Wanna buy a house in Thailand with your Thai wife / GF? Think twice and DON'T DO IT.

gp2002

It would be interesting to hear from members who actually operate an 'Amity company' in Thailand regarding the following :

Under the Treaty, Thailand is permitted to apply the following restrictions to American and other foreign investment: owning land; engaging in the business of inland communications; inland transportation; fiduciary functions; banking involving depository functions; engaging in domestic trade in indigenous agricultural products; and exploiting land or other natural resources.

http://www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com/company/amity-registration/

Edit : Just found the answer in this thread : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/546623-owning-land-under-the-us-amity-treaty/

Why are you an American thinking of investing in Thailand? The link you posted has no factual information on owning a Treaty of Amity company.

Both links lead to plenty of factual information for those who can read.

Here's another : http://www.amchamthailand.com/acct/asp/general.asp?MenuCatID=5&MenuItemID=168&SponsorID=0

"The 1966 iteration of the Treaty allows U.S. citizens and businesses incorporated in the U.S., or in Thailand that are majority-owned by U.S. citizens, to engage in business on the same basis as Thai companies (national treatment), exempting them from most restrictions on foreign investment imposed by the Foreign Business Act."

So in short, Amity businesses are not Thai companies and therefore cannot own land.

You're welcome.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714194-foreignor-owning-land-in-thailand/#entry7622229

Only a US company under the Amity treaty can own land

Somsak Lawyer

So the Thai Visa lawyer does not agree with you. There is already a thread running on this very issue. Why don't you post that you know more about the law than the Thai Visa lawyer and straighten him out.

Unless you don't really want the correct answer. Because a US company under the Amity treaty can own land.

Your welcome.

Somsak's interpretation of the law seems to be at odds with countless other interpretations, including that of the Thai-American chamber of commerce (as per my link).

whistling.gif

Edit : just Google this search phrase "Amity treaty"+"owning land" and see what comes up.

Edited by Trembly

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

robblok, you trusted your betrothed so much you needed a pre-nup? How did it go? My understanding out here is divorce is generally 50/50 but I may be wrong. Try divorce in the West with a couple of kids after 2 years and let me know how much it cost you.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah yes because in Thailand you dont have to pay for the kids you can just ditch them and dont care about them. Many guys just escape to Thailand and dont pay for their kids. In my eyes they are trash (those guys)

But again your comparing apples with oranges. At least in the west you can protect your assets if you want too. But most guys aren't smart enough to do so. I am all for paying up for the time spend together and compensating her but I am against her owning half of what i previously owned (West situation not Thailand)

As for the pre nup.. im just sensible, why would i want my previous owned house go to a girl who did not pay a dime for it. So that is why I had a pre nup and it saved me. I still had to pay alimony but that was it and because the marriage was not long I did not have to pay that long either.

In the UK there is no way, as a man in a relationship with a woman, to protect your assets (Vasectomy and prenup before marriage might swing it).

One baby, and a judge can take it all, not only existing assets, but a large chunk of everything you earn for the next 19 years.

Prenups in the UK are invalidated by child birth.

America, even worse, as a husband you can be forced to pay child support for any child you allow to live in your household, even if from a previous relationship. Even if you believed the child to be yours, but subsequently find out it isn't.

In Europe, the Nordic countries are usually even harder on men.

Edited by BritManToo

robblok, you trusted your betrothed so much you needed a pre-nup? How did it go? My understanding out here is divorce is generally 50/50 but I may be wrong. Try divorce in the West with a couple of kids after 2 years and let me know how much it cost you.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah yes because in Thailand you dont have to pay for the kids you can just ditch them and dont care about them. Many guys just escape to Thailand and dont pay for their kids. In my eyes they are trash (those guys)

But again your comparing apples with oranges. At least in the west you can protect your assets if you want too. But most guys aren't smart enough to do so. I am all for paying up for the time spend together and compensating her but I am against her owning half of what i previously owned (West situation not Thailand)

As for the pre nup.. im just sensible, why would i want my previous owned house go to a girl who did not pay a dime for it. So that is why I had a pre nup and it saved me. I still had to pay alimony but that was it and because the marriage was not long I did not have to pay that long either.

