Recommendations for pet carrier case available in LOS - for long flight

In a couple of months I will be bringing a small cat to the US , inclusive of time in the airport the poor angel will be in the case for >24 hours. So I need to buy one that is suitable for this (what I currently have is just for short hauls, not enough room). Would appreciate any suggestions from people who have bought ones they like here in Thailand - what and where obtained. He'll be traveling with me in the cabin so airline size restrictions on the case apply, can't be a large cage, has to fit under the seat.

Also would appreciate any advice re rigging up a small kitty litter recepticle inside the carrier -- this is a very fastidious cat and no way is he going to be happy just going on absorbant pads in the case. He's fairly small so I think there should be enough room in a standard pet carrier to rig up something, just trying to figure out how.

where are you situated Sheryl,i buy quite a bit of stuff from SHAMU who have a good selection of pet carriers.not sure if you can download the magazine its www.shamuquarterly.com example I am looking at one that is a wheely carry on bag whith mesh covered ventilationon three sides,17.5inches x 11width x 13high.price 1,599bht.non member,member 1,499bht.

they have a store in bkk.tel.02-2129172 and one in Phuket tel.07-6375743. or you can have it delivered.

Many thanks for that, it did download and in addition to the carriers, lots of good stuff there. Greta that they deliver asI am not near anything.

Any experience re the fashioning of some sort of small litter box inside a carrier for long hauls?

I'm in the same situation. I'm worried about picking the right type as airlines often have pretty strict requirements. I recall browsing a long time ago and someone saying that there's a pet shop in Sathorn Bangkok that sells airline approved pet carriers, but I can't remember where I saw the post. I'll update if I find anything.

Please do, thanks.

I think the dimension requirement is a bit more flexible if you opt for a soft as opposed to hard case.

I really do worry about the poor fellow being caged for that many hours. It is far longer than any cat can or should go without access to a litter box and food and water. I am hoping Korean airlines will not look askance at me taking him into the lavatory every 4 hours or so for a litter box offering, and also opening the carrier to offer him sustenance from time to time. I'm flying business class so that should help.

Please do, thanks.

I think the dimension requirement is a bit more flexible if you opt for a soft as opposed to hard case.

I really do worry about the poor fellow being caged for that many hours. It is far longer than any cat can or should go without access to a litter box and food and water. I am hoping Korean airlines will not look askance at me taking him into the lavatory every 4 hours or so for a litter box offering, and also opening the carrier to offer him sustenance from time to time. I'm flying business class so that should help.

According to http://www.pettravel.com/passports_container_requirements.cfm for your pet to travel in cargo it must be a hard case. Give it a read and look at the requirements. I don't think you can travel with your pet in cabin for international flights, just domestic.

Also, http://www.pettravelstore.com ships to Thailand, but it's around $150. I doubt it's necessary to order from abroad though.

Korean Airlines.

United, Delta, American (and maybe others -- I think most US Airlines), Air France, Air Canada, Asiana also allow.

There may be others as well but these are the ones I know.

If however you are flying into a country with strict quarantine rules (like Oz or UK) policy might vary.

Thai used to allow it and just recently stopped, to my great dismay.

• 3 weeks later...

Korean Airlines.

United, Delta, American (and maybe others -- I think most US Airlines), Air France, Air Canada, Asiana also allow.

There may be others as well but these are the ones I know.

If however you are flying into a country with strict quarantine rules (like Oz or UK) policy might vary.

Thai used to allow it and just recently stopped, to my great dismay.

So, I was checking with United Airlines, and they don't let pets in cabin for international flights. Now I'm going with Delta and they do! Have you found a carrier yet? If so, where did you get it? I'm looking to purchase one soon so my cat has time to get used to it.

Yes, I got this one from Amazon (arrived very quickly via their global thing): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000633ZOY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glad you'll be able to bring your cat in the cabin with you, much easier on you both.

BTW I have also ordered, but not yet received, foldable waterproof litter box and water dishes from here: http://www.pettravelstore.com/travel-cat-litter-tray/

My plan is to bring a small quantity of kitty litter in my carry-on along with some food for the cat and the foldable containers. At about 6-7 hourly intervals I'll go into the lavatory with the cat, set up the litter box and let the cat out of the case to use it (if he will), then back in the case. My itinerary is such that I'll be able to do this once at Soeul airport (where I change planes) and then once mid- flight. I'll also set up a water bowl for him inside the case once I'm in the plane and periodically offer him food.

My girlfriend and I gave it a pretty good look in Bangkok to no avail. Looks like I'm going to order the same one as you. It feels bad paying $60 shipping for a $35 bag, but oh well. Thanks for all the help Sheryl. I hope you and your cat have an easy and safe flight.

Not a tripod Pats, re-read the thread. In the end, he kept the leg though lost 3/4 of the paw. And he is going to the US to have a paw pad transfer (like a skin graft but with paw pad tissue) from a Vet in Boston who pioneered it so that he will be able to walk directly on the stump.

in the meantime I make neoprene booties for him and eh walks quite well.

(Head over heels in love with this cat as you can see...)

• 2 weeks later...

Sheryl, i know he kept his leg. I just called him tripod because that was the name that might have been given to him had he lost his leg.

I am so glad that you are taking him to the States to get him well, please keep us up to date on his life, Do you have any new piccies of him, he sorta got into my heart too....!!