Yamaha bikes no good?

I have just bought a new Honda PCX150, great bike. I have a Yamaha Fino customised bike, the one with the five lights at the front, and windshield, it is just over two years old and 9000 Ks. I paid 54000 Baht for it. I offered to sell it to a used bike dealer in my village. He looked at it, checked the green book and then offered me 17000 Baht for it. obviously I refused.

I then took my other bike, a Honda Wave, eight years old and 52000 Ks. He offered me 10000 Baht for it which I accepted. 7000 Baht difference between an almost new Fino, and an eight year old Wave?

Are Yamahas that bad that they lose their value so quickly compared to a Honda? If that is the case, then maybe people should think twice about buying a Yamaha, there are loads of Finos in my village.

Its not that the Yamahas are bad, but noone wants to buy a used Fino. The market makes the prices, not the quality.

OK, but why does no one want to buy a used Fino? If a bike or a car uses it's value so quickly, something must be wrong. When I lived in the UK, Fiat did not have a good reputation and lost their value very quickly. Your last sentence, who makes the market? The people, what they want to buy and what they won't, so, as I say, there must be something wrong with used Finos.

• Like 1

honda especially waves due to their reliability, cheap to maintain and bullet proof nature - especially the old ones - goes for higher second hand especially if you compare with scoots. Other semi autos mostly lose less as well.

I have around ten years old honda wave 125x and they give me like 17 k - 20 k thb for it so i can put 5 k on top and can buy a couple of years old honda click 125i !!!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 2

Its not that the Yamahas are bad, but noone wants to buy a used Fino. The market makes the prices, not the quality.

OK, but why does no one want to buy a used Fino? If a bike or a car uses it's value so quickly, something must be wrong. When I lived in the UK, Fiat did not have a good reputation and lost their value very quickly. Your last sentence, who makes the market? The people, what they want to buy and what they won't, so, as I say, there must be something wrong with used Finos.

I think you will find that the Fino was the most popular before Scoopy and may still be so. Especially with the go faster crowd, as there are lots of tune-up parts. So either the market is flooded with used Finos or there is some doubt about buying Finos because no-one knows the history of the bikes?

Motocy taxi guys at the end of my soi are about 50/50 Honda/Yamaha so there can't be much wrong with them?

Honda Waves are more popular in rural areas so maybe there is a used Wave network that makes them worth buying used.

You may find that its the fact that the Fino is customized that makes it unattractive to dealers. Customizing is about personal taste so the resale value is heavily affected due to the fact that its unlikely anyone else has the same taste as you.

They prefer stock clean bikes in their showrooms.

When I bought the customised Fino (I did not get it customised in any way) my wife and I went to the showroom to buy a new ordinary Fino. The customised one was sitting there, and the wife liked it, so did I, it was only 3000 Baht more than the normal one. So I bought it.

I think you will find that the Fino was the most popular before Scoopy and may still be so. Especially with the go faster crowd, as there are lots of tune-up parts. So either the market is flooded with used Finos or there is some doubt about buying Finos because no-one knows the history of the bikes?

Motocy taxi guys at the end of my soi are about 50/50 Honda/Yamaha so there can't be much wrong with them?

Honda Waves are more popular in rural areas so maybe there is a used Wave network that makes them worth buying used.

Another reason according to dealer for higher second hand value of honda wave is; you can leave the green book to bank or illegitimate loan guys and can get a higher loan!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, maybe your right, but I would think it was obvious that when something loses their value as much as this, there has to be something wrong somewhere.

Another reason according to dealer for higher second hand value of honda wave is; you can leave the green book to bank or illegitimate loan guys and can get a higher loan!

You may be right, but there has to be something wrong when the bike loses value like this.

You may be right, but there has to be something wrong when the bike loses value like this.

the fino is automatic the wave has gears....the wave uses less fuel.

the market is flooded with finance defaulted finos from young buyers looking to shine...you go to a bike auction there will be many more finos than waves. Working people buy waves, students with no income buy finos.

a rarer commodity always has a higher price.

