serious person and helpful, but this kind of post is not helpful to anybody who wants to know about this degree. Thank you for the opportunity to reply though.

Happy days in Issan mate, and I hope this does not upset our applecart too much

Your last sentence made me suspicious. Seems that you're gone from Isaan, congrats to your new job at..........stamp it company.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Is this an inside joke? I'm lost.

I think he thinks I work for you Bruce. Though why he thinks that from the last sentence is a bit bewildering....ahh.....I wrote our instead of your. There you go, we should all do a little research before writing what we think eh.

upset YOUR apple cart makes sense. Upset our apple cart makes no sense there.

And what is the stamp IT reference?

Now I think about it, I think I meant to write our, as in mine and his i.e. not falling out.

I think the "stamp it" is a reference to the ministries stamp, but he is from Issan so it could mean anything.giggle.gif

OF COURSE I misspelled "misspelled" and "forum" intentionally.

I often have typos and mis spellings, but that one was intentional. People who freak out about misspellings on a forum like this bug me, though. its JUST a forum!

See? All that money spent on his US degree and he cannot even spell correctly! I guarantee every student at Thongsook College never mispeles words when posting on this forem!

One can only hope this is dark humour. :-)

• 2 months later...

Bit of a bump. Interesting stuff. My only fear would be doing it for three years and The MOE turning it down (the degree itself not the college). Perhaps a call to the MOE by applicants may clear it up? Or maybe it won't. Either way, check it out but it does seem legit to me. If it is legit then you would be able to do a Masters pretty much anywhere. You may find it difficult getting a teaching gig outside of Thailand and a few other nations, but I suppose for 120k it will be worth it to many. If graduates get a 4 year waiver, they could always save for a year or so and do a Masters in Education via distance learning or full time study. You'll probably be able to go almost anywhere with a M.Ed/PGCE/PGDE from the UK/USA. Or if you stay in Thailand you could apply for gigs that pay well. We'll know much more when the first lot graduate (later this year I heard). You can be certain quite a few will be rushing off to get their work permits. I hope they get them. If it is scam (I don't think it is btw) then anyone who can take advantage of someone desperate for a BA should be shot in front of his/her family. Live on television. Hopefully, this will end with happiness, fluffy bunnies and weights off shoulders.

120k does seem rather cheap, but Ram has a similar priced degree and so do a few other establishments within Thailand. Reading stuff from a few posters I trust, it actually does seem to be real. The course (again stuff I've read from a few posters I trust not the obvious salesmen) appears to be challenging. Just a quick look at their modules on their website and you can see it's no beach TEFL.

The Unesco database of Uni's/Higher ED Establishments thingy (I believe it's the worldwide recognition thing for degrees) has the college listed (page 4 I think). It shows up as Withayalai Thongsook. There are plenty of 'Withayalai' thingies. I presume this translates as Thongsook College, but my Thai isn't all that. A few searches confirmed it is the same place. I might be inclined to contact the MOE and ask for written proof that the course itself is ratified by them. Although, I doubt Thongsook (with a license to have degree courses) would want their name tarnishing. Have there been instances in Thailand of Universities/Colleges claiming a course is legit only to have their students collect a useless piece of paper? And if it did happen, were they shut down/fined massively/jail sentences for fraud etc. Anyway, I'm going on a bit. Here's thee Unesco doo-dah (page 4).

http://www.iau-aiu.net/sites/all/files/t_nw.pdf#Thailand

Good luck to all on the course and I hope it works out for you. Perhaps this may ease any worries further. Unless someone has other news.

Like I said, I'm no betting man but if I had to choose between it being accepted or not by MOE, I would go for it being accepted. But, I've been wrong before. Good luck.

Edited by GoonDizzy
  • Like 1