Wanna buy a house in Thailand with your Thai wife / GF? Think twice and DON'T DO IT.

gp2002

Britman is so correct.

I just don't get it. WHY BUY PROPERTY. IN THE GF OR JOINT NAME . It doesn't make sense.

Oh beforall the happily married members jump on me.

Fact is if relationship isn't polluted by financial sticky tape it has a better chance. REN RENT RENT. If your with her for some years and split, do the right thing. Give her some cash.

On a financial advice level real estate here does not add up. Stick your money into other assets and rent. My super fund went up 18% last year. I kid you not. And that's tax free.

Why buy.

• Like 1

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure that is what the boyfriend of the girl I was with thought, when they built two houses in the north country, the first for the mother to live in, and the second, for income, and land appreciation, until they had their last fight 4 years ago, and she kicked him out.

He was Thai. she is Thai, they were building for the future, until he became fed up with her family, and demonstrated it to them verbally and symbolically,

Saving face?

He lost all he spent with her, and she, put up with his cheating, until he turned on the mother.

Many people think 6 months in Thailand wasnt enough for me to get a real feel for it,

I disagree.

The experience of many, was not lost on me, AND, one need not make his own mistakes when the glaring results of others are everywhere

So what lesson did you take from the above story

not to Build a life with your wife, or not to cheat in her, and destroy that life?

Like I said it's all about choices

I don't cheat anymore.

I did with my first wife, and it slowly spread.

I didnt cheat with the second, but was accused of it all the time, until one day after 9 years, I stated plainly,

"if you are going to punish me for a crime I didnt commit, expect the crimes to begin"

we parted ways not soon after.

the moral of the above story?

the mother is the problem.

Everything that poor thai dude went thru, would be my future, and I have told her that.

In 6 months, I instilled my western values in her and she either throws off the mother and her conninvances for money from her,

or she stays enslaved,

I am not her father, just a boyfriend with no rights

Edited by Scarpolo

Britman is so correct.

I just don't get it. WHY BUY PROPERTY. IN THE GF OR JOINT NAME . It doesn't make sense.

Fact is if relationship isn't polluted by financial sticky tape it has a better chance. REN RENT RENT. If your with her for some years and split, do the right thing. Give her some cash.

On a financial advice level real estate here does not add up. Stick your money into other assets and rent. My super fund went up 18% last year. I kid you not. And that's tax free.

Why buy.

Because you are going to pay rent to someone. Why not pay it to the person you love?

Let her buy the house and you make the payments in the same amount you would pay for rent.

Sorry, OP, you are in the wrong country and you have the wrong mentality.

You buy a house for your wife, because you can't own it, so to please not only her but most of all yourself.

Don't listen to "Wym" (never buy, always rent).

Completely different to have your own place than living in somebody else's house.

But again, you would have been paying for the rent, anyway.

Now if you are unlucky, and things don't work out, the fault can always be from both sides.

Life always is carrying on.

If you were living in Europe or the USA and got divorced with kids, you would have got exactly what you are getting here, nothing.

From what you say, you didn't even put any money towards the initial buying, you only paid the bank.

And you have the cheek to ask for money back.

No my friend, it doesn't work that way, and you have no right to ask for any money.

Good Luck, with your next wife or G/f.

"Yes it's completely different to have your own place instead of living in somebody else's place"

The main problem here is that you don't live in your own place. But actually live in somebody else's place.

• Like 2

If you were living in Europe or the USA and got divorced with kids, you would have got exactly what you are getting here, nothing.

Same, same, but different

I don't know anyone at home that got divorced and got nothing. They split it between the two involved of course

I don't know anyone at home that got divorced and got nothing. They split it between the two involved of course

We don't really know each other but I got nothing twice and the third time I got nothing plus her debts.

So now you kinda know someone who got nothing and less than nothing. Or maybe that is more than nothing. Anyway I made the payments on a house I did not get.

• Like 1

If you're on the other side of the world, you're not a BF anymore, either an ex or a sucker.

I'll choose door #3

not everyone fits into your world view.

I am on the lookout for the pay me not to work call or facebook message,

although, I do not expect it.

If it does come, it'll just be a real shame.

I dont think it is coming, and there was no mention of this before I left,

I was living by your rules Wym

I was divorced in the UK and got nothing.

All my male friends (who had children under age 16) and were divorced in the UK got nothing either.

Worse than nothing really, lost their home outright, half their pension and 20% of their salary until the kids were age 19. I'm thinking women in the UK know the deals on offer and deliberately choose divorce while the children are at an age to get mum everything. But I might be a bit cynical.

