Visa run to Nong Khai bridge but not Vientiane Laos

I'm considering doing a visa run to Udon Thani and then bus to Nong Khai bridge, cross into Laos (with a Visa on Arrival), and immediately return to Thailand, without making a trip into Vientiane. I'm on a USA passport and I'm expecting to receive a Thai 30 day visa exempt stamp when I enter Thailand. I don't think (or see the need) to visit Vientiane and any Embassy there. Am I wrong? If the Laos Visa application wants an hotel address in Laos, can I tell them I'm not over nighting?

You might do a visa run by starting in Khon Kaen.

Get yourself a visa for Lao in the consulate on Mithraparp Road.

Then take the direct bus to Vientiane from Khon Kaen.

At the Lao side of the bridge, as you have a visa for Lao already, no waiting needed.

Walk around the building, get on a shuttle bus to the Thai side of the bridge, and after that return home.

Might be cheaper and faster.

• Like 1

Yes, you don't have to go to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane if you only want to get a 30-day visa exemption. But you have to cross the Lao border (and get a Laotian visa on arrival then) before returning to Thailand.

PS: Forgot to say that you don't need to specify any address in Laos on your visa application. And you can write "RETURN" for your "Next Destination". Lao immigration officers are quite used to this kind of procedure.

Edited by GuyL

Thanks. As I'm living now in Bangkok, I was planning to fly to Udon Thani. I think to back track to Khon Kaen seems to be out of the way. Might I be better off to get the Visa from the Laos Embassy in Bangkok in advance, if getting it at the boarder might be a slow process?

Obtaining a visa on arrival for Laos at the border usually does not last more than half an hour (it is often even quicker than that), therefore, I don't think that it's necessary to get one in advance in your case.

• Like 1

I have done that many times now.

When you return ignore all the touts for buses to Udon,they ask farangs about 200 bahts, there is a ticket desk next to Nongkhai Direct near the 7-11 and the van bus is only 50bahts to udon Central Plaza.

Edited by theoldgit
Underlining removed.

Thanks. As I'm living now in Bangkok, I was planning to fly to Udon Thani. I think to back track to Khon Kaen seems to be out of the way. Might I be better off to get the Visa from the Laos Embassy in Bangkok in advance, if getting it at the boarder might be a slow process?

So you are only flying to Udon to make a border crossing in Nong Kai for a visa exempt entry.

You might want to check for flights to KL Malaysia with Air Asia where you don't pay for a visa (Lao 1500 baht or $35). You might find it to be not much more expensive than the total cost for what you have planned.

• Like 1

So you are only flying to Udon to make a border crossing in Nong Kai for a visa exempt entry.

You might want to check for flights to KL Malaysia with Air Asia where you don't pay for a visa (Lao 1500 baht or $35). You might find it to be not much more expensive than the total cost for what you have planned.

I agree, I did this a couple of times in the past

Lay over at LCC terminal only about 90 minutes

If I were to visit Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, are there any border crossings up in that area where I could go out and get my visa stamped in either Burma or Laos? Or is Nong Khai and Vientiane the better choices up north?

Instead of flying to udon how about getting the overnight sleeper train from Bangkok ( about 800 baht ) that will take you direct to nong khai. It's a maximum 15 minute walk to the bridge or you could get a tuk tuk for about 40 baht . To walk to the bridge turn left as you exit the station , you then come to the main road, turn left and cross the train lines continue straight to next junction ( not far ) its like a T junction and turn right and you're at the bridge.

Make sure you take a passport photograph with you for Laos visa and 35 us dollars ( about 1100 baht ) its cheaper to pay in dollars , 1500 if you pay in baht.

Exit Thailand getting you're passport stamped and wait for the bus just after you pass through immigration ( bus 15 baht )

On arrival in Laos go to winow 1 and get visa application and complete it , return it to same window with photograph and dollars and passport.

It usually takes about 15 minutes and you're passport is handed back to you at window 3 with you're visa and entry stamp so no need to queue at exit immigration , just walk straight through

Turn to you're left and accross the road is the duty free area for very cheap cigarettes.

Get you're exit stamp and catch the bus back (20 baht )

On arrival back in Thailand complete Thai entry visa form and then continue to immigration and you should receive you're 30 day visa exempt entry

I was planning to fly to Udon Thani. I think to back track to Khon Kaen seems to be out of the way. Might I be better off to get the Visa from the Laos Embassy in Bangkok in advance, if getting it at the boarder might be a slow process?

jup easy and fast. in udon AIRPORT take the minivan directly to friendship bridge. a pay a little bit more but very easy, fast and safe. thai/lao people take it too so it's NO farang trap. they pay the same price.

Perhaps OT, but are 30 day visa waivers for overland entry back in effect? Last I checked it was reduced to 15 days.

It is 30 days for those from the G7 countries since Nov. 1st of last year.. All others unless on a bilateral agreement get 15 days.

At the Lao side of the bridge, as you have a visa for Lao already, no waiting needed.

Walk around the building, get on a shuttle bus to the Thai side of the bridge, and after that return home.

Not necessary....just fly into udon, take the van for 75 baht to the ring road bus station (5 minutes from airport)....bus gets you there in 45 minutes. Khon Kaen is quite further...udon is on 50 kilometer or so. A flight to Udon is probably the same to Khon Kaen as it is to Udon. If you like, stay overnight in Udon....much better than Khon Kaen and Nong Khai.

Not necessary....just fly into udon, take the van for 75 baht to the ring road bus station (5 minutes from airport)....bus gets you there in 45 minutes. Khon Kaen is quite further...udon is on 50 kilometer or so. A flight to Udon is probably the same to Khon Kaen as it is to Udon. If you like, stay overnight in Udon....much better than Khon Kaen and Nong Khai.

Clarification.....if you fly to Udon from Bangkok or to Khon Kaen from Bangkok the price is the same. Cannot see why you would need to buy a visa in Khon Kaen for Laos............ you just show up at the border and pay in dollars...I think 35 or 36. Takes ten minutes. Udon is just easier to fly in and get to the bus. Make sure you tell him the bus station on Ring road closest to the airport. there are other bus stations...you do not want those. Van to bus station is 75 baht or less.....bus to Nong Khai is less than 75 baht.... finish off with a tuk tuk for another 50 baht...to get to the border.

Although I haven't done it for years it is certainly more pleasant to arrive at the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai already in possession of your Lao Visa. However I wouldn't make a special trip to Khon Kaen just to do so.

Yes, you can totally just turn right around. Stamp out of Thailand, take the bus across the bridge. Do visa-on-arrival application at the VOA window, stamp into Laos, make a U-turn to the exit queue - stamp out of Laos, cross back, and stamp back into Thailand. It might take about 1-3 hours for the whole thing, depending on how busy it is.

If you get there really early in the morning, there will be nobody there and it will take about 5 minutes to get the Laos visa. If you want to get one beforehand, find a local travel agent that can do it for you. No point in going to Khon Kaen.

Something new...

We live just down the road from Udon airport. I flew in to Udon 3 days ago.

My gal picked me up, and said there is a new service to Nong Khai from the Airport.

I think it is 200 per person...but I have not verified that.

Maybe somebody can verify this. We have our own vehicles, so I never inquired.

It would be a van(Limo) right by the exit door..

Just before you walk out of the terminal ..look right.