Court seeks opinion of NACC in red-shirt crackdown cases against Abhisit

webfact

COURT
Court seeks opinion of NACC in red-shirt crackdown cases against Abhisit
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court on Monday asked the National Anti-Corruption Commission to submit its opinion in its probes against former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva related to 2010 crackdowns on red shirts.

The court scheduled June 20 for hearing the NACC's opinions in the cases against Abhisit before proceeding with the murder charges against the former prime minister related to the crackdowns.

Also on Monday, Abhisit pleaded innocent to the charges after the court read and explained the lawsuit against him at the Criminal Court.

Abhisit and Suthep Thaugsuban, former deputy prime minister and director of Centre for Resolutions of Emergency Situation, have Been accused of causing others to commit murder and attempted murder by ordering the CRES to crack down on red-shirt protesters in April and May 2010.

The suit said the crackdowns led to the deaths of Phan Khamkong, 43, and Kunakorn Srisuwan, 14, and the injuries to Samorn Maithong, a van driver.

The court said it wanted to learn opinions of the NACC regarding the allegations that the prime minister unlawfully issued orders for the crackdowns before it determined the scope for presenting witnesses during the trial.

Banthit Siriphan, Abhisit's lawyer, said the defendant was fighting the charges and that the Department of Special Investigation had no right to make the case as the probe into Abhisit's action fell under the authority of the NACC.

Banthit said if the NACC finds that Abhisit's has committed no wrongdoing, its decision will be used to defend Abhisit in court.

The court has allowed Samorn and Noochid Khamkong, Phan's wife, to be co-plaintiffs in the case.

Chokechai Angkaew, a lawyer of relatives of the slain and injured red shirts, said public prosecutors also filed suit against Abhisit over the deaths of six persons inside the Pathumwanaram Temple. The court scheduled June 2 for considering whether to proceed with the case.

Public prosecutors have asked the court to merge the six deaths with the case of murders of Phan, Kunakorn and the attempted murder of Samorn.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-24

this was a set up by tarit under orders from his boss thaksin and they knew the charges would never stick, it was purely under the hope of getting him to go along with the wiping of all charges againt himself, thaksin etc and it has failed miserably. When this is investigated by independant agencies with no reason to fabricate evidence the case will be dropped, the reds started the killing and the army was told to defend itself, there were no go zones set up and evbveryone was pre warned, there were no orders issued to direct fire at anyone other than those shooting at the army, there were also the men in black, thaksins snipers that were shooting indiscriminently, this will be easily proved and the case wiped making tarit and the ptp out like the idiots they are.

What we may now see are more charges laid against ptp members that were telling the reds to shoot and burn Bangkok lets hope they really get to the bottom of who ordered what.

This is either the most delusional thing I have ever read, or the author is purposely disingenuous. First, there are no "independent" agencies, there are only agenda-driven agencies. Second, in no country on earth is it acceptable for an army to shut down a demonstration by shooting demonstrators. Third, we know now who the men in black are, and they are all employed by Suthep. Fourth, the reds did not burn Bangkok. Men in Black (i.e. Suthep's minions) lit a small fire in Central to try to justify the murders they had just committed.

Its sad that anyone could be an apologist for murder.

this was a set up by tarit under orders from his boss thaksin and they knew the charges would never stick, it was purely under the hope of getting him to go along with the wiping of all charges againt himself, thaksin etc and it has failed miserably. When this is investigated by independant agencies with no reason to fabricate evidence the case will be dropped, the reds started the killing and the army was told to defend itself, there were no go zones set up and evbveryone was pre warned, there were no orders issued to direct fire at anyone other than those shooting at the army, there were also the men in black, thaksins snipers that were shooting indiscriminently, this will be easily proved and the case wiped making tarit and the ptp out like the idiots they are.

What we may now see are more charges laid against ptp members that were telling the reds to shoot and burn Bangkok lets hope they really get to the bottom of who ordered what.

This is either the most delusional thing I have ever read, or the author is purposely disingenuous. First, there are no "independent" agencies, there are only agenda-driven agencies. Second, in no country on earth is it acceptable for an army to shut down a demonstration by shooting demonstrators. Third, we know now who the men in black are, and they are all employed by Suthep. Fourth, the reds did not burn Bangkok. Men in Black (i.e. Suthep's minions) lit a small fire in Central to try to justify the murders they had just committed.