In the UK there is no way, as a man in a relationship with a woman, to protect your assets (Vasectomy and prenup before marriage might swing it).

One baby, and a judge can take it all, not only existing assets, but a large chunk of everything you earn for the next 19 years.

Prenups in the UK are invalidated by child birth.

America, even worse, as a husband you can be forced to pay child support for any child you allow to live in your household, even if from a previous relationship. Even if you believed the child to be yours, but subsequently find out it isn't.

In Europe, the Nordic countries are usually even harder on men.

And you don't feel you have an obligation to your child.. its only normal to have to pay for support of your child.

Seems you have a problem paying for children you are the father of.

Prenups always seem to help, I know they do in the Netherlands. Of course they won't help you if you father a kid and rightly so.

And you don't feel you have an obligation to your child.. its only normal to have to pay for support of your child.

Prenups always seem to help, I know they do in the Netherlands. Of course they won't help you if you father a kid and rightly so.

I don't feel any obligation to my children unless,

1. I get an equal choice in the decision to birth or abort.

2. I get 50% custody.

While the entire decision to breed is 'up to her', the entire responsibility for the child must also be 'up to her'.

Having a baby doesn't give a woman the right to a free ride off me for the rest of her life.

But actually, in the UK, apparently it does.

Her body, her decision, the guys responsibility.

And not to mention, in the USA, as I already pointed out, you don't even need to be the father, you can be made to pay.

Edited by BritManToo

Why are you an American thinking of investing in Thailand? The link you posted has no factual information on owning a Treaty of Amity company.

Both links lead to plenty of factual information for those who can read.

Here's another : http://www.amchamthailand.com/acct/asp/general.asp?MenuCatID=5&MenuItemID=168&SponsorID=0

"The 1966 iteration of the Treaty allows U.S. citizens and businesses incorporated in the U.S., or in Thailand that are majority-owned by U.S. citizens, to engage in business on the same basis as Thai companies (national treatment), exempting them from most restrictions on foreign investment imposed by the Foreign Business Act."

So in short, Amity businesses are not Thai companies and therefore cannot own land.

You're welcome.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714194-foreignor-owning-land-in-thailand/#entry7622229

Somsak Lawyer

So the Thai Visa lawyer does not agree with you. There is already a thread running on this very issue. Why don't you post that you know more about the law than the Thai Visa lawyer and straighten him out.

Unless you don't really want the correct answer. Because a US company under the Amity treaty can own land.

Your welcome.

Somsak's interpretation of the law seems to be at odds with countless other interpretations, including that of the Thai-American chamber of commerce (as per my link).

whistling.gif

Edit : just Google this search phrase "Amity treaty"+"owning land" and see what comes up.

The American chamber of commerce does not say an American company cannot own land. Feel free to quote and prove me wrong. Exploit and own are two different words.

Mr Somsak as far as I can see is the Thai Visa lawyer and posted, " a US company under the Amity treaty can own land." He is posting on Thaivisa. If you think you know more about the law than him why not ask him? Or do you just want to googlebash your way to more nonsense?

There is a thread open about the Treaty of Amity. Why waste bandwidth with your odd theories here?

http://www.thaivisa....d/#entry7622229

2. I get 50% custody.

While the entire decision to breed is 'up to her', the entire responsibility for the child must also be 'up to her'.

Having a baby doesn't give a woman the right to a free ride off me for the rest of her life.

And not to mention, in the USA, as I already pointed out, you don't even need to be the father, you can be made to pay.

If you don't want kids don't have sex. Easy. If you don't want kids have a vasectomy. Easy.

No one is ever going to give you a choice over a woman's body and they should not.

I find your post adolescent at best. Boy are you gonna have fun in court later in life when you reach puberty.

• Like 1

Somsak Lawyer

Your welcome.

whistling.gif

The American chamber of commerce does not say an American company cannot own land. Feel free to quote and prove me wrong. Exploit and own are two different words.