• Like 1

best scooter under 60k is a yamaha nouvo sx so i dont think yamaha have "issues"

unless you want to stretch the budget up to 80 something K and get a pcx

just sell it online and you will get similar prices for honda /yamaha

dealers rarely give decent prices anyway as they aim to make a third

if not more of the transaction

Edited by speedtripler
  • Like 1

the fino is automatic the wave has gears....the wave uses less fuel.

the market is flooded with finance defaulted finos from young buyers looking to shine...you go to a bike auction there will be many more finos than waves. Working people buy waves, students with no income buy finos.

a rarer commodity always has a higher price.

A new wave 125 with a push start cost today 51000 baht, a new Fino (not customised) cost about 49000 baht two years ago. What would a dealer offer you for a two year old Fino compared to a Click today? I do not know the cost of a new click today. I would think you would get a lot more for the click.

He looked at it, checked the green book and then offered me 17000 Baht for it......

It's not too bad for a dealer.

No hassles with potential, annoying tire kicker, no haggling....

The Bike is more than two years old and has 9000K on the clock.

It also depends on the condition of the bike

Additionally an "all new" Fino with Fuel injection is sold since last year!

So, now you have just an "old model", which is absolutely uninteresting for Thais.

(They will lose face, if they arrive with such a "dinosaur") tongue.png

It's BS, but we all know them.....

Possum: You seem wedded to the idea that since an item experiences rapid depreciation there must be something wrong with it.

A new car sold and driven off the lot depreciates thousands of $, although there is nothing wrong with it.

You've heard this before, right?

The guys are trying to point out that subjective elements play a big part in determining market value, not only mechanical quality.

I for one would be turned off by a 'lady's bike' set up with with goofy headlights x 5,

although Finos and other Yamahas have served me & my family flawlessly since I bought my first in 1967.

Bottom line: Yamaha = good quality. Mak mak.

Better than Honda IMO.

Owning a little bike in Thailand is super cheap.

Just keep it.

It will likely still be worth about the same in a few years.

Why you gave up your faithful Wave for ~$300 is beyond me.

Edited by papa al

Eight year old honda will be worth something as this was about the last few years honda made decent quality bikes of this type. Fino cheaper and plentiful , so less demand , lower price.Yamaha is regarded in the industry as having the best build quality of the Japanese bikes and has had for 6 or 7 years.Dealer tried to rip you off , made better offer 2nd time.Yamaha Nouvo and Sparks are the best scooters by some way.papa al knows what he is talking about going on this and some of his other posts.

Edited by nigel jeffrey

maybe the dealer has enough finos out the back or he knows someone who wants a 2nd hand wave already so he knew hed get his money back same day + a bit extra ?

maybe try a differnt shop or sell it privately? ,dealers are not famous for paying top dollar for 2nd hand bikes anyway .....

The fino's just are no where as popular as the waves hands down. While the fino's are built for a boutique crowd & was the flavor of the day for a while the wave is a classic that all Thai's & farangs can arguably agree on. Nothing is wrong with the fino per se but the wave has the reputation that keeps it's resale value higher as for a great scooter bike from Yamaha their Nuovo elegance is still to me the best in class. Much more stable than the fino's somewhat hold their value(if the body cut is current) & is or seems to be faster than the PCX's.I have owned the Nuovo & rode the PCX for 3 months.The fino's like scoopy's are designed for younger kids or girls. While as mentioned Yamaha's big bikes are hella good & compete at every level in track world & certainly in the dirt!

Edited by Beardog

maybe the dealer has enough finos out the back or he knows someone who wants a 2nd hand wave already so he knew hed get his money back same day + a bit extra ?

maybe try a differnt shop or sell it privately? ,dealers are not famous for paying top dollar for 2nd hand bikes anyway .....

you do realize i was taking the piss?

As others have said, it has little enough to do with the brand (though Thais do slightly prefer Honda over Yamaha), it has to do with automatics. I bought a second hand approximatly six-year-old Click for a mere 5,000 baht just a few months ago, but get offers from Thais for 6-8k for my much older Wave 110 once in a while. Most Thais buy new, of course, but that small part of the market that buys used prefers Wave, Dream, and yes even Yamaha Spark or Nano, whatever they're calling it now.