Third, we know now who the men in black are, and they are all employed by Suthep. Fourth, the reds did not burn Bangkok. Men in Black (i.e. Suthep's minions) lit a small fire in Central to try to justify the murders they had just committed.

Do we know this? Maybe I missed something. Can someone confirm this? This is a genuine question.

Where does this particular fairy tale come from. The only thing that is clear here that the conspiracy to 'whitewash' Abihist is well underway and his mum has worked her magic to save him from justice as she said she would.

• Like 1

Where does this particular fairy tale come from. The only thing that is clear here that the conspiracy to 'whitewash' Abihist is well underway and his mum has worked her magic to save him from justice as she said she would.

What also seems completely forgotten by now is that the Yingluck government tried to push through a blanket amnesty bill which would have caused all these cases to be thrown out immediately.

• Like 2

How exactly are they whitewashing Abhisit? If anyone is being whitewashed it's the army who fired the shots but aren't being investigated. Why would they need to whitewash Abhisit anyway. The killings seem to have been carried out by the army in contravention of the ROE that they were given.

I agree with an earlier post. What does the NACC have to do with a 'murder' charge? It would appear the Thai courts have a very wide latitude to do anything they want. One would think if this was a matter for the NACC it would have been referred to then in the first instance. Puzzling and completely irrational. I will NEVER understand the Thai system of jurisprudence or the manner in which 'justice' is applied. For a poor person, someone pointing a 'finger' seems to be the only necessary indictment needed by a court!

The court said it wanted to learn opinions of the NACC regarding the allegations that the prime minister unlawfully issued orders for the crackdowns before it determined the scope for presenting witnesses during the trial.

Isn't it the role of the Court to determine was is lawful and what is not; what facts are appropriate and what are not? Why should the Court be concerned about what the NACC thinks is lawful and why does it have to personally become involved with the NAAC? Abhisit's attorney is the one to present any legal arguments for the defense before the court and if it has testimony it wants to be considered before the court, then its should introduce that testimony or evidence. Yet, here the Court appears to be taking on both the role of a prosecutor and defense in presenting a trial BEFORE ITSELF.

"The Criminal Court on Monday asked the National Anti-Corruption Commission to submit its opinion in its probes against former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva related to 2010 crackdowns on red shirts"

CC asked Anti-Corruption Commission its opinion? And for what???

It's like CC asked Tax Department an opinion toward a case of rape...

Will the incompetence and the huge corruption toward both sides ever end?

"This is either the most delusional thing I have ever read'

Pot ... meet Kettle.

• Like 2

I agree with an earlier post. What does the NACC have to do with a 'murder' charge? It would appear the Thai courts have a very wide latitude to do anything they want. One would think if this was a matter for the NACC it would have been referred to then in the first instance. Puzzling and completely irrational. I will NEVER understand the Thai system of jurisprudence or the manner in which 'justice' is applied. For a poor person, someone pointing a 'finger' seems to be the only necessary indictment needed by a court!

I could be wrong but I think the case was sent to the NACC first. I think they decided there was no case to answer. I must admit that the Thai legal system takes some understanding. As far as I know the NACC had the case because it concerned 2 government officials. The then PM and DPM. Why they deal with these things I don't know but it seems the looked at the evidence and saw that there wasn't much chance of getting a guilty verdict based on the army disobeying orders and killing people. tarit then decided if he charged them not as PM and DPM it could be sent to a normal court and so be kept going even if it collapsed in the end.

I may not have that entirely correct but I'm sure that's something like it.

I could be wrong but I think the case was sent to the NACC first. I think they decided there was no case to answer. I must admit that the Thai legal system takes some understanding. As far as I know the NACC had the case because it concerned 2 government officials. The then PM and DPM. Why they deal with these things I don't know but it seems the looked at the evidence and saw that there wasn't much chance of getting a guilty verdict based on the army disobeying orders and killing people. tarit then decided if he charged them not as PM and DPM it could be sent to a normal court and so be kept going even if it collapsed in the end.

If they're now charged as ordinary civilians, why would the court discuss it with the NACC?

If they're now charged as ordinary civilians, why would the court discuss it with the NACC?