Couples with no children, or with grownup children generally had a better divorce deal.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

How many times have we seen these posts on this forum? Why on earth would anybody come to a foreign country, where they have NO rights, meet a girl in a bar or wherever, and buy a house in her name, knowing that they have NO legal claim on this house? There are so many people here who are at the mercy of these girls, 'ah but mine is different, she really loves me etc etc' This is nonsense. Would they do this back in their home country? Meet a girl, get their sucked for the first time in twenty years, and then buy her a house? In her name? Probably a girl who is half their age? Thinking they will live happily ever after? Because she really loves me? Of course not, absolutely laughable. Nobody really knows the history of these girls, despite what they may think. A little anecdote. A few months ago i was invited to an engagement party, an American in his fifties, i didn't know him, a nice guy who was sitting proudly with his new love, a few of us were sat round on the sofa at my friends house( who was hosting the party). In a very loud voice he was telling everybody in earshot that she had never worked in a bar, was going back to the USA with him etc etc. I asked him very politely where he had met her, he said she was buying a telephone and he got chatting to her. Probably about half a dozen times he repeatedly said he was so lucky because she had never worked in a bar. Anyone could see that she was so embarrassed when he kept repeating this, totally humiliated. She shot me a few helpless looks with an almost pleading look on her face. She was a really nice lady. I know this for a fact because i had bar fined her on a few occasions a year or so previously! Of course i didn't let on, i am a gentleman! But it just goes to show how easily it is to believe something you want to believe over here. Despite all this 'mine is different' nonsense', nobody really knows!

I also think it's very funny when people post here. Or when you neet somebody with their girlfriend/wife in Thailand. And they write/say my wife have never worked in a bar or as a prostitute.

Have you ever neet someone in your home country telling you that?

Edited by larsjohnsson

In California,

they have the 4 year look back rule,

4 years prior to the divorce, your income becomes her future royalty payment.

if there are kids, expect child support into college and miss a payment, she goes to the judge,

people in Thailand dont know they're better off,

and to the OP, what could have been the mortgage payment, 30,000 baht, MAX?

wow

But if she miss a payment, he goes to the judge;)

I also think it's very funny when people post here. Or when you neet somebody with their girlfriend/wife in Thailand. And they write/say my wife have never worked in a bar or as a prostitute.

I also think it is funny when a man is wrong and tries to change the topic instead of admit he was wrong.biggrin.png

To be perfectly blunt, nobody I knew in the UK had a wife that looked like a prostitute.

I do know some guys in Sweden who have wives that really do look like prostitutes (want to guess their country of birth?).

I do know a lot of foreign guys in Thailand whose wives are (or appear to have been) prostitutes.

And finally, how would any guy know what his wife or gf did for an occupation before he turned up?

But generally I avoid contact with guys who drag women around with them.

Sorry, I don't want to meet your wife or gf!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I also think it is funny when a man is wrong and tries to change the topic instead of admit he was wrong.biggrin.png

Wrong about what???

To be perfectly blunt, nobody I knew in the UK had a wife that looked like a prostitute.

I do know some guys in Sweden who have wives that really do look like prostitutes.

I do know a lot of foreign guys in Thailand whose wives are (or appear to have been) prostitutes.

And finally, how would any guy know what his wife or gf did for an occupation before he turned up?

But generally I avoid contact with guys who drag women around with them.

Sorry, I don't want to meet your wife or gf!

I didn't even know that I have a wife or gf ?

All I can say is some guys are so cheap and selfish. If he had got divorced in Canada he would have been lucky to get anything. Here he has to just walk away and complains. Houses are so cheap here to give them to the wife is less cost than giving her the family car. Get real if when things go bad in a relationship a home isnot a home investment anymore its a house investment which is so wrong. When a couple buy a home together the investment is in the family and being together. If the relationship ends real men walk away from the shattered deam and get on with their lives. They donot count the pennies they spent while together.

Britman is so correct.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

First because your home is your castle, you do to it what ever you want and you make it yours,

can you do that with a rental?

You can personalize it, add to it or remove from it. can you do that with a rental?

and if the fancy hits, set it on fire and play the violin while you watch it burn, Can you do that with a rental.

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

And if you really love your wife and children, , and care what happens to her, one day when you die,they are provided with a house to live in.

All I can say is some guys are so cheap and selfish. If he had got divorced in Canada he would have been lucky to get anything. Here he has to just walk away and complains. Houses are so cheap here to give them to the wife is less cost than giving her the family car. Get real if when things go bad in a relationship a home isnot a home investment anymore its a house investment which is so wrong. When a couple buy a home together the investment is in the family and being together. If the relationship ends real men walk away from the shattered deam and get on with their lives. They donot count the pennies they spent while together.

you havent been here long enough to see that some (not all ) women make a career out of scamming farangs for money and property

thats all

nothing to do with a relationship running its due course and letting her keep the house at the end ,if the end is a couple of months after the start and she is 1 house richer and you are 1 house poorer.............:D

i dont think its about counting the pennies spent together as you refer ,more an out and ot resentment of being conned/scammed/played etc

Wrong about what???

