Too early to say if Thai Democrats will run in a fresh election: party official

webfact

Too early to say if Democrats will run: party official
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat party secretary-general Chuti Krairiksh said yesterday that it was too early for the party to decide whether to run in a fresh election after the February 2 election was nullified by the charter court last week. "We are ready [to contest an election] if the political turmoil ends. But the impasse is still continuing," he said.

He added that the government should take all responsibility for holding a fair and peaceful election. It is also the government's duty to ensure that the opposition candidates will not be threatened during their election campaigns.

Earlier, it was reported that the Democrats would yesterday ask for a secret ballot to vote on whether the party should join the election, and that most would vote to participate in the national poll rather than boycotting it as they did on February 2. Meanwhile yesterday, Democrat Party deputy leader Apirak Kosayodhin kicked off a party assembly to discuss proposals on how to reform Thailand.

Apirak represented party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, who is recovering from an injury, in launching the assembly at the Miracle Grand Hotel.

He presented a blueprint for reforming the country with seven aspects highlighted for members of the party to discuss.

Among other things, the Democrats will push for elections to select all provincial governors, restructuring of the economic system to reduce wealth disparity, and reform of the police, Apirak told the assembly.

An activist who earlier attempted to disrupt a seminar was hit and kicked as he tried to interrupt the assembly at the hotel.

Ake Auttagorn, who arrived with four women, was surrounded by ordinary members of the party who shouted at him and chased him from the fourth floor of the hotel to the lobby.

Party members accused him of being a "servant of Thaksin", to which he retorted that they were "servants of a dictator". During the commotion, someone hit Ake in the face, knocking off his sunglasses. Another jump-kicked him on the back.

He was taken out of the hotel by security officers.

Meanwhile, Abhisit was discharged from hospital after surgery for a fractured collarbone.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-29

To be sure, you will run in the next election , you will put up an alternative government , you must promote more from your grass roots members of the party , you don't have to have a degree to be a Prime Minister , just look at the knowledge the current one has, you must promote to the people ,at the people level , but most important of all , don't promise something that you cannot deliver.

• Like 1

"We are ready [to contest an election] if the political turmoil ends. But the impasse is still continuing,...."

Well, let me give the DP some free advice in case they decide to participate in the election, replacing the one they were fearful of:

My advice?..."Reform yourself before it"....

• Re-brand yourself,
  • Get a new leader who has a chance to relate to the diverse electorate,
  • Present policies not rooted in your own arrogance of "supreme political wisdom", but in the needs of that diverse electorate.
  • Commit to Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy. Quite trying to make a coup not seem to be a coup. 'Fess" up and straighten yourself out.
  • Avoid impulses to alienate yourself from majority voters not of your own station, such as bad-mouthing Thaksin and Yingluck and their huge electoral base. That may please your own minority but is "cutting off your nose to spite your face"

And what is this nonsense about political turmoil and impasse?....Trying to avoid calling a 'spade a spade' again?.........As if power plays to force one's way into power via means other than an election equates to "political turmoil and impasse"....Not sure whether to call that "illusions of grandeur".....or simply being embarrassed by one's own actions, hiding motives and trying to apply a normative political veneer to anti-democratic folderol.

What a bitter and uninformed soul you are.

• Like 1

"BANGKOK: -- Democrat party secretary-general Chuti Krairiksh said yesterday that it was too early for the party to decide whether to run in a fresh election after the February 2 election was nullified by the charter court last week. "We are ready [to contest an election] if the political turmoil ends. But the impasse is still continuing," he said."

By political turmoil I guess they mean the one they have been wholeheartedly supporting for the last few months?

As a party they have simply lost all credibility. And as another poster pointed out ANYBODY or whatever appointed as the number 1 of PTP would oversee a victory.

I nominate my ShiTzu, much cuter than all the others.

Actually I think they're talking about the turmoil created by PT's misrule over the past three years, the chaotic state of the rice scheme and the "give thaksin whatever he wants" amnesty bill.

Suthep's fascist council plans are as bad but that's not the Dems policy.

"BANGKOK: -- Democrat party secretary-general Chuti Krairiksh said yesterday that it was too early for the party to decide whether to run in a fresh election after the February 2 election was nullified by the charter court last week. "We are ready [to contest an election] if the political turmoil ends. But the impasse is still continuing," he said."

By political turmoil I guess they mean the one they have been wholeheartedly supporting for the last few months?

As a party they have simply lost all credibility. And as another poster pointed out ANYBODY or whatever appointed as the number 1 of PTP would oversee a victory.

Actually I think they're talking about the turmoil created by PT's misrule over the past three years, the chaotic state of the rice scheme and the "give thaksin whatever he wants" amnesty bill.

