Pattaya Beach Book store - new location?

Grin Grasser

For mainly used books in English and a few books in other languages, I visited Pattaya Beach Book.

It was located on the second floor above Tops supermarket on the corner of Pattaya Central Road and Second Road.

I went there yesterday, Sunday, and the book store was gone.

Has it re-located? Where?

I searched the internet and got a phone number, +6638 362 175. I phoned the number, but no answer yesterday or this morning.

Two ladies on the second floor told me, Soi Buakhao and Pattaya South Road.

A lady receptionist at the Cucumber Hotel on Pattaya South Road told me that she knew the book store, but did not know if and where it has a new location.

I walked along Soi Buakhao from Soi Diana to Pattaya South Road, but I only found one bookstore, which sold Thai books and did not find the Pattaya Beach Book store.

Any other stores that sells used books in English?

Thanks in advance.

It is the far side of what is the car park when the market is not operating. I can't give a better description than that, but the mobile number of the guy that owns it is Hope this helps.

Edited by Rimmer
phone number removed as per forum rules

Thanks. Another forum listed the book store's new number.

Since today is Tuesday, I will take another walk along Soi Buakhao and see if I can locate the market. Then I will phone the book store and get directions to where he is located.

If you contact him, suggest that he search the internet for the name of his book store and have those web sites update his location.

Thanks again.

If the market is not on you can see it from Soi Bukhaew.

It has yellow livery and only opened yesterday.

The ground floor is open now. He hopes to have the first and second floors open next week.

When he is fully open it will be Pattaya's biggest and best second hand book store. He was limited by space in TOPS but will have a lot more books on display in his new location.

He's a nice guy and his new shop is well worth a visit.

• Like 2

Thanks for your responses to my query about the new location of Pattaya Beach Store.

Last Tuesday, I walked on Soi Buakhao from Soi Diana towards Pattaya South Road - walked south.

When Soi Buakhao reaches an open area with a few tents and some parked vehicles, the soi curves right and then left to go around the open area.

As mentioned by others, on Tuesday and Friday, this is where a big open market is set up, as seen by the adjoining tents covering the entire area.

As Soi Buakhao curves to the right, there is a Family Mart on the left corner. You walk down this paved street on the left about a block, until you reach another corner.

Turn right at this corner. Along this soi, the market or open area will be to your right. To your left is a short block. Two establishments' sign can be seen when the market tents are not up. One is Country Road, if memory serves.

The new phone number provided by a responder to my query was very helpful. I called the number and the owner told me that birds and puppies were sold in front of his store.

I heard birds chirping, which led me to the store. There were no puppies. The owner said that the puppies were there earlier in the day. I guess the puppies were all sold to local citizens, who had decided on that day's dinner.

The book store was at the end of this short block. The name of the store was Secondhand Books, the new name for the former Pattaya Beach Book. A sign on the door said, open 10 am - 6 pm.

When the market tent is up, this store cannot be seen from Soi Buakhao.

The store owner told me that he had just opened the store and was still in the process of arranging the books.

If you continue pass this short block to go pass the next short block, you will encounter the main street of Pattaya South Road. The store owner said that this soi is called Soi 20.

Thus, the book store is across from the south-east end of the (Tu, Fri) market on Soi Buakhao and a block north of Pattaya South Road. Soi 20 is east of Tuikcom building and Friendship supermarket on Pattaya South Road, by about a block.

By the way, one of the books that I purchased had a store name stamped inside the cover. It said, "Mams Books, Cheena House, Chaiyapruk 1, Jomtien.". So, that might be another source of used books in English.

Thanks again for the help.

• Like 2

Why not try Thais for Life bookstore on Soi Yensabi? Over 3000 books in stock in various languages, books are B80 each and when you return them you get B40 discount on your next book. All profits go to local charities.

• Like 1

Why not try Thais for Life bookstore on Soi Yensabi? Over 3000 books in stock in various languages, books are B80 each and when you return them you get B40 discount on your next book. All profits go to local charities.

I'm glad to hear this shop is still there. I used to use it when I read analog books (now exclusively read e books-just handier) and always thought it was a good deal and a way to help out charities. The people there are very nice there. It's been a while since I have been there, but I recall them having a good selection of books in english and other languages. Maybe I will head over and pick up a few real books for beach reading. Thanks for the reminder!

• 1 month later...

For those having trouble finding the new location, perhaps these directions might be a better help than wandering around Soi Buakao.

Pattaya Tai, Soi 20 - close to Tukcom - other side of the road. Just go in about 25 metres, and it's on the right.

• 7 months later...

I realise this is an old thread, but Mike, the owner of Pattaya Beach Books is an old friend so I've resurrected it and added this post.

The shop is now known as Pattaya Second Hand Books.

This is the (still in progress) website showing location including directions, map and contact details http://pattayasecondhandbooks.com/

Edited by VBF