Mr Somsak as far as I can see is the Thai Visa lawyer and posted, " a US company under the Amity treaty can own land." He is posting on Thaivisa. If you think you know more about the law than him why not ask him? Or do you just want to googlebash your way to more nonsense?

There is a thread open about the Treaty of Amity. Why waste bandwidth with your odd theories here?

It doesn't get much clearer than this.

Do be aware though, that the following restrictions still apply to companies formed under the auspices of the Treaty:

• Owning land
  • Engaging in the business of inland communication
  • Engaging in inland transportation and communication industries
  • Engaging in fiduciary functions
  • Engaging in banking involving depository functions
  • Engaging in domestic trade in indigenous agricultural products
  • Exploiting land or other natural resources

Link : http://bit.ly/1pEfOT9

2. I get 50% custody.

What drivel some people post.

Then again i should realize intelligence isn't distributed equally.

You got the choice to use a condom, you can have a vasectomy, you can decide not to have sex.

Then its not the girl that gets a free ride, you pay upkeep for the kid and that is separate from the alimony for the ex wife. It is of course easier for those of us who want to exaggerate and feel victimized to lump these two up and act if they are the same. Also it is not for the rest of her life but until the kid is an adult. (again whole life sounds far more dramatic). Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Also (could be wrong here) but i know its like this in other countries. The duration of the alimony is based on the duration of the relation and in my opinion that is a fair system. If you have a wife that you keep home and has no income and she is with you for years you will have to pay more upkeep as if you have one for a short period and if she has her own money she can even have to pay you.

You are acting like if you get married and after a year divorced your screwed for life.. the guys who have those long payments are often the guys that have been with their wives for over 10 years and kept her home to raise the kids.

I do get your point on custody and seeing your kids seems only right.

whistling.gif

It doesn't get much clearer than this.

Do be aware though, that the following restrictions still apply to companies formed under the auspices of the Treaty:

• Owning land
  • Engaging in the business of inland communication
  • Engaging in inland transportation and communication industries
  • Engaging in fiduciary functions
  • Engaging in banking involving depository functions
  • Engaging in domestic trade in indigenous agricultural products
  • Exploiting land or other natural resources

Link : http://bit.ly/1pEfOT9

That refers to owning land as in engaging in a company who makes a profit by owning land. Land development companies and the like. You are out of your depth. If google could answer complicated questions no one would need lawyers. I know you are upset that Americans have an advantage over you. Get used to it. They spent hundreds of billions of dollars in economic and military assistance to get the Treaty of Amity. You haven't got the guts to post a question to the lawyer so why should I explain things to you? The topic is already open. Only a US company under the Amity treaty can own land.

The rest of your googling posts to argue I will answer in the same way.

Only a US company under the Amity treaty can own land.

Thai Visa did a good thing with that Ask the Lawyer forum. People like you who think you are so smart will finally get their comeuppance. If you are correct no problem ask the Lawyer.

But you haven't got the guts.rolleyes.gif

Edited by thailiketoo

My understanding is that it is very expensive to set up an Amity corporation, not at all worth doing except for relatively large, genuine operating profit-making enterprises.

If it is manufacturing something, operating a retail premises, can own the minimum land required for that purpose.

Not at all worth doing as a "shell" to try to get around the intent of Thai law and buy a home for the owner.

That refers to owning land as in engaging in a company who makes a profit by owning land. Land development companies and the like. You are out of your depth. If google could answer complicated questions no one would need lawyers. I know you are upset that Americans have an advantage over you. Get used to it. They spent hundreds of billions of dollars in economic and military assistance to get the Treaty of Amity. You haven't got the guts to post a question to the lawyer so why should I explain things to you? The topic is already open. Only a US company under the Amity treaty can own land.

The rest of your googling posts to argue I will answer in the same way.

Only a US company under the Amity treaty can own land.

Thai Visa did a good thing with that Ask the Lawyer forum. People like you who think you are so smart will finally get their comeuppance. If you are correct no problem ask the Lawyer.

But you haven't got the guts.rolleyes.gif

You keep citing that one link from Somsak who does not cite legislation or anything else.