You wrote, "I don't know anyone at home that got divorced and got nothing. They split it between the two involved of course"

That is not the norm and you probably know it. If you don't; now you do. Thank the people for educating you.

• Like 1

its a national pastime lining up farang suckers to get them to build a house then relieve them of it .

bernard trink to stickman has warned of the perils over more than 20 years ,but still the suckers keep on a coming .and then return home potless

• Like 1

its a national pastime lining up farang suckers to get them to build a house then relieve them of it .

bernard trink to stickman has warned of the perils over more than 20 years ,but still the suckers keep on a coming .and then return home potless

And it's the losers which keep coming back & spouting about, "ol, damn woman took everything!"... Maybe thus or those should check their age &/or look in a mirror sometime. Not everyone got a dud!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sorry, OP, you are in the wrong country and you have the wrong mentality.

You buy a house for your wife, because you can't own it, so to please not only her but most of all yourself.

Don't listen to "Wym" (never buy, always rent).

Completely different to have your own place than living in somebody else's house.

But again, you would have been paying for the rent, anyway.

Now if you are unlucky, and things don't work out, the fault can always be from both sides.

Life always is carrying on.

From what you say, you didn't even put any money towards the initial buying, you only paid the bank.

And you have the cheek to ask for money back.

No my friend, it doesn't work that way, and you have no right to ask for any money.

Good Luck, with your next wife or G/f.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

First because your home is your castle, you do to it what ever you want and you make it yours,

You can personalize it, add to it or remove from it. can you do that with a rental?

and if the fancy hits, set it on fire and play the violin while you watch it burn, Can you do that with a rental.

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

And if you really love your wife and children, , and care what happens to her, one day when you die,they are provided with a house to live in.

-----------------------------

"Yes it's completely different to have your own place instead of living in somebody else's place"

The main problem here is that you don't live in your own place. But actually live in somebody else's place.

Spot on.

Again, if you're flush enough to buy/build a house every time you get married, or REALLY think this is the last one, go for it.

Just I see lots of guys put in too high a proportion of their retirement nest egg, and then feel like they can't afford to leave anymore if/when it's all gone pear-shaped and "have to" put up with miserable IMO slavery in their dotage.

Bottom line is keep your options open, Freedom ISN'T just another word, for nothing left to lose.

• Like 1

Bottom line is keep your options open, Freedom ISN'T just another word, for nothing left to lose.

Kris Kristofferson, yay for Christian country music!

I prefer "Burden of Freedom", which tells the same story.

Edited by BritManToo

Britman is so correct.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

Geez you couldn't resist could you. Yes your one of those farang here with the new family and second or third chance after it went to rubbish in farang land. Fact is average age of expats living here on sustainable income I guess is 50 up. Most of us don't need or want the replacement family. Go live in the issan village. I wish you well. What is your barrow ain't mine. Got to go. Time to gave a shag.

Britman is so correct.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

Geez you couldn't resist could you. Yes your one of those farang here with the new family and second or third chance after it went to rubbish in farang land. Fact is average age of expats living here on sustainable income I guess is 50 up. Most of us don't need or want the replacement family. Go live in the issan village. I wish you well. What is your barrow ain't mine. Got to go. Time to gave a shag.

There is no real economic justification at this time for buying property.

There is no legal basis for buying a property.

There is no need to slag someone off because they have, it's a choice..not always a good one but it's their choice.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is no real economic justification at this time for buying property.

There is no need to slag someone off because they have, it's a choice..not always a good one but it's their choice.

Didn't know god was posting here. Not? Well then how would you know there is no economic justification for buying property? How would you know there was no legal basis?

It is in my wife's economic interest and she has a legal basis to buy property.

What other reason has a man to get married than to further the interests of his wife?

Given the exceptions of the father in law owing a liquor store.

Edited by thailiketoo

There is no real economic justification at this time for buying

property.

Didn't know god was posting here. Not? Well then how would you know there is no economic justification for buying property? How would you know there was no legal basis?

It is in my wife's economic interest and she has a legal basis to buy property.

What other reason has a man to get married than to further the interests of his wife?

Given the exceptions of the father in law owing a liquor store.

Again your banging on about the married farang here. Some very happy some not. That's not the point. Point is here in Thailand buying some real estate and having it in Thai chicks name is basically a donation. Don't get me wrong I've only been here two years. With a young Thai now ,lovely girl and if I was with her in say another 5 years, yes I would buy her a condo. Point is its a GIFT/DONATION for all our time together.Not ddissimilar to fararg world. And houourable thing given she can't work for a normal income.

I didn't say don't buy.

Based on economic models it is probably cheaper to rent currently than buy?

Legal basis from the prospective of a farang - no direct ownership .

It could be argued that the economic well being of your wife ( at this time) maybe better served by investing in a different class of asset.

I don't believe in god, but you clearly do because of your continual preaching!!