The Dems should contest the election with no further excuses no matter what or simply get out of politics.

They are a total disgrace to what they are supposed to stand for at the moment. As for Sutheps policies, they were with him from the start until he went way OTT and they have been distancing themselves ever since.

I agree the Dems should take part, from the start I said they were stupid not to do so last time round.

Initially they, like suthep, supported the original and legitimate protests over PT's corruption, but that's it. They are not responsible for suthep's lunacy and his fascist council, that was his wet dream alone.

Edited by Bluespunk

Getting rid of a leader who's facing murder charges would be a good start.

Or even one who takes their orders from a fugitive criminal who bears responsibility for much more bloodshed.

.......according to you. Not wanted on more than 90 murder charges though, is he?

• Like 1

The Dems can't rely on their Courts forever .... one day they will have to participate in the General Elections.

From where I come, if the (admittedly popular) Govt were as incompetent as the PTP, I would love to be the official Opposition in parliament - just think how easy it would be to highlight the Govt's flaws in parliamentary debates, and perhaps force modifications in the govt's policies for the better.

• Like 1

Or even one who takes their orders from a fugitive criminal who bears responsibility for much more bloodshed.

.......according to you. Not wanted on more than 90 murder charges though, is he?

No, not according to me, the truth is thaksin looked for a simplistic solution to a complex problem as usual. His solution led to a campaign of extra judicial murders. He is responsible.

Wanted assumes running away and hiding from justice [remind you of someone] rather than staying to face the charges in court.

Edited by Bluespunk

No, not according to me, the truth is thaksin looked for a simplistic solution to a complex problem as usual. His solution led to a campaign of extra judicial murders. He is responsible.

Wanted assumes running away and hiding from justice [remind you of someone] rather than staying to face the charges in court.

So, at the risk of repeating myself, not wanted for murder then. Unlike Abhisit who is facing more than 90 murder charges. Anyone can make wild unfounded allegations but formal murder charges are a matter of public record.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"We are ready [to contest an election] if the political turmoil ends. But the impasse is still continuing,...."

Well, let me give the DP some free advice in case they decide to participate in the election, replacing the one they were fearful of:

My advice?..."Reform yourself before it"....

• Re-brand yourself,
  • Get a new leader who has a chance to relate to the diverse electorate,
  • Present policies not rooted in your own arrogance of "supreme political wisdom", but in the needs of that diverse electorate.
  • Commit to Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy. Quite trying to make a coup not seem to be a coup. 'Fess" up and straighten yourself out.
  • Avoid impulses to alienate yourself from majority voters not of your own station, such as bad-mouthing Thaksin and Yingluck and their huge electoral base. That may please your own minority but is "cutting off your nose to spite your face"

And what is this nonsense about political turmoil and impasse?....Trying to avoid calling a 'spade a spade' again?.........As if power plays to force one's way into power via means other than an election equates to "political turmoil and impasse"....Not sure whether to call that "illusions of grandeur".....or simply being embarrassed by one's own actions, hiding motives and trying to apply a normative political veneer to anti-democratic folderol.

What a bitter and uninformed soul you are.

Truth is always a stinging rebuke.

• Like 1

Well I'm not sure they mean that at all otherwise they would have said so wouldn't they?

The statement is strange because it didn't seem so very long ago that they couldn't possibly contest the election because as abhisit put it, it wouldn't be "free and fair". Then there was the hurdle that an election simply couldn't take place until reforms had been implemented. Until abhisit realised that some reforms couldn't happen until there was an elected government in place.

Now, maybe. Will the "new" elections be "free and fair" enough for abhisit and his fellow political lightweights to participate, definitely, maybe.

"Democrat" Party pragmatism, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 2

they cast there votes and the Dems kept a'comin

but there wasn't as many as there was awhile ago

the Dems were a'thinking shall we stand for election

The PDRC decided to go a'marching

they cast there votes and the Dems kept a'comin

the Dems were a'thinking shall we stand for election

The PDRC decided to go a'marching

LOL

A "Johnie Horton" special!...he would never have dreamed in his wildest dreams it would be used this way.

Creative or what!

@spalpeen

Quote you:

So, at the risk of repeating myself, not wanted for murder then. Unlike Abhisit who is facing more than 90 murder charges. Anyone can make wild unfounded allegations but formal murder charges are a matter of public record.

Me:

Not wanted for that crime, but, at the risk of repeating myself, still a wanted fugitive criminal too cowardly to face the courts.

The blood of the war on drugs campaign extra judicial killings is all over his hands though. One hopes he will face justice for his role in those murders.

