Location of the old White Rose Club in Vientiane?

LuukKoeyKorat

Load up www.hobomaps.com Believe it was on Mathaourath Road, same street as the Sayasouly Guest House, 90 deg to the river and Sethathirath Road.

Must admit that I did visit the establishment once or thrice back in The Day.

A couple photos attached (not mine), from the old times and these days, as IDed by a couple of old timers....

Macpost-32650-0-01749900-1395886923_thumb.jpost-32650-0-43917300-1395886950_thumb.j

You're the man!, much appreciated!

thumbsup.gif

Load up www.hobomaps.com Believe it was on Mathaourath Road, same street as the Sayasouly Guest House, 90 deg to the river and Sethathirath Road.

Must admit that I did visit the establishment once or thrice back in The Day.

A couple photos attached (not mine), from the old times and these days, as IDed by a couple of old timers....

Macattachicon.gifWhite Rose 19700001.jpgattachicon.gifWhite Rose Today.jpg

Here's another of the White Rose taken around 1971. I was in Vientianne a few years ago and found where it was located. Don't recall the street name.

post-11958-0-88328700-1396244071_thumb.j

Edited by Spaniel

• 2 months later...

The White Rose Cafe was a hot spot during the period 1959-1962 for CIA and U.S. Army Special Forces personnel involved with White Star. Music, food, drink, and girls were in the cafe. Bedrooms were on the second floor. I don't remember a third floor. The stairs were located at the end of the building toward the river.

Just returned from Vientiane yesterday and stayed at the Doung Deune Hotel next door to the White Rose building.

Looks like they are getting ready to pull down the old building. All of the shop fronts are vacated and emptied (bar one....second from left when facing, possibly the original White Rose entrance?)...and all the golden elephant decorations on the first floor wall have been knocked out and removed.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...

Few years late to join this topic but just to confirm on one of the previous posts that the location of the White Rose is indeed to the left hand side of the Douang Deuane Hotel (If your stood on the street facing the lobby). The original building which was called the Kham hou Luangkhol building that housed the White Rose sadly no longer exists, it was demolished and the site now sits under a new hotel. Across the road from the site there's a few old businesses which have been there for years. We managed a lady who was born on this street, her Grand mother can remember the White Rose from back in the day. Sad its no longer around, but there's a number of other fairly old bars on this street which will still give you a sense of what this street was like back in the day. Worth a pint if you have time. The location of the  White Rose is now on google maps. The Street view of this location on google maps still shows the Kham hou Luangkhol building prior to it being demolished. 

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg