Ed. Visa to Retirement

Good morning,

I'm hoping some learned soul can clarify the situation for me.

I'm presently on an Education Visa which expires in a couple of months and would like to remain in Thailand thereafter, on a retirement basis (I turn 50 next month). However, I've been given mixed information regarding the application process from Ed. Visa to retirement. I'd be very grateful for the correct procedure/requirements from those that know.

I've had the required 800'000 B in my Thai bank account for the past 6 weeks.

Many thanks in advance.

Do you have a visa or an extension of stay from immigration?

If you have an extension of stay based upon going to school you can apply for an extension based upon retirement instead of going to school. The money will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply. You may also need a letter from school stating you are no longer enrolled.

If a visa you can do it during the last 30 days of your 90 entry.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Joe.

I presently have an Ed. Visa (re-entry permit).
So, I can apply for retirement extension? at my local Immigration Office (IO), in the last few weeks before my current visa expires? I was initially told by an officer there that I would need to exit Thailand and obtain a non-O, then apply for an extension at the local IO. A few days ago, another officer said to come see him nearer the time of my visa expiration and he would "sort it out for me;" this may require a gratuity! :)

It's all new for me, so would appreciate clear clarification. Many thanks

You have an extension of stay now not a visa.

You can just apply for an extension based upon retirement up to 30 days before your current extension ends. There is no requirement for you to go out for a visa. You currently have a non immigrant visa entry that has been extended and that is all that is required.

• Like 1