Not under PT of course, but one day when there is a law abiding government.

Edited by Bluespunk

Well I'm not sure they mean that at all otherwise they would have said so wouldn't they?

The statement is strange because it didn't seem so very long ago that they couldn't possibly contest the election because as abhisit put it, it wouldn't be "free and fair". Then there was the hurdle that an election simply couldn't take place until reforms had been implemented. Until abhisit realised that some reforms couldn't happen until there was an elected government in place.

Now, maybe. Will the "new" elections be "free and fair" enough for abhisit and his fellow political lightweights to participate, definitely, maybe.

"Democrat" Party pragmatism, nothing more, nothing less.

To be honest I agree with you in certain aspects here. From a different perspective of course.

They are being pragmatic because they realise that boycotting the last election was a stupid move.

Good, they learn from their mistakes, if only all parties would.

• Like 1

As expected, the Democratic party is well away from a decision on this. And the reality of it is that they actually don't have to make a definite decision until the day they would need to register. The last decision was made just two days prior to the day that they needed to register. The Democratic party is being called a pragmatic party by some. Yes, indeed it is. Like all other parties. And one of the rules of politics is always to leave yourself leg room. Those who don't ( and there's a sea of them right now ) find they inadvertently box themselves in. The Democratic party doesn't want to box itself in. ( Of course, they know there are always people who will speak on their behalf, so no vacuum is created as far as they are concerned ! ) But to be honest, nobody really knows how any of this will play out. The Democratic party has been consistent that they want an election that is free and fair, and by that they mean free from the influence of a certain man in Dubai, who has the unmistakable ability to tilt the system in a way it was not designed to be tilted. Abhisit has come out for a referendum on reform, on allowing reform discussions to take place. It is a fabulous idea. And it is popular. If recent polls are any indication, it would pass. But no one really expects Pheu Thai to go that route, because they truly are set against reform. So an election now would present no change. And that is why the Democratic party is so indecisive. Public opinion right now puts both parties in the 20s. The Thai people have moved beyond partisan politics. But the public does show a convincing support for reform. Ultimately, the stalemate will be resolved by the courts, as is what is supposed to happen.

As expected, the Democratic party is well away from a decision on this. And the reality of it is that they actually don't have to make a definite decision until the day they would need to register. The last decision was made just two days prior to the day that they needed to register. The Democratic party is being called a pragmatic party by some. Yes, indeed it is. Like all other parties. And one of the rules of politics is always to leave yourself leg room. Those who don't ( and there's a sea of them right now ) find they inadvertently box themselves in. The Democratic party doesn't want to box itself in. ( Of course, they know there are always people who will speak on their behalf, so no vacuum is created as far as they are concerned ! ) But to be honest, nobody really knows how any of this will play out. The Democratic party has been consistent that they want an election that is free and fair, and by that they mean free from the influence of a certain man in Dubai, who has the unmistakable ability to tilt the system in a way it was not designed to be tilted. Abhisit has come out for a referendum on reform, on allowing reform discussions to take place. It is a fabulous idea. And it is popular. If recent polls are any indication, it would pass. But no one really expects Pheu Thai to go that route, because they truly are set against reform. So an election now would present no change. And that is why the Democratic party is so indecisive. Public opinion right now puts both parties in the 20s. The Thai people have moved beyond partisan politics. But the public does show a convincing support for reform. Ultimately, the stalemate will be resolved by the courts, as is what is supposed to happen.

As the country does actually need governing by some faction or other, ( leaving out peoples councils etc).

Couldn't all parties contest an election with each of them confirming that within a fixed period of time a referendum relating to reforms will be carried out.

The ongoing reforms before elections is a non starter, the country needs to get back to what passes for normal as soon as possible, no matter what party is freely and fairly elected to power.

• Like 1

As the country does actually need governing by some faction or other, ( leaving out peoples councils etc).

Couldn't all parties contest an election with each of them confirming that within a fixed period of time a referendum relating to reforms will be carried out.

The ongoing reforms before elections is a non starter, the country needs to get back to what passes for normal as soon as possible, no matter what party is freely and fairly elected to power.

Don't be sensible. This whole issue isn't about reform. Its about squshing the shinawatras.

• Like 1

Don't be sensible. This whole issue isn't about reform. Its about squshing the shinawatras.

Same thing isn't it? Get rid of this bunch of Shin's and you automatically achieve reform.

Dems can't announce participation in an upcoming election, such a declaration would put them at odds with the demand by Suthep for reform prior to elections

Reality is...... to distance themselves from Suthep would see their feeble chances of an election victory plummet

Quite simply they are Hedging and hoping Suthep or the courts do the necessary in advance of elections

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1