No idea I'm afraid.

• Like 1

It's sad you make untrue comments - which are against forum rules.

Let's see your proof regarding who employs the men in black then.

• Like 1

In town for the Yabba mate?

You are REALLY a NUT case with Red Glasses..w00t.gif

• Like 2

1. there are no "independent" agencies, there are only agenda-driven agencies. (do you dispute this?)

2. in no country on earth is it acceptable for an army to shut down a demonstration by shooting demonstrators. (do you dispute this?)

3. we know now who the men in black are, and they are all employed by Suthep. (do you dispute this?)

4. the reds did not burn Bangkok. (do you dispute this?) Men in black (i.e. Suthep's minions) lit a small fire in Central to try to justify the murders they had just committed. (do you dispute this?)

• Like 1

1. there are no "independent" agencies, there are only agenda-driven agencies. (do you dispute this?)

2. in no country on earth is it acceptable for an army to shut down a demonstration by shooting demonstrators. (do you dispute this?)

3. we know now who the men in black are, and they are all employed by Suthep. (do you dispute this?)

4. the reds did not burn Bangkok. (do you dispute this?) Men in black (i.e. Suthep's minions) lit a small fire in Central to try to justify the murders they had just committed. (do you dispute this?)

How should an armed protest be shut down? Do you dispute they were armed?

3 and 4 is straight out of the red shirt propaganda book.

• Like 1

First, it was not an armed protest. Yes, I dispute they were armed. I was there, and while there may have been a few people among the tens of thousands in the park that had pistols in their pockets, it is indisputable that tens of thousands where unarmed and were fired on without provocation by thousands of soldiers armed with war weapons. Abhisit and Suthep decided to end the demonstration by any means, and declared a "life fire zone". Snipers on rooftops targeted unarmed protestors and nurses serving the sick and injured, then celebrated after blowing their brains out.

Second, there is an armed protest going on right now in Bangkok, and the current government has declined to send in the army to shut it down by shooting unarmed or armed protestors. No matter what you think of her policies, its clear that Yingluck and the PTP are a sight more civilised than the previous government.

3 and 4 may be out of the propaganda book, but the most effective propaganda is the truth. We now know the men in black, armed with war weapons, are navy seals. This has been proven through photographs, videos and the courts. Also, Bangkok was not burned down. I live here, and would have noticed.

Edited by In Town
  • Like 1

First, it was not an armed protest. Yes, I dispute they were armed. I was there, and while there may have been a few people among the tens of thousands in the park that had pistols in their pockets, it is indisputable that tens of thousands where unarmed and were fired on without provocation by thousands of soldiers armed with war weapons. Abhisit and Suthep decided to end the demonstration by any means, and declared a "life fire zone". Snipers on rooftops targeted unarmed protestors and nurses serving the sick and injured, then celebrated after blowing their brains out.

Second, there is an armed protest going on right now in Bangkok, and the current government has declined to send in the army to shut it down by shooting unarmed or armed protestors. No matter what you think of her policies, its clear that Yingluck and the PTP are a sight more civilised than the previous government.

3 and 4 may be out of the propaganda book, but the most effective propaganda is the truth. We now know the men in black, armed with war weapons, are navy seals. This has been proven through photographs, videos and the courts. Also, Bangkok was not burned down. I live here, and would have noticed.

It seems you're eyes were closed. There is plenty of evidence out there that they were armed.

Can you please point to any report that says that the men in black were navy seals?

Edited by whybother

It seems you're eyes were closed. There is plenty of evidence out there that they were armed.

Can you please point to any report that says that the men in black were navy seals?

There is no evidence they were armed. I was there every day for weeks and all I ever saw was a few catapults and some bamboo sticks.

Here are some reports:

http://www.freedistrict.com/news/asia/thailand/thailand-crisis-2-navy-seals-working-as-protest-guards-7327.html

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/navy-seals-commander-blasts-police/

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/02/28/thai-f28.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Former-Navy-Seals-not-plot-to-snatch-PM-freed-by-p-30227826.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/world/asia/thailand.html?_r=0

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707008-former-thai-navy-seals-not-plot-to-snatch-pm-freed-by-police/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706910-pm-kidnapping-team-not-active-personnel-thai-navy/

• Like 1