Is the quality of tourist changing or are they getting tighter?

Phuketboy

Sure we are still seeing many tourists coming to Thailand, some first timers looking to explore the land of smiles and others being seasonal who have been here many times over the years. However, is the type of tourist we are attracting changing, or are they getting tighter? I remember being a tourist here many years ago, first time doing all the day tours by day and then partying by night. I don't consider myself to be a big drinker or a big spender at all, but I'm certainly not tight either. When living in a place, we tend not to really go on tours or drink everyday, but when on holiday, I like to enjoy myself, go sight seeing and have a few. Back in Australia or England a night out would easily cost $150 (5000 baht) or more if I was with a partner or getting into rounds. When visiting Thailand as a tourist, I found this to be the same, a night out by myself costing 5000 baht and when buying rounds, 10000 plus would be the norm. This is still the same now that I'm living here.

Talking to some friends over dinner last night and one of the guys who operates a tour company mentioned yesterday that tourists don't seem to be spending money the same as they use to. Another who has a few bars backed this up as he has noticed that tourists are not spending money in the bars like they use to either. Personally, I have noticed this with my bar and restaurant (catering for tourists), but I haven't noticed this with my professional businesses (catering for everyone). So the question was asked, is the quality or type of tourist changing in Thailand. Are the people more health conscious therefore not drinking as much? Are people not doing the tours as much because the tourists tend to be seasonal and have already done these? Have people become more tight with their money the last few years? If this is the case and they don't want to spend money, why come on holiday to another country in the first place? I understand that people want to experience the culture among other things, but Phuket and Pattaya isn't the real Thailand, it's make believe built around what the Thai's think the tourists want to see. As we all know, if they want to experience the real culture and real Thailand then they need to head to Isaan, small villages as well as the cities, to get the full picture and they arn't doing this either.

The questions were asked around the table and quite a few comments and suggestions thrown about as well. Has anyone else noticed this?

Maybe the demographic profile of the "tourist" has changed ?

More Chinese and Korean people on package deals ?

Russians who buy their booze from the "/7" ?

Not really difficult to understand.

Stand by for the "bargain" low season bar sales !

• Like 1

The low season is just round the corner, that's why even though I do have a bar and restaurant, my main businesses have nothing to do with this area. You bring up some very good points with the people on package deals, although these have always been around same with 7/11. I like the point brought up earlier in regard to the banks not giving credit cards out so easily, this would justify the one week millionaires not having cash hahahahaha.

Its also the retail industry that is taking a hit. I have a friend that sold clothing at MBK in Bangkok until middle of last year. She said the change in tourist from USA and Europeans to Russian, Chinese and Koreans greatly cut into her income because the tourist from the later three countries shop but do not buy unless in very small quanities if at all. The Indians and Arabs still continue to buy but the loss of US and European customers really cut into her income. Also the constant demostrations in central Bangkok by one Thai group or the other did not help the situation.

• Like 1

I think the bolded has a very big part in it. Now Thailand is becoming more of a package tour place for other cultures. Previous visitors are in more of a financial bind and looking else where when they do go.