M79 grenade hits site near palace, marchers

Lite Beer

M79 grenade hits site near palace, marchers
The Sunday Nation

30230444-01_big.gif

Police investigators examine two vehicles damaged in an explosion near yesterday

BANGKOK: -- An explosion occurred near the Chitralada Palace railway station yesterday as several thousand anti-government protesters were marching to gather at the Royal Plaza.

A taxi and a saloon car were slightly damaged in the explosion. Nobody was injured in the incident that occurred in the afternoon.

Explosive ordnance disposal officials checked the scene and concluded that the explosion was caused by a grenade fired from an M79 grenade launcher.

Thaworn Senneam, a leader of the protest, rejected an allegation that the explosion was caused by the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee, which held yesterday's mass rally.

"It is nonsense and untrue. The PDRC did not create the incident in order to attract sympathy or interest, as has been alleged by some people," he said.

Thaworn said the explosion occurred just about 100 metres from a group of marching protesters. He said the grenade was intended at the protesters, adding that the security would be further stepped up following this latest in a host of attacks targeting protesters.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-30

My first thought was that the guys caught at NACC had been released on bail by Police, but I read elsewhere they went to 2 different prisons as one was already wanted for car theft. Police have no proof they actually fired the grenades ( just had guns ) at NACC so may be the same guys as their aim is really bad.

During yesterday's peaceful protest of tens of thousands I wondered how many grenade attacks the terrorists would attempt to perpetrate on them. 1 is 1 more than there should be, but it is less than what I expected. One could wonder what the reaction of the terrorists would have been when the protestors that respect all the principles of democracy removed them from the last bastion of democracy, the NACC building had they had those grenade launchers and AK-47's? I suspect it would have turned bloody and unless another brave Wiwat, that defended innocent civilians in Laksi, was available it would have been a slaughter of innocent 15 principle supporters that feel that an accused terrorist, accused mass murderer, convicted criminal unelectable fugitive is not the right man to run Thailand . Bravo to the army for finding that terrorist cache of deadly arsenal that the police were not capable of finding on their own. Bravo.

• Like 2

The picture just doesn't add up. Two wing mirror covers pulled off - in the wrong direction! (assuming the grenade let off in the area the disposal guy is taking the picture of) Not a dent or piece of shrapnel visible on either car. No dent in the tarmac, and an open bonnet on the white car (woz that all about?) Seems a bit suspicious to me. If there really was an M79 grenade, I'd guess it must have been a Chinese copy.

• Like 1

Wow, Thaksin was really scraping the bottom of the barrel when he formed this army of paid thugs and assassins, the Thai Rouge.

They remind me of the orcs in Lord of the Rings, except they are real.

People talk about all the good things Thaksin has done for the Isaan people. The best thing he did was to rid the villages of all the lazy, drunken, good for nothing bums, much to the detriment of places like Bangkok etc.

The picture just doesn't add up. Two wing mirror covers pulled off - in the wrong direction! (assuming the grenade let off in the area the disposal guy is taking the picture of) Not a dent or piece of shrapnel visible on either car. No dent in the tarmac, and an open bonnet on the white car (woz that all about?) Seems a bit suspicious to me. If there really was an M79 grenade, I'd guess it must have been a Chinese copy.

Interesting, so now you think that the police are part of an anti-red shirt conspiracy?

Interesting, so now you think that the police are part of an anti-red shirt conspiracy?

The police are even arresting redshirts now so maybe the worms are turning?

The police are even arresting redshirts now so maybe the worms are turning?

Or maybe it was that in that instance the army joined in on the patrol that found those armed Red Shirts.