Can anyone relate to this?

khunpa

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

Don't you sometimes envy people that have a real nationality feeling of belonging to a certain country and being proud of it? I sometimes wish I had that feeling. But I just don't...

• Like 1

Well, not really. I was not brought up overseas like yourself so perhaps I still have a stronger sense of national identity but it's not something of which I would be envious. I have been here about 11 years and now find that neither Thailand nor the UK feels like my home, which as you say, makes me feel rootless. So, while I no longer feel like I belong in / to the UK, I maybe feel more British than I would if I had been raised abroad.

• Like 1

Do you know why this comes up now ?

I guess that u are around mid 40s of age.

If you know the answer of the why question.....u can get the solution.....soulsearching......

I dont have same background as you but i can understand the feeling...i.e...living it.....

I know though if i could be with my kids on a daily basis i could not care where it is......but better here in europe than in thailand.

Edited by benalibina

I'm fortunate I think, I was born in England and spent most of my life in Canada and love both. I feel connection with Aussies and Kiwis because of the Commonwealth and I often find myself feeling nationalistic for my cousins as well as my two home nations.

I wouldn't like the feeling of being rootless.

• Like 1

Yep, but I view it as a good thing. You end more more open minded, more accepting of differences in people / culture, everyone ends up on the same level playing field in your mind as we're all human, etc. Plus as you mentioned, settling into a new country is quite a bit easier compared to someone who has never left their home country.

Besides, I'd much rather be like that versus some tourists you see in say Cancun, Mexico. You know the type... all frustrated and screaming, because they're American, and the poor Mexican servants aren't at their beck and call exactly like they want.

• Like 2

Although I wasn't from an expat family, I have been travelling since I was 15, leaving home at this age. After being dragged up through the troubles in Belfast in the 60's and early 70's, travel was the only option available that would get me in the least trouble at the time..............rolleyes.gif

Since then to now, after travelling the world, I actually feel settled; I have lived static in Thailand longer than any other period in my life! I do still have family living in the UK, but apart from that (and my bank accounts & passport) these are the only roots remaining for me. However, this has never troubled me, and if circumstances dictated, visas approved, I could probably adapt anywhere in the world.

IMHO, it is not everyone that can be an expat. If your mind is not free to adapt, and accept, other people's ways of life, if you have trouble unhitching the life style and customs you have been taught as a child, if you are unwilling to solve problems by yourself without reliance of protective bodies, then you are going to have trouble starting your new adventure or continue living it happily.

Oh, and getting involved in the politics of your host country, in most cases to be seen to fit, doesn't actually help either.

Again, IMHO....................wink.png

• Like 2

Yes

Don't you sometimes envy people that have a real nationality feeling of belonging to a certain country and being proud of it? I sometimes wish I had that feeling. But I just don't...

That could have a lot to do with where you were born. So many countries have nothing to be proud about, thus instill little pride in native born. But, you have too much time on your hands. Do you overthink everything like this? No offense, but you must be a woman, or if not, should have been.

You will never feel at home in Thailand because the Thais don't want you. They want your money then you need to get out. It may feel familiar but that is the best it gets.

What you are feeling is just a phase that we all go through after being in a different country especially Thailand.

Frankly I like it.

• Like 2

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion, too.

John Lennon said it all.

I love my planet. Take a trip to space, and you will no longer suffer under a lack of belonging.

Home is where I hang my hat. It is my choice. Being born somewhere was not my choice.

Don't let Dawkins' meme control your choices.

Cape Cobra

• Like 1

Technically within the same country, but I grew up in Scotland to English parents. We then moved to London in my early teens. The two places were pretty different in terms of culture. Through childhood I was always the English kid. In my teens I was always the Scottish kid. Continually an outsider. I think it contributed to me having a slightly less patriotic or nationalistic outlook than those around me. There are certain things I love about all parts of the UK, but there are many things I'd like to see changed. This is the same way I now view Thailand.

You will never feel at home in Thailand because the Thais don't want you. They want your money then you need to get out. It may feel familiar but that is the best it gets.

What you are feeling is just a phase that we all go through after being in a different country especially Thailand.

Frankly I like it.

Bit Cynical Expat!!

OP, buy yourself a bottle of Sang Som, a pack of Krong Tip's, get smashed, smoke all the fags and then wait for your girlfriend to come home after she's been abused by some dirty old farang, beat her with a stick and then go to bed so you can start the whole process over again the next day.

There, do you feel like a Thai now:)

Frankly I like it.

Bit Cynical Expat!!

OP, buy yourself a bottle of Sang Som, a pack of Krong Tip's, get smashed, smoke all the fags and then wait for your girlfriend to come home after she's been abused by some dirty old farang, beat her with a stick and then go to bed so you can start the whole process over again the next day.

There, do you feel like a Thai now:)

Cynical followed by ....cynical...

• Like 2

Tug McGraw was an amazing pitcher who was instrumental in the Phillies winning the '80 World Series after coining the battle cry "ya gotta believe" for the Mets. He was once asked which he liked better; grass or astroturf to which he replied, "I never smoked astroturf".

The grass always seems greener until you get to the other side and find it's astroturf. If you're happy where you are, life is good.