There are reams and reams more detailed material available via Google. Can you read Thai? If you can I will show you the exact wording of the law in Thai which is very concise.

We can ask your friend Somsak if you want... I'll put the relevant legislation to him in Thai and whoever is wrong is to put 5000 baht in an agreed charity with proof of transfer uploaded to Thai Visa Forum.

Deal?

Edited by Trembly

Basicslly if you font want to loose lots of money. Dont stay in Asia.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you do not want to lose money anywhere....don't be a stupid arse....simple.

But stupid arse's are required to make the world go round.....tis the way of the world.

Edited by Showbags

My understanding is that it is very expensive to set up an Amity corporation, not at all worth doing except for relatively large, genuine operating profit-making enterprises.

If it is manufacturing something, operating a retail premises, can own the minimum land required for that purpose.

Not at all worth doing as a "shell" to try to get around the intent of Thai law and buy a home for the owner.

That was my understanding. If you want to build a company and own the land necessary to do that, no problem. The point is one can own 100% legally and that is the advantage.

I guess it would be kind of you if you would your OP to show in Isaan blog also.

There are many many overaged (second childhood) men and they are very upset if some-one mentions their walking ATM (but very happy and high valued) life.

What was your bad luck doesn't mean it will happen to everyone. There are legal options available, you can just lease a Thai name if there's a doubt. This issue is really about every other country in the world where you're not a citizen other then America or (not sure if still true) Italy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The scamming lawyers in league with the corrupt land office bureaucrats work together to convince foreigners to enter into all kinds of schemes to try to get around the law.

Down the road there's a "crackdown" and all those illegally obtained titles are null and void, you think they're handing out refunds?

You think the Thai scammers will see any consequences? No in fact they are heroes, brought in billions of foreign currency in exchange for worthless bits of paper.

In the very lucrative beach resort areas some even team up with the women that convince the farang to "invest" here, and then somehow all the legal papers get new signatures one day and the farang's out on his butt having sunk all his savings into real estate.

My suggestion? Don't buy only rent.

Basicslly if you font want to loose lots of money. Dont stay in Asia.

If you do not want to lose money anywhere....don't be a stupid arse....simple.

But stupid arse's are required to make the world go round.....tis the way of the world.

I beleive even if your not a 'stupid arse' Thai law makes it difficult for the farang. Especially when it comes to land or property. I still love it here mind you.

The scamming lawyers in league with the corrupt land office bureaucrats work together to convince foreigners to enter into all kinds of schemes to try to get around the law.

Down the road there's a "crackdown" and all those illegally obtained titles are null and void, you think they're handing out refunds?

You think the Thai scammers will see any consequences? No in fact they are heroes, brought in billions of foreign currency in exchange for worthless bits of paper.

In the very lucrative beach resort areas some even team up with the women that convince the farang to "invest" here, and then somehow all the legal papers get new signatures one day and the farang's out on his butt having sunk all his savings into real estate.

I dont know why this is so difficult to comprehend.

It is a lease life, no matter where you are

the ability to be mobile, all the better

Try getting old, at some point the desire to put down roots or to just settle the rest of time is compromisingly agreeable.

If you can prove the money came from you.. and you didnt signt the "waiver form" at the land office when she conveniently asked you to attend the meeting there to sort out the chinot after final mortgage payment made.. you might be able to fight her for it in court.. possibly.

Try getting old, at some point the desire to put down roots or to just settle the rest of time is compromisingly agreeable.

try getting old?

that's preposterous!,

who would, "try" to get old?

I would rather live life as I did as a highschooler.

that seems to be the mindset of the thai girls anyway, so,

I fit right in

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Okay, complain but then what's your suggestion? Legal papers in this country is gold & hassle free.

Sarcasm one on one...

Just thought I would make a short post on behalf of that rare breed of normal person (ok normal-ish I ll be honest)

Bought property in the wife s name. 2 kids. Happily married. Not always a perfect life but we work at it :)

In the UK we d probably buy in joint names. As here we couldnt easily the property is in her name. Other assets in my name only to give a similar overall effect. Also good for inheritance tax purposes to have some in your wife s name.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app